NEW! HotDog Prog w/crazy 8 keepers/waitlist Topic

Hot Dog Progressive/Crazy 8

I have been trying to come up with a progressive league that differs from most. I think this one fits.

Hot Dog Rules

Each season you may designate one position player and one pitcher as your “Hot Dog” players.
You can use any season of your Hot Dog Players from the past. Future seasons can’t be used as Hot Dog seasons.

EXAMPLE:We are playing the 1963 season. You have Mickey Mantle on your team. He only had 215 PA that season. You decide to designate him as your Hot Dog position player. You are allowed to use any season from before 1963.His seasons from 1964 to 1968 would not be acceptable to use.

Players can be designated as Hot Dog players as many times as you like but previous seasons can only be used once. So in the example above if you used Mantles 1956 season and wanted to designate him a Hot Dog player again in 1964 you would have to use a season other then 1956.

We will keep track of the players designated as Hot Dog players in our private forum to make sure seasons are not repeated.

You can also designate a player who played in a season but didn’t qualify with 50 AB or 25 IP to be included in that seasons database. The player must have played in at least one game that season.

Crazy 8 Keeper Rules

Pretty simple. Each season you can only keep 8 players. I believe this will make the league more competitive and we shouldn’t have situations that most of us who play progressives of being in rebuild mode for several seasons.

Getting Started

16 team (4 divisions of 4 teams) league starting with the 1962 season. After 16 owners are signed up I will have another owner not in the league generate a random.org order of 1 through 16. We will get the franchise selection draft order from this.
We will hold a draft with owners selecting from the 20 available teams from 1962. You then get to keep 8 players from your selection
The rest of the players will be put in the draft pool for everyone to draft. The draft order will be determined by the total salary of your 8 players with draft running lowest to highest 8 player salary.
The total salary of your 8 keepers will determine the draft order each season. You will not post your keepers, but instead site mail them to me. I will not open them until I send my 8 keepers to another owner in the league. I will then post them along with total salary and draft order.
We will draft a total of 29 players each season ( 8 keepers and 21 in draft) Your 2 lowest salaried position players and 2 lowest salaried pitchers will be your real life AAA players.

The Rest

16 teams. We must have 8 teams from AL and 8 from NL.
Owners are allowed to switch cities/ball parks, but in order to do so you must forfeit your 4th round pick. You will be given an additional pick at the end of the draft.
No salary cap, WW or DH. ( will hold a vote when DH time gets near and decide if we go no DH, DH AL only or universal DH )
Trades are allowed including trading of draft picks one season ahead.
Teams are allowed 1 IR player per season. Please list that player when you site mail me your 8 keepers.
We will start the draft off the clock for the first 2 rounds with time slots beginning in round 3.


Any questions or comments post here or site mail me.
1/1/2021 7:05 PM (edited)
Interested owners:

1. szczubelek
2. eman7400
3. happyhours
4. Disco Dogs
5. fatguyrd
6. auxesis
7. georgedeer
8. simszy
9. N4ser
10. cpmitchno1
11. coyote522
12. evil_twin
13. firesalt
14. midknight
15. doctorwoo
16. daddyzander

waitlist
2/2/2021 7:23 PM (edited)
I'll join Steve
1/1/2021 12:33 PM
If I have a player from 1962.......... and then make him my hotdog player for 1963..........can I use his 1962 season as his hotdog year ?

The reason I asked is that his 1962 season was not previously used as a hotdog year for him.
1/1/2021 12:34 PM
Posted by Landry19 on 1/1/2021 12:34:00 PM (view original):
If I have a player from 1962.......... and then make him my hotdog player for 1963..........can I use his 1962 season as his hotdog year ?

The reason I asked is that his 1962 season was not previously used as a hotdog year for him.
Yes that would be allowed.
1/1/2021 12:43 PM
Posted by eman7400 on 1/1/2021 12:33:00 PM (view original):
I'll join Steve
Thanks for starting this off!
1/1/2021 12:43 PM
Question
So if i would choice 1962 Houston.........First question...I can identify that first season a Hot Dog player and play 1 players season before 1962?........Second question......So i keep 8 players going into 1963, does that mean i can get Staub & Wynn as part of the 8 because that is their rookie season and i have Houston as my franchise?
1/1/2021 1:39 PM
Posted by happyhours on 1/1/2021 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Question
So if i would choice 1962 Houston.........First question...I can identify that first season a Hot Dog player and play 1 players season before 1962?........Second question......So i keep 8 players going into 1963, does that mean i can get Staub & Wynn as part of the 8 because that is their rookie season and i have Houston as my franchise?
Your hot dog players in 1962 have to come from a season before 1962.

Staub and Wynn would not be yours. Rookies are put into the draft pool and are not exclusive to a franchise
1/1/2021 2:10 PM
I have been looking at this a little harder.........You could draft a guy like Minnie Minoso who is bad in both 62 & 63, and keep him and use his 1954 season 1 year and his 1956 season the next year...If you would identify him as your Hot Dog Player............Now, is it during keepers that you have to identify your Hot Dog Player or after the completed draft in case you find a bad player in the draft to use as that Hot Dog?...................If everything reads correct to you put me down as a player........You could really have a Dog, and turn him into a Hot Dog, yuk, yuk, yuk!
1/2/2021 10:49 AM
Posted by happyhours on 1/2/2021 10:49:00 AM (view original):
I have been looking at this a little harder.........You could draft a guy like Minnie Minoso who is bad in both 62 & 63, and keep him and use his 1954 season 1 year and his 1956 season the next year...If you would identify him as your Hot Dog Player............Now, is it during keepers that you have to identify your Hot Dog Player or after the completed draft in case you find a bad player in the draft to use as that Hot Dog?...................If everything reads correct to you put me down as a player........You could really have a Dog, and turn him into a Hot Dog, yuk, yuk, yuk!
You do not have to make your Hot Dog players until after the draft.
Most teams will likely have tough choices to make.
I’ll put you down.

Thanks for joining!
1/2/2021 5:37 PM
Disco Dogs has joined via site mail
1/2/2021 5:38 PM
Sign me up, stop eating hot dogs about 25 tears ago, but I like a good burger.
1/3/2021 12:13 PM
Thanks for joining Bob!
1/4/2021 7:49 AM
This is an interesting concept. Count me in.
1/5/2021 9:21 PM
I'm in Steve
1/6/2021 4:45 PM
1234 Next ▸
NEW! HotDog Prog w/crazy 8 keepers/waitlist Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.