BOWIS Autodraft Topic

Posted by benhoidal on 10/28/2023 10:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by berkelon on 10/28/2023 10:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 10/28/2023 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 10/28/2023 5:32:00 PM (view original):
I tried to make a list where my players played multiple positions and I also wanted players with multiple useable seasons so if I needed to use that $3 million season instead of that $7 million season I could make the money work and I end up with five guards. Oh well.
What’s wrong with 5 guards? I have 6.

I think this league more than other is a measure of how you can rate players in a vacuum. Every other draft you get to look at your team and figure out which player fits perfectly.

Personally, I think it should be a BOWIS staple. I’m sure I’ll get enough opposition on that that it won’t happen, but to me it’s clearly better than any of the other options that were proposed when we started this thing.
But if you look at how the governors ranked the players, it's not really a vacuum. If you treat it like a vacuum (which I think is the spirit of the theme) you run the risk of getting somewhat jobbed by the randomness of the positions you pull. If you try to finesse the vacuum, it takes some of the chance out of the equation, but you also lose some of the purity of the 1-168 ranking (which was the primary appeal to me of this theme, at least in theory). I'm really not unhappy with the theme, I swear. Now I'll move on to the business of trying to figure out how to win as many games as possible with this squad, which I actually like a bit, but which I'll undoubtedly just barely mismange to a slightly disappointing finish...

And big thanks for all the hard work! It is very appreciated, and I love these leagues!
I agree that it’s not really a vacuum. I think if we did this again too many people would just look at the lists of the 3-4 users who do the best this season and basically copy their lists. I actually think that lists should not be public. Rob should be the only one to see all the lists. No one else’s list is ever going to influence his own list.
It's fair. I posted it so that people could validate that the script operated correctly. I have deleted it now though.
10/28/2023 10:26 PM
Posted by robusk on 10/28/2023 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jcred5 on 10/28/2023 8:51:00 AM (view original):
Wow, I actually like my team if I can make the money work. Maybe this blind draft thing ain't so bad...

3. Jordan
21. Holiday
26. Nance
42. Parish
44. Ge Wallace
71. O'Quinn
76. Andersen
That teams is not only incredible but also very on brand for you.
It is - I was thinking it could be a competitive Savage team. I have actually done very few Jordan builds - never drafted high enough in Savage and his salary has scared me in ODL.
10/29/2023 10:17 AM
20 Kawhi
125 Marques
68 Boucher / 125 Millsap
116 Amar'e
29 KG / 77 Jonas

The main issues are I'm paying for too much usage (paying too much period but I've definitely seen other squads in worse shape), there's no passing, frontcourt defense is a problem, and there are only two guards. I've got some out of position blocking, but I'd still like more overall. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play.

Really, there's enough here to work with that I'm not too upset. Kawhi and Boucher felt like good value. I'll have to limit the spending but I can fill my remaining guard minutes without worrying about usage or filling huge defensive holes. TS, OReb, and towels should be strengths while defense outside of Amar'e/JV is looking stout.

In particular, I'd love to go back and take Aaron Gordon, Iggy, or GP II instead of Millsap. I also just kind of assumed I was ranking Amar'e and JV low enough that I wouldn't end up with them, those feel like my most questionable picks especially in combination. I'll probably end up using a partial Millsap, a lower budget KG (thinking 07-08), add 1-2 more bigs to the rotation, and then fill out the guard spot.
10/30/2023 11:34 PM
DH - I'm not sure whether to say "congrats" you unloaded Harden and the Embiid, Batum, Covington era is underway or "sorry man" because this is step one to dismantling the team. Need a little help... let me know.
11/1/2023 8:49 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 11/1/2023 8:49:00 AM (view original):
DH - I'm not sure whether to say "congrats" you unloaded Harden and the Embiid, Batum, Covington era is underway or "sorry man" because this is step one to dismantling the team. Need a little help... let me know.
Everything I’ve ever read about Morey makes him sound like he is really an absolutely insufferable person (who also is a menace to cyclists and pedestrians). The Danny Green thing is the latest (get him to restructure his contract for the salary cap and then waive him anyway), but the way he treats random working people like waiters, hotel staff and airport staff etc is just as bad.

Harden has probably been my least favorite person to watch in the NBA for a decade. But almost certainly Morey made him promises he reneged on which actually has me rooting for Harden to get vengeance in this scenario. Never thought I would see the day.
11/2/2023 4:35 PM
congrats for sure

its such a relief to be done with the harden drama...im excited for this season now...nurse is an already noticeable improvement over doc(actual movement when embiid is getting doubled instead if bunching 3 guys in the corner for 1 defender to easily cover)...soon to be all-star maxey is ready to take the lead guard role and we have picks and expirings to improve the team this season(OG?)

also really excited to get my boy cov back! curious to see of hes learned how to dribble and make a layup since ive last seen him haha

11/2/2023 5:21 PM
Posted by robusk on 11/2/2023 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Everything I’ve ever read about Morey makes him sound like he is really an absolutely insufferable person (who also is a menace to cyclists and pedestrians). The Danny Green thing is the latest (get him to restructure his contract for the salary cap and then waive him anyway), but the way he treats random working people like waiters, hotel staff and airport staff etc is just as bad.

Harden has probably been my least favorite person to watch in the NBA for a decade. But almost certainly Morey made him promises he reneged on which actually has me rooting for Harden to get vengeance in this scenario. Never thought I would see the day.
green thing really bothered me...such a good dude
11/2/2023 5:21 PM
Posted by dh555 on 11/2/2023 5:21:00 PM (view original):
congrats for sure

its such a relief to be done with the harden drama...im excited for this season now...nurse is an already noticeable improvement over doc(actual movement when embiid is getting doubled instead if bunching 3 guys in the corner for 1 defender to easily cover)...soon to be all-star maxey is ready to take the lead guard role and we have picks and expirings to improve the team this season(OG?)

also really excited to get my boy cov back! curious to see of hes learned how to dribble and make a layup since ive last seen him haha

I like Nurse too. I have a soft spot for Doc, but he's better served calling games at this point than coaching them. I'm sure Harden moving on will give them a boost. I can't imagine what's going to happen with the Clippers.
11/5/2023 7:23 PM
i cant wait to watch the clippers season unfold..the nba is wild

lue said he wants harden playing off the ball with russ running point...thats gonna be hilarious

im excited for wednesday jcred...your celtics look unbeatable right now
11/5/2023 9:57 PM
Posted by dh555 on 11/5/2023 9:57:00 PM (view original):

lue said he wants harden playing off the ball with russ running point...thats gonna be hilarious

Wednesday should be fun. Two 5-1 teams going against each other.
11/5/2023 10:03 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 11/5/2023 10:03:00 PM (view original):

i see what you did there...
11/5/2023 10:07 PM
Posted by dh555 on 11/5/2023 10:07:00 PM (view original):

as did I. Guess you like the T wolves tonight...
11/6/2023 8:34 AM
Houston is now 3-3.

I am irrationally excited right now. I was wearing Rockets regalia during a company-wide conference call.
11/7/2023 11:39 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 11/6/2023 8:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 11/5/2023 10:07:00 PM (view original):

as did I. Guess you like the T wolves tonight...
edwards is a problem...i only caught the overtime in that game but that was enough...its gonna be a fun year for you ben
11/7/2023 2:26 PM
Posted by PBandJ on 11/7/2023 11:39:00 AM (view original):
Houston is now 3-3.

I am irrationally excited right now. I was wearing Rockets regalia during a company-wide conference call.
haha...im gonna have to catch a rockets game...need to see sengun in full game action
11/7/2023 2:27 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
BOWIS Autodraft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.