DH52 conversation pit Topic

jt7's team is scaring me
11/8/2016 5:43 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 11/8/2016 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Preliminary evals, anyone?
that would be cool
11/8/2016 5:48 PM
My team will be impossible to evaluate. Doubt I'll even draft my starting five, but we'll see.
11/8/2016 7:36 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 11/8/2016 5:43:00 PM (view original):
jt7's team is scaring me
Funny, I'm not sure if it's a playoff team lol. Kinda feel like I've had some bad luck being sandwiched between elebowitz and sly. Missed out on Dwight, Ben Wallace, and Camby on the pick before mine in rounds 1-3.
We have good efg/defense combination, but I really wanted to focus on having a cleaner team as far as fouls and TOs than I usually do. Then I draft Shawn Kemp....
11/8/2016 7:49 PM
I like jkaye, elebowitz, and mikee's teams the most atm.
11/8/2016 7:58 PM
It feels like cheating to say this because it's almost always the case but dh and sly are building some scary looking teams
11/8/2016 8:49 PM
jhsukow's up soon. Somebody else pick you-know-who
11/9/2016 12:08 PM
So, uh, well... Jerry Lucas fell pretty far guys
11/9/2016 3:15 PM
Posted by hoopsdude on 11/9/2016 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Jerry Lucas's low usg% and defense forces people to pick players that can compensate for this. Picking him too early will seriously limit the options, thus more people might feel safer picking Jerry Lucas only after they are sure picking him won't confine their later picks too much.
11/9/2016 3:36 PM
Posted by hoopsdude on 11/9/2016 3:15:00 PM (view original):
not as far as Pat Ewing
11/9/2016 3:42 PM
I've decided to do some "so far" evals, as I have nothing else to do. Because I'm going through a "I don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to this site" phase, I'll be as open minded and brief as possible.

1. jcred5 - Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Walton, Gary Payton: Walton and Wilt makes sense. If I ever had Wilt, which I never have, my plan would be to surround him with fantastic role players, and Bill qualifies. I don't know if GP is a great fit there, but I understand it. Much depends on your next couple of picks.
2. hoopsdude - Shaquille O'Neal, Donyell Marshall, Tracy McGrady, Jerry Lucas: Ballsy pick. I really like T-Mac and Shaq together. Combined, they produce a lot of free throw attempts, and Shaq helps with T Mac's efficiency problems. Lucas fills a need. Probably a playoff team going forward, mostly because of the Lucas pick.
3. jhsukow - LeBron James, Stephen Curry: smdh. yep, that's all you get.
4. cjok1051 - Elton Brand, Amar'e Stoudemire, Tom Boerwinkle, Kevin Johnson, Nate McMillan, Jason Terry: I don't know what the plan is here. Dodgy defense, dodgy rebounding usually isn't good. Not enthused, sorry man.
5. ysw128 - Michael Jordan, Hassan Whiteside, Marques Johnson, Mark Price: One of my true contender picks. Your next pick is crucial.
6. thomcat - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Klay Thompson, Emeka Okafor: You're taking the ball out of Kareem's hands. I've seen a team with this core before, and it didn't work. Skeptical.
7. copernicus - Moses Malone, Terry Porter, Mookie Blaylock, Andrew Bynum: Nicely done. Perimeter offense to compliment Moses' paint offense. Bynum is a relatively low FGA, high FTA option, but you have guys like Blaylock to offset that. I like it. Almost certainly a playoff team in my book.
8. uptowngbv - Dennis Rodman, Anthony Davis, James Harden, Carlos Boozer: I don't like the duo of Rodman and Davis. I especially don't like it when combined with James Harden, who complicates things with TO's. You could've waited to fill the PF position. in general, not sold.
9. samuelyork93 - Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Andre Drummond, Rajon Rondo: Rondo probably isn't the right point guard, but Russell/Drummond is perfect. Now you just need a second scorer and you'll be set. Likely playoff team.
10. mikee1 - Karl Malone, Deron Williams, Dikembe Mutombo, Terrell Brandon: i've decided i don't like Brandon. therefore, i won't taint your perception with my bias. it wouldn't be responsible of me.
11. milest - David Robinson, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Webber, Clifford Ray: i would've done something else instead of pick Webber. i don't think he's a good fit. he turns the ball over a little too much, especially if you're going with heavy minute Admiral, and Kawhi already doesn't get to the line that much. that may not matter in the end result, but i don't think you have enough passing yet. probable playoff team, but not sold on your ability to go deep. again - and this goes for everything - what do i know? i haven't won ****.
12. eleibowitz - Dwight Howard, Manu Ginobili, Marcus Camby, Serge Ibaka: Howard and Ginobili both don't shoot much and turn the ball over a bit, despite their high usage. i'm not buying it. someone else might, but i'm not.
13. jt7king - Chris Paul, Alonzo Mourning, Shawn Kemp, Larry Nance: ****. Defense, check. Blocks, check. High fouls, check. Rebounding, check. eFG%, check. FTA's, check. Late round shooter, no problem. Passing, check. This is why I love Chris Paul, and his teams always seem to do well. Almost certain playoff team/contender in my book.
15. vancem - Dwyane Wade, Chauncey Billups, Buck Williams, Tree Rollins: Williams/Rollins......edgy. uhhhh......the efficiency is there, the shooting is there. something doesn't smell right here, but i guess it works on paper, which is all we care about. not completely sold, but i'd buy some stock now if there were stock to buy, probably sell it after the season ended. second round or conference finals seems doable. not sure about anything beyond that.
16. dh555 - Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, Rudy Gobert, Tyson Chandler: yeah, this works. something doesn't smell right - oh yeah, it's the fact that Gobert and Chandler are very low usage guys, so you'll need to pick some usage to compliment KD. if you don't, you might not have enough defense or scoring to dominate the way you have in the past.
17. beachhouse - Jason Kidd, Magic Johnson, Charlie Ward: i thought you were going for the assist bump, but i guess not. obviously incomplete.
18. longtallbrad - Tim Duncan, Scottie Pippen, Gerald Wallace, Derek Harper: Harper was a hell of a pickup in the 4th. I don't think Wallace was the pick so early. Probably a playoff team, but you tend to put together some unnecessarily inefficient teams. Duncan's not a good free throw shooter, Scottie's not a good free throw shooter, Gerald's not, Derek isn't in some seasons. probably a first round exit in my view, but a playoff team. not unlike your last team in this league, in my opinion. underrated and solid.
19. bds9992 - Bob McAdoo, Hakeem Olajuwon, Ray Allen, Bobby Jones: go ahead, somebody eval me. i'm interested.
20. jkaye24 - John Stockton, DeAndre Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Horace Grant: Well done, I must say. I don't think Horace was the pick, and it all comes down to your 2nd scorer, but well done so far. mostly incomplete, although the framework is there.
21. pennsylvania - Artis Gilmore, Oscar Robertson, Brent Barry, Mel Daniels: i was planning on naming my team Old Skool, but i can't get away with that with this team in the same league as me. Artis/Oscar is turnovers and rebounds galore. Mel just adds on. too many two point field goals for my taste, BUT your next pick could make it happen for you.
22. maglor1 - Kevin Garnett, Kevin McHale, Jerry West, Walt Frazier: Frazier and West is probably deceivingly very good. It really depends on what seasons you use, but I'm kind of feeling it.....but of course you need three point shooting.
23. amerk1180 - Anfernee Hardaway, Draymond Green, Joakim Noah, Andrei Kirilenko, Robert Parish: Lots of potential here. You could play Kirilenko at SG, Dray at SF, Noah at C, or younger Noah at SF, Parish at C, Dray at PF, Kirilenko at SG. so much potential and flexibility, but not enough scoring yet. you can remedy that, but very nicely done.
24. banditone - Shawn Marion, Karl-Anthony Towns, Maurice Cheeks, Paul Westphal: i get what you were going for with Towns, but you know he wasn't get picked for another four rounds, right? you know that! for crying out loud.....
11/9/2016 6:16 PM
12. eleibowitz - Dwight Howard, Manu Ginobili, Marcus Camby, Serge Ibaka: Howard and Ginobili both don't shoot much and turn the ball over a bit, despite their high usage. i'm not buying it. someone else might, but i'm not

High usage but dont shoot much? Confused by that.... yes Manu has about 2200 mins but Howard has around 2800. He shoots plenty plus I brought the TOV down with Camby and Serge. Anyway thanks for doing the evals!
11/9/2016 6:24 PM
yeah, but Camby and Serge don't have a lot of usage per man so it doesn't really count for as much. i'm saying Ginobili and Howard don't have a lot of actual FGA's, rate aside, yet they're your top two picks. tough to maintain that quality without volume.
11/9/2016 6:28 PM

19. bds9992 - Bob McAdoo, Hakeem Olajuwon, Ray Allen, Bobby Jones:
go ahead, somebody eval me. i'm interested.

first of all how hard does the WIS forum platform suck? I mean copy paste tedium, formatting nonsense, navigation? just another example of ****** decision making on the part of admin but I digress...

I love Bob, I have always loved Bob, I loved Bob way before it was cool to love Bob - I used to win leagues using Clyde Frazier, undrafted player, Bob, other undrafted player and baby KG - and he has been creeping up and I don't like it - you people are getting too wise, I'm not like ash, I don't want to share the knowledge but yeah Bob was a solid pick who wouldn't have made it past the turn

People (like me) complain about Bill Russell's defense ratings (for all but one season) because they should be around 120 but they're 70 (in most seasons) and that's reasonable but Hakeem's 100 is like as not going to do all that much for you in any given game and his other stuff like blocks and steals just don't swing the pendulum as much as they should and his efg in a game where that is the alpha and omega, not that great - his steals should offset his turnovers but that's not how the sim works, he's a little foul-ish vs not that prone to draw fouls - he is a top ten player IRL that the sim has nerfed BUT as a second rounder he's fine - you've got a decent front court

Jesus spreads the floor at high efficiency, defensively he is neutral - no +/- to the equation (literally - this is how it works - see the part about how I don't like to share but I'm throwing you a plum, it's a factor in the shooting equation and D 50 = base, neither + nor -) - super low TO for the usage, nice package of passing and decent boards for the position

Bobby Jones - stopper, which maybe impacts a given game (see my equation note above) - high efg on 2 points of usage, steals and blocks but steals and blocks are a boondoggle in the sim - ok rebounding for an SF but just that and not a net plus - some assists

so what have you got? some 50-50 (zone) scorers with Jesus trying to pull us out of default defensive zone - pretty decent defense as long as you can hide Jesus w a stopper at the point (or 3) - passing is positionally ok but you'll still want a chunk of as% from your point - playoffs? I have no clue, the fact that I know how this thing works doesn't help and in fact makes it harder because everyone has a working model in this league and it's a crap shoot

11/9/2016 7:03 PM
Yeah I like the Manu-Howard inside outside combo. Also, Brandon is pretty good. Good defense, some 3s, assists.

For your team, there were guys on the board when you picked McAdoo that I value higher, but if that's who you want to build around nothing wrong with that. Too bad Hakeem isn't dominate like he was IRL, a shame really. Still, decent combo down in the post. Curious which Hakeem season you pick. Not a fan of picking Allen in the 3rd. I'm guessing your thought process was you wanted 3s to balance offensively? You could've waited and gotten someone of similar skills in the 5th or 6th. If you had gotten a nice PG there, add that to the nice grab of Bobby Jones in the 4th, and I'd think you'd be in better shape. That was a nice grab of Jones, I had him on my target list.
11/9/2016 7:07 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...10 Next ▸
DH52 conversation pit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.