why does everyone think defense is broken Topic

http://www.whatifsports.com/nba-l/stats.asp?teamid=289430

it wasnt an open league and it was a 47 mil league with only players under 6 mil...not to mention a blacklist on some key guys...but its still really satisfying to see defense dominate a league...some real nice offensive teams in the league too...led the league in blocks and held my opponents to the lowest ppg,rpg,apg,fg%,3pt% in the league

cant wait to see what the fixes on d look like....hopefully it helps some...and they better give my boy jrue holiday at least an 80
4/30/2010 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by detlef on 4/30/2010Well, it's possible there's some kind of minimum function being applied, right? Did you try crosschecking it vs things like presence on the all-defense team?

Like, their defense is some function of blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds but they take the minimum of that number or 90 if they made first team all-defense? Or minimum of 50 for a guy if he ever made all-defense in his career? Or minimum of 50 if he ever had any season of 80+ via the formula? That could account for a disproportionate number of round numbers. If you incorporate things like all-defense teams, rank in the league in blocks/steals/defensive rebounds/etc (like if you lead the league in blocks but your formula only gives you a 76, it automatically gives you a 90?). Also, sure, it's possible they manually adjusted some guys who just didnt make sense.

Affecting a player's season defensive rating with all-defensive teams he made in other years is absurd, and I really hope that's not the case. If a guy is a good defender one year and a bad defender the next, the formula should reflect that.

Some of what you suggest may be true (especially the 90 def thing for all defensive team). But bottom line, I would love for the def rating system to be more transparent, and I would love to have more evidence that def ratings are providing a return on their investment in the SIM.
4/30/2010 10:09 PM
dh555, did you watch the Sixers play this season? Nobody on that team should be getting anything anywhere near an 80.
5/1/2010 11:30 AM
im from philly and watched waaay more games then i should have....holiday being the main reason....the kid can flat out defend...dont sleep on him
5/1/2010 2:09 PM
IMO, you're better off ignoring the def rating with the way the sim works currently. You're better off focusing on other things like eFG%, 3PM, Rebounding, low TO, blocks and steals.
5/2/2010 6:42 PM
My issue is and some guys who have been around long enough can back me on this, a few versions ago defense mattered! IF you drafted a team full of guys in the 90s your team would usually do a pretty good job of shutting down opponents on a consistent basis. IF you didn't draft D you would get li tup. Now with the new version, draft high eff offensive players, run up tempo and win 50+ games with ease. IT didn't always work that way believe me it didn't!
5/7/2010 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by earlmantis on 5/07/2010My issue is and some guys who have been around long enough can back me on this, a few versions ago defense mattered! IF you drafted a team full of guys in the 90s your team would usually do a pretty good job of shutting down opponents on a consistent basis. IF you didn't draft D you would get li tup. Now with the new version, draft high eff offensive players, run up tempo and win 50+ games with ease. IT didn't always work that way believe me it didn't!

I agree with you. My first championship was a while ago with a total defense team. After the changes were made, I put together a few defensive teams that did poorly, and haven't had any luck with a total defensive team since. One team in my last league was a total defensive team, and started out great, but barely made the playoffs, and were beat out first round.
My latest experiment is with players who have no higher defense than 70, except 2 scubs who play only 500 minutes total. I guess I'll see how much defense really matters.
5/12/2010 5:06 PM
◂ Prev 12
why does everyone think defense is broken Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.