WIS INTERVIEW - THE ORIGINAL PROGRESSIVE Topic

for fans of this type of action , this is a must read.....this is where it all started
12/5/2011 5:53 PM
Hey Robin, sford with the 2 pitcher rotation.
12/5/2011 10:53 PM
I thought it was  Gonoles
12/6/2011 4:58 AM
sford and the Cleveland Classics. Remember it like it was yesterday.
12/6/2011 9:06 AM
Nice spot fellas.
12/14/2011 9:35 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I am very glad to see that my creation has continued to thrive and my only regret was not being able to stick around longer after I started it. Marital difficulties led to my leaving at the time,.... a marriage that has since ended - I should have stuck with the Centennial League, it would have been a longer relationship!

Thanks to ceez for doing such a bang-up job over the long haul!


12/17/2011 10:41 PM
didn't call it a progressive, didn't use the same idea......


I have to rule in favor of the CL
12/18/2011 11:40 AM
It's like I've been living a lie all this time...
12/18/2011 11:49 AM
It seemed like a natural enough idea at the time. I was surprised to find that no one had done it before. Only problem was that you couldn't start before 1969 since the only option back then was a 24 team league.


12/18/2011 1:24 PM
Centenary League, in it since '73.
1992 now.
cardinaldave is a top  commish.
12/20/2011 7:32 PM (edited)
Posted by schwarze on 12/16/2011 5:09:00 PM (view original):
I hate to break it to you, but the first progressive league was started in 2002.   There is a way to see all the theme leagues any owner has ever created.  Create a new theme league, choose Theme Usage = ALL, Date Range = All, User ID = whomever you want.  Click Search Themes.

This is easily verifiable.  In 2002, I started a "decade" progressive league (although the term progressive wasn't used).  The concept was to draft players from a speficic decade.  We started with the 1910's.  The first progressive league (initially called "Continuous Draft League", but quickly changed to "Decade Draft League") was created on 6/15/2002.  This decade progressive ran from the 1910's through the 1990's, with the last league created on 8/23/2004.

I will concede that a season-by-season progressive league is different than my original idea. 

It is kind of cool to go back in time and see what some of the theme leagues looked like back then.  Damn, I've created a lot of leagues.
I think that your league is an ancestor of the progressive concept but not the first progressive.
12/19/2011 6:45 PM
12/19/2011 8:30 PM
Posted by cpdpoet on 12/18/2011 8:27:00 PM (view original):
Centennial League, in it since '73.
1992 now.
cardinaldave is a top  commish.
Actually, cpd, I am commishing the Centenary League, not the Centennial. However, seaphil created them both. When his personal issues took him away I assumed control. I am hoping he will rejoin us for 1993 if not sooner.

And thanks for the props!
12/19/2011 8:40 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
WIS INTERVIEW - THE ORIGINAL PROGRESSIVE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.