COLLEGE FOOTBALL (FULL) Topic

Aren't DEF, OL, K, P and RET representatives supposed to be full-time starters for the team and season you choose?
12/12/2018 4:19 AM
Posted by kilgore on 12/12/2018 4:19:00 AM (view original):
Aren't DEF, OL, K, P and RET representatives supposed to be full-time starters for the team and season you choose?
Was there a specific team/player you're referring to? It's difficult for me to verify rosters to ensure somebody used a starter at O-Line or Defense since they are rotated out quite often. As long as they played one game with the unit it's fine with me.

I will say for kick/punt returners, they need to have at least returned 1 kick/punt for the associated Special Teams Unit.
12/12/2018 6:14 PM
Well, I haven't checked them all, but a couple stood out to me. Jim Houston (Ohio State) was a linebacker, not an offensive lineman. Ryan Nece (UCLA) didn't start in any games in the season used.
12/13/2018 12:40 AM (edited)
Jim Houston would definitely be ineligible for O-line. I admit I haven't had a chance to verify rosters but definitely will do so when the league gets closer to filling. I'm also moving this weekend so probably not much happening there!
12/13/2018 2:29 AM
Loren Toews (Cal) never started a game for the '74 Steelers, Jeff Winans (USC) never started a game for the '75 Bills, Casey Wiegmann (Iowa) started for the Chicago Bears in '98, not the Broncos. One of the best things about past versions of this league has been the diversity of defenses and offensive lines due to the theme. Otherwise, it becomes like most leagues, where most everyone picks from among a handful of the highest priced options and you typically face the same defenses and o-lines several times during the season.
12/13/2018 7:11 AM (edited)
I honestly don't know what constitutes "extreme diversification" in your mind. I constructed my team based on the "all the same rules still apply" line used in the original post. Past versions of this theme that I've played in have required that the defense, offensive line and punt/kick return team selections each have at least one starter for the selected season from your school. If the point you're trying to make is that the player/team pool prohibits any of the selected schools from following those criteria, give me an example and I'm pretty sure I can prove you wrong.

If the intent for this league is instead to relax the guidelines so that any alumnus on the roster for a given role will suffice, that's fine. That represents a change from the most commonly used guidelines for this theme, however, and it's only fair that everyone have the same understanding when constructing their team. I'm fine with making changes to my roster if need be.
12/13/2018 5:05 PM (edited)
Okay let's clear this up.

I have no problem with Loren Toews from the '74 Steelers on Cal Golden Bears. Althought he didn't start a game, he played in 14 and recovered 3 fumbles so he did have an impact on defense.

Jeff Winans did start 3 games, per his football-reference page, at Guard for the '75 Bills so he is also eligible.

Casey Wiegmann needs to be changed as he did play for the 1998 Bears, not the Broncos. Good catch!

Again, for kick/punt returners, they need to have returned at least 1 punt/kick for the associated special teams unit otherwise they are not eligible. I will verify everyone's roster before the league starts.

Hopefully this is acceptable to everybody.
12/13/2018 5:04 PM
I'll get in this with an unlikely team and hope for a few upsets.

Kansas Jayhawks

Defense: 1996 Green Bay Packers - Gilbert Brown
O-Line: 1958 Cleveland Browns - Mike McCormack
Special Team: 2008 Minnesota Vikings - Charles Gordon
12/14/2018 5:46 PM
Kansas ain't so bad. Assume you'll be calling a lot of run plays?!? You going to run the wishbone?
12/15/2018 9:56 AM
I'm not giving up any plans
12/15/2018 1:03 PM
Posted by rmarsh915 on 12/15/2018 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I'm not giving up any plans
After last night's performance, I really want to use 2018 Christian McCaffrey!
12/18/2018 11:22 AM
Posted by kilgore on 12/13/2018 12:40:00 AM (view original):
Well, I haven't checked them all, but a couple stood out to me. Jim Houston (Ohio State) was a linebacker, not an offensive lineman. Ryan Nece (UCLA) didn't start in any games in the season used.
Changed my OL player for you.
12/18/2018 10:36 PM
Does anyone have Georgia locked down? If not I will take them.
12/18/2018 10:37 PM
Georgia is available.
12/18/2018 11:02 PM
Cool, thanks
12/19/2018 1:48 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
COLLEGE FOOTBALL (FULL) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.