LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Posted by crazystengel on 4/22/2018 10:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 4/22/2018 9:42:00 PM (view original):
but i don see how they can leave out James Ellroy

there is some unreadable people in that long pier to purple
So who you gonna snuff to make room for Ellroy? Surely not Louis L'Amour. Maybe one of the HP Lovecrafts? HP's currently holding down the #15 and 92 spots.
Harriet Beecher Stowe
4/22/2018 11:01 PM
Another worthy James not on the list is Thurber. I'll bump Don DeLillo to make room for him.

I see Bernard Malamud at #95, only two spots ahead of Judy Blume. Cheever at 81 and Roth at 73. All three should be top 20.
4/22/2018 11:09 PM
we're having a competition now i see

how old are you

don really care but like to know the circumstances of my defeat
4/22/2018 11:17 PM
No competition, I'm just giving opinions on an Internet ranking listicle thingy. And as far as this stuff goes, it's not really a bad one at all.

According to my WIS profile I occupy the 45-54 range. The WIS profile doesn't lie.
4/22/2018 11:22 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/22/2018 10:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 4/22/2018 9:42:00 PM (view original):
but i don see how they can leave out James Ellroy

there is some unreadable people in that long pier to purple
So who you gonna snuff to make room for Ellroy? Surely not Louis L'Amour. Maybe one of the HP Lovecrafts? HP's currently holding down the #15 and 92 spots.
were you kidding about louie lamour..im a big fan of westerns...i think he is great.
i didnt see arthur conan doyle or edgar rice burroughs..must have missed them or ian fleming or ed mcbain or mickey spillane or ross mcdonald or john mcdonald or fredrick brown.....hg wells ?
4/22/2018 11:30 PM
Some of those writers you mentioned aren't American, so that's why they're not on that particular list.

I've never read a Louis L'Amour novel. I singled him out because his name on the list grabbed my attention, as I probably hadn't come across it in decades. Was he really a good writer? I have a hard time imagining someone who cranked 'em out that fast being high calibre. According to Wikipedia he published "89 novels, 14 short-story collections, and two full-length works of nonfiction." Could be I just envy industriousness!

Plus, the subject matter. I was forced to read a couple western (or maybe more accurately "prairie") novels in school. Maybe that soured me on the tumbleweeds and cattle-wrangling genre.
4/23/2018 12:20 AM
going to work every day can also get you into the Hall

really? prairie?

your use of that word is a argument for commen core!
4/23/2018 8:47 AM
Look up Frederick Philip Grove (or "most boring novelist who ever lived" -- he answers to either one!) and tell me what you'd call him.

Critic person: "Grove gave a voice to the land-hungry pioneers of the West, but also cloaked his past in the ostensible honesty of the prairie pioneer novel."

What's wrong with the word prairie?
4/23/2018 9:12 AM
4/23/2018 9:35 AM (edited)
Latest from Tom Tomorrow:

4/23/2018 9:29 AM
ill read 1-2 louie lamour books each year on average....he is a great writer......if he chose mystery as his genre he would have been famed in that genre.
as a kid i loved reading about the western heroes...davy crockett......wild bill hickock......wyatt burp......buffalo bill....custard.......kit carson........louie lamour writes about regular people thrust into circumstances requiring heroism and character....the stories are very literate and fun..ihighly reccomend them...fast reads......they are high caliber pistol packing paperbacks.
4/23/2018 9:35 AM
sing it brother
4/23/2018 9:42 AM
ostensible honesty

that right there is a conundrum
4/23/2018 9:45 AM
and that there conundrum is one of my favorite words.
4/23/2018 9:53 AM
grove: a immigrant who made his way

i hope he's quicker in the saddle than the guy who wrote Revenant
4/23/2018 9:55 AM
◂ Prev 1...411|412|413|414|415...530 Next ▸
LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.