Delusional President? Topic

"And here's the thing: I believe that most wealthy Americans would agree with me. They want to give back to their country, a country that's done so much for them. It's just Washington hasn't asked them to."

Really?  Let's test this theory.   Rather than tax them, just let them donate to the country that's done so much for them.   Let me know how that goes. 

I think it's time that President Obama seeks help.  I think he's got some disease that's deteriorating his thought process.

4/14/2011 8:24 AM
Yawn
4/14/2011 8:32 AM
Wealthy Americans do give back to their country.  Many choose to do so without involving the government...
4/14/2011 8:34 AM
Posted by silentpadna on 4/14/2011 8:34:00 AM (view original):
Wealthy Americans do give back to their country.  Many choose to do so without involving the government...
By doing what?
4/14/2011 8:47 AM
By giving to charity, by growing their businesses to provide more jobs (which increased taxes would inhibit), you can find many more examples.  Even the subject of the Planned Parenthood thread, the Gates Foundation is one of their biggest donors.  They don't need the government to do it for them.
4/14/2011 8:50 AM
Posted by antonsirius on 4/14/2011 8:32:00 AM (view original):
Yawn
Good counter-point.   Your debate skills are unrivaled.
4/14/2011 8:58 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
GE is paying no taxes because they have recession-induced losses from previous years. Maybe they should get refunds in years when they have no profits. That would be more fair, wouldn't it?
4/14/2011 10:17 AM
The objective of a business is to make money.    The objective of most people is to provide for themselves/family. 

My point is asking people to "give back" because they want to is ludicrous.   A voluntary tax on the rich(or anyone) would bankrupt the government in days.   Let's not pretend that people will line up to pay more taxes because they're asked. 

In short, Obama is talking out of his *** in hopes of re-election.    No one making 19k a year wants to hear Bill Gates complain about taxes.  So throw those "fortunate" few(and calling them fortunate really irks me) under the bus to get the unwashed masses behind you.
4/14/2011 10:31 AM

High taxes = free health care, clean streets and the envy of the Western world. Try it!

You may have to find a country to sponge off of in terms of military might, however...

4/14/2011 10:37 AM
123456 Next ▸
Delusional President? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.