LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

nice list....i have to say that aimee mann quickly became one of my all time favorites and she is still amazing......beautiful stunning melodies and fantastic lyrics...
11/13/2017 1:56 PM
Agree with Dino. Had I remembered that "Other Voices, Other Rooms" was '93 that would have been on my list. It's in my top 2 or 3 for Nancy Griffith LP's.
I had the Rosanne Cash on my list but ended up deleting it because I haven't listened to it in years.
I SHOULD have had the Melissa E. disc on my list. That IS my favorite of hers and I listen to it every once in a while. It Rocks!
The Hiatt disc I left off because I like so many other Hiatt releases better but it does Rock and I like it. Probably need to listen to it again.

Now, I obviously need to go listen to "Whatever". I've not heard that Aimee. I liked the Til Tuesday LP, and I have other solo releases but I've not heard that one. Guess I better find it! I had mis-remembered the production on the Sand Rubies. I had thought it was Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers but he only produced one track I think. There were multiple producers but it's an L.A. project. The Sand Rubies was a minor success nationally. They toured with the Gin Blossoms, and other big bands. Had a video (kinda cheesy, but the song is cool), and most surprisingly some of the CD was used as behind the video montage/footage music for extreme sports events on ESPN and ESPN 2. I was shocked when I was flipping thru channels in some motel room and paused to look at some extreme skiing footage or something and there it was........ Sand Rubies rocking out. Amazed me. Of course, no one knew who it was......... doubt IF they even ran the credits at the end............ but they SHOULD have gotten some $$, so.........
11/13/2017 3:32 PM
Interesting story about Trump Jr.'s communications with Wikileaks.

This stuff is pretty crazy. For example on election day Jr. received this message:

“Hi Don if your father ‘loses’ we think it is much more interesting if he DOES NOT conceed [sic] and spends time CHALLENGING the media and other types of rigging that occurred—as he has implied that he might do.”

Hmmm...

11/13/2017 5:24 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 11/13/2017 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Agree with Dino. Had I remembered that "Other Voices, Other Rooms" was '93 that would have been on my list. It's in my top 2 or 3 for Nancy Griffith LP's.
I had the Rosanne Cash on my list but ended up deleting it because I haven't listened to it in years.
I SHOULD have had the Melissa E. disc on my list. That IS my favorite of hers and I listen to it every once in a while. It Rocks!
The Hiatt disc I left off because I like so many other Hiatt releases better but it does Rock and I like it. Probably need to listen to it again.

Now, I obviously need to go listen to "Whatever". I've not heard that Aimee. I liked the Til Tuesday LP, and I have other solo releases but I've not heard that one. Guess I better find it! I had mis-remembered the production on the Sand Rubies. I had thought it was Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers but he only produced one track I think. There were multiple producers but it's an L.A. project. The Sand Rubies was a minor success nationally. They toured with the Gin Blossoms, and other big bands. Had a video (kinda cheesy, but the song is cool), and most surprisingly some of the CD was used as behind the video montage/footage music for extreme sports events on ESPN and ESPN 2. I was shocked when I was flipping thru channels in some motel room and paused to look at some extreme skiing footage or something and there it was........ Sand Rubies rocking out. Amazed me. Of course, no one knew who it was......... doubt IF they even ran the credits at the end............ but they SHOULD have gotten some $$, so.........
If you ask me, Aimee Mann's solo stuff is far superior to anything she did with Til Tuesday. Whatever and I'm With Stupid are probably my two favorites of her solo stuff (although Bachelor #2 is right up there too)
11/13/2017 6:34 PM
I have a (fairly) recent one of hers (I think) called "Lost In Space".......... I've been having trouble getting into it really. Any of you guys have/know that one?
11/13/2017 6:57 PM
that is one of the few albums i dont know well although i have it.....it is considered to be a lesser effort....not fully representative.
11/13/2017 7:18 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 11/13/2017 5:24:00 PM (view original):
Interesting story about Trump Jr.'s communications with Wikileaks.

This stuff is pretty crazy. For example on election day Jr. received this message:

“Hi Don if your father ‘loses’ we think it is much more interesting if he DOES NOT conceed [sic] and spends time CHALLENGING the media and other types of rigging that occurred—as he has implied that he might do.”

Hmmm...

shows jr. was complicit with publishing hacked illegal documents and was encouraging of it....and father trump was in the know.
11/13/2017 7:29 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 11/13/2017 6:57:00 PM (view original):
I have a (fairly) recent one of hers (I think) called "Lost In Space".......... I've been having trouble getting into it really. Any of you guys have/know that one?
I've got it. Not one of her better efforts if you ask me.
11/13/2017 7:33 PM
MY 1994 LIST - RANKED

i only have 6 for my list of 10......there are certainly other albums that i find interesting
but i limit the ones i deem excellent to only 6.

1. TOM PETTY - WILDFLOWERS
2. THE ROLLING STONES - VOODOO LOUNGE
3. REM - MONSTER
4. ELVIS COSTELLO - BRUTAL YOUTH
5. OASIS - DEFINITELY MAYBE
6. MORRISEY -VAUXHILL & I
11/14/2017 9:26 AM
4 more for '94 (links on name to a song from the album):

PORTISHEAD "Dummy" (my favorite from this year)
JOHNNY CASH "American Recordings" (Johnny gets his groove back)
STINA NORDENSTAM "And She Closed Her Eyes" (the word "ethereal" was made to describe her voice)
EL VEZ "How Great Thou Art" (the Mexican Elvis -- not an impersonator, an interpreter)

With the El Vez song link you get a 3-for-1 deal: Elvis' "In the Ghetto," Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and Beatles' "I've Got a Feeling."
11/14/2017 10:09 AM
1994 was kind of a transition year in music in many respects. Boundaries began to be difficult to recognize. Rap began to dominate.

1. Tom Petty --- "Wildflowers" (one of the best singer/songwriter solo releases of the last 2 decades!)
2. Todd Snider --- "Songs From The Daily Planet" (This one started it all for Todd, and it's brilliant)
3. Neil Young & Crazy Horse --- "Sleeps With Angels" (An actual tight performance and an excellent set of quality rock songs----really one of Neil's finest Rock LP's)
4. Joni Mitchell --- "Turbulent Indigo" (Superb, includes "Sex Kills", which was a minor hit that year)
5. Kieran Kane --- "Dead Reckoning" (Americana, includes "Dirty Little Town" with Emmylou and Lucinda Williams)
6. Robert Earl Keen ---- "Gringo Honeymoon" (Robert Earl's 1st great release)
7. Bill Lloyd ---- "Set To Pop" (Half of the former Foster and Lloyd country group goes solo, and hits a HR)
8. Eagles ----- "Hell Freezes Over" (kind of reluctantly, but it was a big deal, had 4 new songs, sold like crazy, and was well played and sung)
9. Blackhawk ---- "Blackhawk" (3 ace country songwriters form a country-rock group and release LP, full of good countryish songs)
10. Toad The Wet Sprocket --- "Dulcinea" (The follow up to "Fear", not as hard rocking, but some magnificent songs are in this package)

Honorable mentions to:

Soundgarden --- "Superunknown" (They hit it big with this one) and
Sam Phillips ---- "Martinis and Bikinis (Close to a real good LP, just fell a bit short)
and Lyle Lovett ---- "I Love Everybody" (The last really solid LP in this time period for Lyle)
11/14/2017 1:06 PM (edited)
sam phillips i missed that is going to be added for sure...
11/14/2017 12:27 PM
after careful reflection i have revised my list.

MY 1994 LIST REVISED AND RANKED

1. TOM PETTY - WILDFLOWERS
2. ROLLING STONES - VOODOO LOUNGE
3. REM - MONSTER
4. SAM PHILLIPS - BIKINIS AND MARTINIS
5. ELVIS COSTELLO - BRUTAL YOUTH
6. OASIS - DEFINITELY MAYBE
7. NEIL YOUNG /CRAZY HORSES - SLEEP WITH ANGELS
8. PORTISHEAD - DUMMY
9. MORRISEY - VAUXHILL & I

i meant to have sam phillips on the list..i always loved the album and i forgot to listen to the neil young album.
portishead i always knew about but never really listened to portishead......a little like dear prudence meets the outer limits...can be eerie and otherworldly.........really good..
the rem has too much blase but i like the charged up songs a lot.
11/14/2017 12:45 PM (edited)
My 1994 list. It was an unusual year. My top 10 list are all albums (or are they CDs by now?) that I still listen to a lot. The Todd Snider album is one of my favorites of all time. In no particular order:
Songs From the Daily Planet - Todd Snider
Dulcinea - Toad the Wet Sprocket
Four - Blues Traveler
Mirror Blue - Richard Thompson
The Brooklyn Side - Bottle Rockets
This Perfect World - Freedy Johnston
Living Under June - Jann Arden
Longing in Their Hearts - Bonnie Raitt
Swamp Ophelia - Indigo Girls
Last of the Independents - The Pretenders

On the bubble:
Grace - Jeff Buckley
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Monster - REM
Under the Table and Dreaming - Dave Matthews Band (after this album every DM release sounds the same)
Wildflowers - Tom Petty
Cracked Rear View - Hootie & the Blowfish (almost embarrassed to list this one , but Darius Rucker has a great voice)
Welcome to the Cruel World - Ben Harper
Nanci Griffith - Flyer
Ain't Life Grand - Widespread Panic
Sister Hazel - Sister Hazel

11/14/2017 12:56 PM
You always miss some it seems. I missed "Flyer" from Nancy Griffith, and "Brooklyn Side", though there are Bottle Rockets discs I listen to more, but not before 1994, lol.
I almost did put that Indigo Girls LP on my list, and The Pretenders CD should have at least been an honorable mention.
11/14/2017 1:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...95|96|97|98|99...530 Next ▸
LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.