Thoughts on leaving a progressive... Topic

I've only been a member of about 7 progressive leagues on the site. And while I entered each of them with great intentions, and built teams that (generally) I became very attached to. Yet, most of those leagues I have over the years.

Ultimately, it's your (or my) money. And if you're not having fun in a league, it can be time to leave.

Why? Sometimes the type of league just isn't to my taste. I found that I really don't like single season progressives where any IP can be at a premium, nor do I like joint adjoining season progessives (ie: this year is '33-'34, you can choose either year of your player) which are similar to me.

Sometimes the league just tires out and dies. I've had that happen to a couple of progressives, we just couldn't find enough replacement owners, and they've folded.

One team I had seemed perfect, I joined it in progress, built up the the team for 3-4 seasons, got it ready to compete... then just found that I didn't care at all about that team. I think because it was a split year, and one of the years was in the 1990's, and I could see that we'd run out of players soon... It just wasn't fun to me, through no fault of the other owners or commish.

But sometimes, you have personality conflicts with another owner. And you have to choose whether you wnat to spend all your time in the league fighting, or if you want to have fun. I've had a few issues with 3-4 progressive league owners, and I scan the sign up list for their names (or sitemail the commish for a owner list) before I sign up for a progressive.

Just ruminating here... I feel kind of guilty about each league I've , even though it is my money I'm paying to play. I'm feeling a little sad about a decision I made today to leave a progressive that I've been in for a long time, just because the commish's style is incompatible with mine. Others probably don't have the same problem with him, and I'm sure he's fed up with me second guessing his decisions, so my choice to leave is probably for the best.

How about anyone else? I'm fairly satisfied with all my decisions to leave the various leagues, just wondering why others leave progressives?
10/5/2009 4:20 PM
Salient topic these days. I do feel your pain.

At one point I was in 8 progressives a couple of years ago. Two were dual seasons, 1 was a regressive, 2 folded and 1 did not allow players OOP.
*I the duals because I did not enjoy them (I was in one for 4 seasons, the other for 3). IMO there was too much talent and it made drafting in later rounds heinous for me. One league I was in the original draft class, the other I was a replacement owner.
*The regressive was a cool idea, but after 4 seasons, I guess the novelty wore off. I do prefer single season progressives, but the whole backwards thing got to me.
*The progressive that did not allow playing players OOP seemed counter intuitive to my style of managing.

I also felt guilty about leaving each one, but I know that the team I was not hopeless/hapless. I either a decent squad or improved on the shite I inherited.

Now I am in 2, Centenary(10th season-replacement owner) and the JimmyCarterPP(8th season-original owner). And am trying to enter a Progressive that is considering expansion for their 1969 season, from 16 to 20 teams.
10/5/2009 4:37 PM
As for the attachment, I really clicked w/ the 2 that I am still in. I started a thread a few months ago about becoming attached to your progressive team and players. Yeah, I am that guy.
Players like Oscar Gamble, Sparky Lyle and Juan Berenguer have become my "players". I have Greg Gross, yeah I bleed Philly red, on both teams(and when 1975 comes around in my new progressive, I might try and get him again..) I look to draft players I idolized or enjoyed watching as much as the needs of my team. But I also become attached to those I have to draft. Dan Petry and Jason Thompson come to mind....

If and when you depart from a progressive, it is your decision. As long as the team you is not abandoned or 0% future and you give the commish a decent amount of time, people will understand. I have not joined quite a few leagues because of $ these days. So who knows...

10/5/2009 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cpdpoet on 10/05/2009[PAs long as the team you is not abandoned or 0% future and you give the commish a decent amount of time, people will understand. I have not joined quite a few leagues because of $ these days. So who knows... 

That's the thing for me. I'm in 3 progressives (1 I'm just joining in progress). It always bugs me when people just disappear, or tell the commish as we're trying to start the league that they're going to drop out. It makes everyone wait, or makes someone take on an extra team to keep it going. Everyone's time will come to leave a league, I just wish people would give the commish time to fill the spot.
10/5/2009 5:07 PM
I've never a progressive because of another owner or commissioner. I have a couple, usually because I didn't connect with my team. That's a hard one to explain, because it usually wasn't the era or the players on the team, or even success or lack-of-success.

I have developed preferences and distastes. They're general rules, rather than iron-clad ones. For instance, I don't like single season progs as much as dual seasons ones - the talent pool is too shallow, too much energy wasted chasing mediocre talent. Doesn't mean there aren't some single season progressives I don't enjoy.

Probably my favorite leagues are dual-season ones with a fairly tight cap (ie, $100m). That environment and cap means it's easier for all teams to be competitive - no team can runaway with a $140m juggernaut. Most of my leagues are cap-less, but I find the 2-season $100m ones the most challenging.

The longer I'm around the less I like playing in leagues with a lot of rules - minimum IPs, no out of position playing allowed, etc. I realize most of these rules are meant to deal with perceived tanking, but - well, hell - if you have to tank (never had and I'm against it) you can do it better and more effectively behind the curtains. Set Rickey Henderson's steal attempt setting at 0 and Sandy Koufax's Call BP to 5. Whatever jimmying you can do in the managers office to capitalize on your teams strengths you can use to undercut those strengths.

10/5/2009 9:44 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
10/5/2009 11:00 PM
As a commissioner nothing causes me more grief than missed early round picks. Is the guy just away from a computer for a while? Did he ditch the league? If we're on the clock and he's a couple three picks behind I'm already thinking about what I'll do in case I have to find a replacement owner.

Another thing I believe every owner should concern themself with, after the health of their team, is the health of the league as a whole. Missing out on top picks is a bad thing in that regard, and I'll make picks in the middle and the end of round one, again at the end of round two, for any MIA owner. At least that way the team isn't going to suffer more than it has to in case that new owner has to be found.
10/5/2009 11:17 PM
I have two progressive leagues...one because it was basically an all-star league (there were no set years, draft from any) and another that had only 12 teams. Three of my WIS friends had already ...so it just wasn't fun for me anymore.

I enjoy being in leagues with solid owners that I respect. This will keep me in a prog longer. Also, the commish must be solid and fair. Sheller is among the best out there...if not the best.

My buddy Bootone is very fair and a solid commish. Billyho, big_dowg, and ace1430 have also been very solid in my experiences with them.

I agree with Len and others that have stated that if the league isn't fun anymore, just give sufficient notice to the commish so he can get a replacement.

10/6/2009 12:23 AM
I haven't any progressives yet... but I have definitely started to think about it. The year-to-year scramble for IPs in single-season progressives can be really grating.
10/6/2009 7:22 AM
...i'm only in 1 single season out of 8 progressives and it's tougher to draft for because of the IP problem...but i don't mind that so much as the fact that we're in the 1998 draft now and it's easy to see the point where the draft is going to stop being fun all together...
10/6/2009 8:40 AM
I have not a progressive. I believe that I'm in it for the long haul, so I try to stick it out. Fortunately any league that I have been in that I did not enjoy folded on it's own. Maybe that's why I didn't like them. But it also saddens me when a league fails that I have enjoyed. (2 recently went under )

I play in several different types of progressives and each has it's own appeal. Pros and cons. I think the differences is what interests me.

I understand that each of us have different lives, different job schedules, live in different time zones. I try to understand why some people are so slow in posting keepers, making picks and joining the league. But many times frustration is a factor. Honestly people how many times are you completely away from a computer for a week at a time? Yes, vacations and sometimes work.

I think that what bugs me the most is when league members just disappear. No word. Just gone. If you don't like a league, can't afford it or have lost interest OK. Please send a sitemail or answer the commissioners sitemail back. Your reason is not my concern, just a simple common courtesy.

One last thing, one type of progressive that I haven't played in is a league that advances 2 seasons at a time. With your choice of which season to use for your players. Haven't seen one recently. I would be interested.
10/6/2009 10:02 AM
I a couple..one because I was only playing for free to fill a gap and one because I just stopped enjoying it. I didn't feel guilty and won't when I finish out the progs I'm currently playing in. It's not fair to the other owners if my heart isn't in it.
10/6/2009 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By mudbone1969 on 10/06/2009I a couple..one because I was only playing for free to fill a gap and one because I just stopped enjoying it. I didn't feel guilty and won't when I finish out the progs I'm currently playing in. It's not fair to the other owners if my heart isn't in it.
excellent point.
10/6/2009 5:26 PM
I hate to admit that I my 1st progressive in the middle of the draft. Too much bickering and rude behavior... the comissioner took no action... so I told him that wasn't the kind of league I wanted to be a part of. Kind of funny that I don't remember the names of anyone involved, so I guess they didn't stick around long.

I have to say that progressives gave me my 2nd wind at WIS... I am currently in 9 progressives... Each comissioner has their own style and rules which makes for a unique experience... I do enjoy the drafting, trading and building a team and rivalries...

Hats off to sheller who in my opinion puts more time into running his progressives than anyone... it shows in the quality of league he runs. I also want to thank him for taking the time to show me the progressive ropes. I will also give a high five to Bullmoose, ace1430, maddog162, big_dowg, crazyamos, billyho1515, bringinsxybc and hockeyhead for running nice progressives leagues. My apologies if I missed anyone...

The biggest problem with leagues these days is the disappearing act... no notice... just gone. I had someone just do that in my progressive... he had been a part of the league for 9 seasons... won the league and "poof" was gone. The fact that he hasn't opened any sitemails in over a month has me concerned... hope everthing is ok.

I would have no problem letting an owner return if he had with a notice... we all have situations that may require us to leave the site... just do it with class.

It takes all kinds to join a progressive league... plenty of opportunities for disagreements... I would never fault anyone for wanting to quit a league... just have a little courtesy.
10/6/2009 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By Bootone on 10/06/2009

I hate to admit that I my 1st progressive in the middle of the draft. Too much bickering and rude behavior... the comissioner took no action... so I told him that wasn't the kind of league I wanted to be a part of. Kind of funny that I don't remember the names of anyone involved

that was probably ceez!
10/6/2009 10:15 PM
12 Next ▸
Thoughts on leaving a progressive... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.