2000 HISHBD League. Just one spot left!!! Topic

Thanks Dodger Don!
3/9/2023 10:42 AM
Some of you have asked for clarifications about rosters. Ill post here and at the start of the thread.
We are starting with the franchise roster in opening day of 2000. We will have an inaugural draft of three rounds. (Subsequent drafts will be as many rounds as needed for each team).
You can use full season stats for your players or partial season stats for the period the player was on your team.
(Example: If you have the Phillies, you can have Schillings whole season or the games he played for Philly but not his Arizona only stats. )
As for the initial roster, its 25 to 28 players from your team and three players from the draft. Total roster count will be 29 players each season
Subsequent seasons will be rosters of 25 players and 4 AAA.
There is no requisite number of keepers after the 2000 season.
Hope this all makes sense.
As always, open to suggestions
3/9/2023 10:50 AM
I’ll take Detroit Tigers
3/12/2023 9:58 AM
Welcome scczubelek
3/12/2023 12:52 PM
Just one slot left. I'll put together a league number later today and send out the invite as we await our final team,
3/13/2023 9:21 AM
HOUSTON -- oops forgot i already signed up LOL
3/13/2023 10:12 AM
Posted by PugMania on 3/4/2023 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tigerpaw23 on 2/27/2023 11:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chrisekeedei on 2/26/2023 8:09:00 AM (view original):
I like rebuilding a bad team, so I'd like to take a team that would have a high initial draft pick, Will the initial draft be in reverse order of real-life 2000 standings?

If the answer is yes, I'll take the Phillies.
I like that idea. so... Yes! and welcome!
If we are starting in the year 2000 wouldn't the standings of year 1 dictate the draft order?

I want to roll with Houston
I'm not talking about the draft after year 1; I'm talking about the three-round draft of players from unselected teams that we do before year 1 starts. In that I'm assuming the Phillies and Cubs would have the first two overall picks since they were the worst in the real-life majors at 65-97.
3/14/2023 2:36 PM
Oh! Sorry for misunderstanding your question. No to be fair to everyone, we will randomize the inaugural draft and snake it for the other two rounds.
For those who might not know what a snake draft is: we reverse the order of the draft in round two and then again in three.
For hypothetical example only (and brevity) if we had only five teams in our league, the draft would look like this.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
5.
4.
3.
2.
1.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Hope that makes sense.
BTW, if people like the idea, I am not opposed to doing that every year. Would eliminate tanking, etc, entirely.
3/14/2023 2:48 PM
Word to the wise: It might prevent a lot of hassle to post all eligible players for each team before owners post their 2000 keepers. That's how another commissioner does it in this similar league I'm in. Otherwise, you might get a lot of people thinking they're entitled to a player who their team acquired mid-season. It can get messy fast because of all the mid-season trades. This is a lot of legwork up front to post each team's eligible players, but it will likely prevent a lot of arguments later.
3/14/2023 3:04 PM
Posted by tigerpaw23 on 3/14/2023 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Oh! Sorry for misunderstanding your question. No to be fair to everyone, we will randomize the inaugural draft and snake it for the other two rounds.
For those who might not know what a snake draft is: we reverse the order of the draft in round two and then again in three.
For hypothetical example only (and brevity) if we had only five teams in our league, the draft would look like this.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
5.
4.
3.
2.
1.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Hope that makes sense.
BTW, if people like the idea, I am not opposed to doing that every year. Would eliminate tanking, etc, entirely.
Oh. I don't like that, but I'll roll with it. If the draft is randomized every year I probably will have to pull out. With that setup there's much less chance for a bad team to get better.
3/14/2023 3:06 PM
Oh. I don't like that, but I'll roll with it. If the draft is randomized every year I probably will have to pull out. With that setup there's much less chance for a bad team to get better. - chrisekeedei
It is just an idea, after year one, we will likely do a straight worst to first draft.
3/14/2023 3:56 PM
It would not be that difficult to determine what team a player started a season with. I would be willing to help out with that if needed.

Feedback is great but this league is pretty much full and I feel you are picking it apart before we even get started. The commish has a nice idea. Let’s get this started and things can be tweaked if necessary.

Let’s roll!
3/14/2023 8:34 PM
Well, these are important issues to finalize before we start. Better now than after arguments start over who gets what player and people quit in a huff. Plus people deserve to know the rules before they start so they know what they're signing up for. Finding out what players you're starting with is no small matter.

I'm willing to help out with figuring out which team has rights to which players. I recognize that not everyone wants to do that; you have to go to basbeall-reference and go through transaction histories and such. As I mentioned before, I'm in another league where the commish figures out the eligible players for each franchise. I think if we spread the duty out to several willing deputies we can get it done smoothly.
3/14/2023 9:02 PM (edited)
Did the rules change, could of sworn when I signed up, the rules said the 3 round draft would go by there 2000 season record, kinda why I took the team I did.
Now we’re saying the best teams might get 1st picks? Nah, this is wrong to change things up after sign ups…….am I just going crazy?
3/14/2023 9:04 PM (edited)
Posted by Disco Dogs on 3/14/2023 9:04:00 PM (view original):
Did the rules change, could of sworn when I signed up, the rules said the 3 round draft would go by there 2000 season record, kinda why I took the team I did.
Now we’re saying the best teams might get 1st picks? Nah, this is wrong to change things up after sign ups…….am I just going crazy?
Not a change, exactly, more of a miscommunication. On the top of page 3 of this thread you can see an exchange between me and Maddawg about it. He misinterpreted what I said, or maybe I wasn't clear, or whatever. I also signed up for a bad team thinking I'd get a top pick in the dispersal draft. I'm not terribly happy that that's not happening, but I've been assured that every other draft will be worst-to-first so that my team will at least have a chance of getting better.
3/14/2023 9:09 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2000 HISHBD League. Just one spot left!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.