WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

FINAL REGULAR SEASON UPDATE: 63-99

Les Nessman with the season wrap-up:

It was an exciting and tense final 12 games of the season for the Venus Flytraps. However, a 4 game winning streak, then after dropping 4 straight, coming back to take 2 out of their final 3 games of the season led the 'traps to just barely accomplishing their only late-season goal: avoiding 100 losses. The team finished 63-99 overall, a decent improvement over last year's 45-117 record under prior ownership. They did have the second worst record in the AL this season and the 4th worst record overall, meaning at least a very good draft pick next season.

Offensively, the team's best player this season was DH Derrin Wilkinson, who led the team in batting average at .314. Third baseman Marc Buford led the team in home runs with 39 while rookie right fielder Matt Kirwan was second in homers with 36, while batting .273 and knocking in 105 runs. While not a spectacular season for Kirwan, it was enough to put him on the AL Rookie of the Year ballot, though he is a longshot at best to win the award. Mention should also be made of fielder Rube Darr who stole 43 bases to lead the team while only being thrown out twice all season.

On the pitching side, Clarence Smith led the team with 11 wins, but he lost 16. His ERA of 4.20 was also best among the starters. Carlos Martin had a solid season in the bullpen posting a 3-1 record, 3.86 ERA and picking up 2 saves after taking over the closer role very late in the season when Daniel Truman was traded.

In all, it was a pretty bad season for the team. However, management has assured fans that taking a few lumps is part of the larger plan of rebuilding this franchise that was in such trouble when the current management took over.

Perhaps one of the best signs of new management's plan is happening at the one minor league level that is almost entirely made up of new talent - Rookie League. Although only qualifying for the Rookie playoffs as the 6th and final seed, the Rookie 'traps have knocked off the #2 and #3 seeds and currently hold a 3-2 series lead in the ALCS over top seeded Minnesota for the right to play Buffalo in the Rookie League World Series.

That is it for today. Management will be by soon with a couple of end-of-season releases. I will be back one more time to update you all on the fate of the Rookie League playoff team.
6/30/2007 9:17 AM
POST-SEASON EVENTS Part 1

Once the regular season is complete for the major league team, there are several things to do. Most importantly, obviously, is playing the playoff games if your team qualifies. As I mentioned previously, I normally cut 1-2 pitchers off of my roster, drop down to a 3 man rotation (occasionally using a 4th starter if I see that one of my starters will not be 100% by the time of his next start), and add an extra position player or two to my bench. Then it is just try to optimize your lineup, your pitcher, and your settings and try to win each game.

In addition, after the regular season is done, I continue to follow any of my minor league teams that are still alive in their playoffs. And don't forget to do the fun stuff like postseason award voting (voting ends and results announced after Game 1 of the World Series is played).

I also make certain to check the waiver wire daily even if I am completely eliminated from all levels of play. Players waived after the season ends cost nothing to claim, so you can claim them even if you have no salary room at all. However, make certain you dont claim a guy with a bad contract for next season or longer. A lot of players do release guys at this time of year. While I believe this is a mistake, I don't mind grabbing a guy or two if I think he can help me and he does not have a bad contract. Plus, if the guy will be a free agent next season, I can grab him then sign him to a deal for next year immediately.

With regard to releasing players, I say it is a mistake. Most of the guys I see released at this time are career minor leaguers under the impression that the owner doesnt want to pay his salary for next season. I have yet to have a team where an extra 55k salary or even ten has had any significant impact on my payroll. I have had teams with over 40 offseason retirement and over 20 minor league free agents though that can suddenly leave your minor league system rather deserted looking. And how do you fill it back up next year? By signing a bunch of 55k minor league free agents. Well if you are going to have to do that anyhow, why bother releasing them at the end of the prior season? Thus, with very limited exceptions (normally involving a guy that is making major league salary, has no major league future, and though not signed for next season, would not be a free agent after the season), I do not release at the end of the year.

With regard to claiming released players, I also keep an eye out for mediocre players that are going to be free agents and that have decent overall ratings. Why? Because if I claim the guy and place him on my 40 man roster, he may end up being a Type A or Type B free agent that someone trying to clear roster space goofed up and didnt think through before they release. This exact things happened in one of my other worlds - I claimed a guy who never played for me but he ended up being a Type A free agent that was signed by another team and now I have 2 great draft picks for doing nothing other than keeping an eye on the waiver wire!

The final thing I do (and I normally wait for this until the earlier of either (A) all my teams at all levels have their seasons complete or (B) the start of the major league World Series -- though this step can be done earlier) is what I call my "Season Wrapup". This is where I prepare for the world rollover and next season. As my Cincinnati Venus Flytraps are not quite there yet (due to the Rookie League team still playing), my post on this subject will have to wait a few more days.
6/30/2007 11:02 AM
BREAKING NEWS: HEARTBREAK IN THE MINORS

WKRP's Les Nessman with his final report of the season:

It is all over for the Rookie Leaguers. After knocking off the #2 and #3 seeds in the AL playoffs, and taking what seemed to be a commanding 3-1 series lead over #1 seed Minnesota, the 'traps were unable to finish the series off and have lost in 7 games. Game 7 was a true heartbreaker, as the team took a one run lead into the bottom of the 9th. Minnesota loaded the bases with nobody out. After the first out was recorded, a bases loaded walk tied the game and a grand slam homerun ended it.

In all, it was a very nice run for the 6th seeded 'traps who came 2 outs away from making it to the Rookie League World Series. It is now time to regroup and begin preparations for next season. In fact, management should be by shortly with the final release of the season.

I'll talk to you all again in Season 5! Until then, this has been Les Nessman, 2-time winner of the Buckeye News Hawk award, reporting to you from beautiful downtown Cincinnati!
7/1/2007 8:15 AM
Heartbreaking to say the last. Sparky can sometimes be so cruel, a slammy in the bottom of the 9th in game 7, geesh!
Tremendous thread, thanks for all the detailed info and for such an entertaining read.
btw, does making the playoffs and/or winning awards improve player development?
7/1/2007 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By pb15 on 7/01/2007
Heartbreaking to say the last. Sparky can sometimes be so cruel, a slammy in the bottom of the 9th in game 7, geesh!
Tremendous thread, thanks for all the detailed info and for such an entertaining read.
btw, does making the playoffs and/or winning awards improve player development?
As far as I can tell, no. However, a player having a successful year and getting lots of playing time does help development, and winning an award is a sign that the guy played well and got lots of playing time so players that win awards should develop faster, though not directly because of the award.

I have not seen any development boost for making minor league playoffs though I certainly think there should be one.
7/1/2007 1:11 PM
LONG TERM PLAN

While I still owe one more post about wrapping up the season (which I will get to soon), in looking back through this thread I realize that I never gave much in terms of long-term plans for this team. My goal in my first season was to get rid of the bad contracts and aging veterans so I can rebuild with youth. For the most part, I think I accomplished that goal. I started my first season with over 95 million in payroll. I will head into my second year with well under 30 million.

My goal for my second season will be to accumulate young talent. I will once again have a very high draft pick. I will also try to trade those few players that I have at the major league level that have trade value, hopefully for guys that are 1-2 years away from the big leagues. I will also concentrate on coaching and player development, as I intend for my "Fab Five" prospects of Rodriguez, Bennett, Farrel, Bonilla, and Abbott to all play a full season at AAA and be ready for the bigs by my third year.

At the major league level, I expect one more season of barely remaining respectable. I hope to improve on last season's win totals as some of my young stating pitchers that have decent talent get better. But winning at the big league level will not be my goal next year.

All of that should change when I hit my third season. By then, I expect to have at least 5 or 6, if not more, rookies ready to jump to the big league level. I hope to field a team full of young talent and take a run at a playoff spot. And as these guys grow over the years that follow, I will not only be looking at playoff spots, I hope to eventually contend for a championship.

Until these young guys have been in the league for 3 or 4 seasons, my payroll will be minimal and I will be able to fill any holes in my team with free agents. In the meantime, I will continue to have money to invest in scouting and the draft so I can develop players that can come up and replace the guys I am grooming right now if and when their contract demands become excessive.

In a nutshell, that is the plan. I will have 2 seasons (the one I just completed and next season) in which I do not expect to win at the big league level. But by the time I hit my third season, if all goes well, we should have a winning franchise in Cincinnati, and by the 4th or 5th year, a team that is not only capable of winning it all, but set with a deep minor league system that will allow it to contend for years to come.
7/1/2007 1:28 PM
This is a great thread Csherwood, and it has no business being on the third page. Just commenting to congratulate you on a good season and wish you luck for next year, and to bump this up for the new owners in Mr. October World.
7/3/2007 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By div1991 on 7/03/2007This is a great thread Csherwood, and it has no business being on the third page. Just commenting to congratulate you on a good season and wish you luck for next year, and to bump this up for the new owners in Mr. October World
Thanks. I have a new post coming tonight or sometime tomorrow.
7/3/2007 4:10 PM
Lookin forward to it as always.
7/3/2007 6:23 PM
POST-SEASON EVENTS Part 2 : SEASON WRAPUP

The final thing I will do at the end of the season is what I call my season wrapup. This is the time to take a close look at two different things: major league players that will be free agents and minor leaguers that may need to be added to your 40 man roster to keep them from becoming 6 year minor league free agents.

For my major league team, I check on anyone that is scheduled to be a free agent next season. This is done easily on the Free Agency page by just selecting your franchise and putting the season on next year. I then determine whether or not I want to sign any of these guys to a contract extension right now. There are a few things to keep in mind. First, you don't know at this point if the guy will be a Type A or Type B free agent, so if you decide to let him go hoping for extra draft picks, it is a bit of a crapshoot. The higher his overall rating though, the better chance you have to get those picks.

Second, even if you are certain to get draft picks - would you be better off resigning him and trying to trade him at the start of next season? I have done this a few times and sometimes it comes back to bite you if you cannot move the guy.

Third, what ratings increase/decrease will the guy have in the offseason? I had a 36 year old pitcher on one team that wanted over 8 million. I decided to let him go and sure enough his overall rating took a major offseason hit and at the start of the following season his free agency demand was down to 3 million, a number I was willing to pay him.

Finally, if the guy's overall rating is in the 70s or higher, he will probably refuse to negotiate with you the following season during the preseason day where you negotiate with your own free agents. But you can sign him now, at the end of the season. And you may even be able to get him for just a one year extension as long as his demand for a single year is met. Remember - just because a guy wants a 4 year deal doesnt mean you have to offer him 4. You can offer 1, 2, 3, or even 5 if you want. For the most part, if you give him what he wants for his yearly salary, he will take the deal. EDIT: This is no longer true due to a change by Sitestaff (which I was a part of bringing about -- sorry!). Now, if you want him for less years than he demands, you must up the per-season money.

Once I am done with my major league free agents, I turn my attention to the minors. I am looking here for anyone with 5 or more Pro Years (who will be at 6 after rollover). Any of these guys not on the 40 man roster will become 6 year minor league free agents. Therefore, anyone that is a legitimate prospect that could become a free agent gets added to the 40. I normally end up filling out my 40 with borderline prospects until it is full. No sense in risking losing these guys if I have the chance to protect them now. If I dont have enough spots on my 40 for all the guys I want to protect, I start looking for spots to free up, including looking at veteran major leaguers that are under bad contracts that I may have called up to the bigs when rosters expanded. Designate those guys for assignment now instead of after the rollover, and you free a 40 man spot immediately. Also, if you are short on spots, look for any minor leaguers that may be on the 40 but are there "early" -- they are not going to be free agents. They can be removed to give you a spot for the guy you want to protect.

When it comes to putting guys on the 40, I hear a lot about "oh no, you are going to start running his option clock." I have never and probably will never worry about an option clock running. Once the option clock starts running, all it means is that the guy can have a maximum of 3 seasons (or portions of season) on the 40 man roster but not playing on the big league squad. Most prospects will not see the 40 until they have at least 4 years of pro service. Add to that 3 more "option" years and that gives you 7 seasons to get the guy into the big leagues. Anyone that doesn't make the bigs in 7 pro seasons probably never will. And even if you run out of option years, they only need to clear waivers to get sent back to the minors -- and odds are that a guy with 7 pro season who is not good enough for the bigs will either clear waivers or be no big loss if he is claimed.

Once I have my 40 man roster set and all free agents signed, it is simply a matter of sitting back and waiting for the playoffs to end and rollover to come along.

In Cincinnati, my best pitcher, Clarence Smith, is a free agent after the season. While he was decent, he wasn't great and I therefore choose not to resign him. His overall rating is 72, which may net me a Type A or B pick. If it doesn't, I will consider trying to make him an offer on Re-sign free agents day, though at 72 overall he may refuse to talk. He is not so good that I would be upset if I lost him with no compensation, and I don't really want to enter any big contracts so I let him go. All other free agents to be are let go as well.

In the minors, I have 6 or 7 guys that needed to be added to the 40, including a couple of pretty nice looking pitching prospects. Luckily, I have plenty of room and even protect a couple of borderline prospects. With that complete, my season is done and now I just sit back, keep an eye on the Waiver Wire, and wait for the season to end and next season to begin.

As the world is still only in the divisional playoffs round, it may be a while until my next post, so until then, Dr. Johnny Fever will be spinning records with the latest rock and roll hits. Take it away Johnny!
7/3/2007 9:25 PM
Since retirements are getting to be somewhat of a problem, do you do anything to try to minimize them?
7/3/2007 11:02 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
7/4/2007 4:15 PM
I've been reading this thread,and I wanted to thank you for it. Just starting my second season of HBD and it has been helpful. It's nice to read what someone else is going through and doing to improve their franchise. I'm looking forward to seeing how season two goes.
7/9/2007 1:54 AM
Toronto has just won the World Series. 3 days until rollover.
7/12/2007 7:33 AM
If you would like to join the league and watch cshwerwood at work first hand or actually make trades with him, now is the time to join the Addicted Users world. Check the thread in the HBD classifieds for sign up information.
7/12/2007 4:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...27 Next ▸
WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.