Another tragedy averted by an armed citizen Topic

Posted by creilmann on 1/12/2011 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by creilmann on 1/11/2011 6:38:00 PM (view original):
This list could go on and on....the cries of the stupidity of people like Dan Quayle, Gerald Ford (who was attacked because of his wife's substance abuse problems), Bob Dole, and Newt Gingrich to name a few.  It seems eerily similar to what the Nazi's did to Poland when they killed off the most intelligent and then started making "Polock jokes" to further push the idea that Poles were stupid.

Is this guy serious?  This is a joke right?  
Because I would think that Joe McCarthy and the Red Scare of the 40's and 50's would be eerily similar to what the nazis did.  I would think that maybe the Southern Strategy that the GOP used in the 60's would seem eerily similar to what the nazis did.  Or maybe the non-stop violence against gays that the Christian right has condoned, or the constant rhetoric of liberals being anti-American or maybe the fact that any brown lookin' fella in Arizona today can be stopped by police and asked to show his papers or maybe it would be the fact that right has had a field day painting Obama as "not one of us" to the point that there is a substantial movement on the right that believes he wasn't born in the US and is not legally our President or Sarah Palin's Real or Pro America vs those anti-American areas like Chicago, Manhattan and Northern Virginia, or Ann Coulter's call to "execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too." or etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......

None of that seems eerily similar to what the nazi's did, but questioning Sarah Palin's intelligence or flat out calling her an idiot (which, to be clear, she absolutely is) seems to be rather nazi-like to you.  Got it.
So someone goes a little far in labeling actions Nazi like and you show your true colors!

Joe McCarthy is similar to the Nazis? He may have went overboard, but they were our enemy.
Focusing on states that support issues similar to yours is Nazi Like? Is anything based on an election really dictatorial?
How much Anti-Gay violence really exists? When did the Religious Right EVER endorse it?
Most of the people in the country illegally are hispanic (Brown people is your little pet name for them). Criminal must be stopped!
The left always paints Conservatives as "Supporting the rich and not us". 

All of this is nuts! 

Politics sometimes gets a little ugly. If you are going to flip out anytime the other side does it and ignore all the stuff from your side...what is the name for that...oh yeah...Hypocrite! 
1/13/2011 12:37 AM
Posted by creilmann on 1/12/2011 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by creilmann on 1/11/2011 6:38:00 PM (view original):
This list could go on and on....the cries of the stupidity of people like Dan Quayle, Gerald Ford (who was attacked because of his wife's substance abuse problems), Bob Dole, and Newt Gingrich to name a few.  It seems eerily similar to what the Nazi's did to Poland when they killed off the most intelligent and then started making "Polock jokes" to further push the idea that Poles were stupid.

Is this guy serious?  This is a joke right?  
Because I would think that Joe McCarthy and the Red Scare of the 40's and 50's would be eerily similar to what the nazis did.  I would think that maybe the Southern Strategy that the GOP used in the 60's would seem eerily similar to what the nazis did.  Or maybe the non-stop violence against gays that the Christian right has condoned, or the constant rhetoric of liberals being anti-American or maybe the fact that any brown lookin' fella in Arizona today can be stopped by police and asked to show his papers or maybe it would be the fact that right has had a field day painting Obama as "not one of us" to the point that there is a substantial movement on the right that believes he wasn't born in the US and is not legally our President or Sarah Palin's Real or Pro America vs those anti-American areas like Chicago, Manhattan and Northern Virginia, or Ann Coulter's call to "execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too." or etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......

None of that seems eerily similar to what the nazi's did, but questioning Sarah Palin's intelligence or flat out calling her an idiot (which, to be clear, she absolutely is) seems to be rather nazi-like to you.  Got it.
Dude...
1/13/2011 2:35 AM
<<<but questioning Sarah Palin's intelligence or flat out calling her an idiot (which, to be clear, she absolutely is)>>>

As always I do need to defend Ms Palin from attacks from the left.

1 The only real basis for her being stupid is 2 interviews during the election, that almost no one saw completely.
2 Her entire life history portrays a dynamic, clever and personable lady.

The evidence is clearly in the corner of Ms Palin. I realize that matters little to the left. Bush, Reagan, Palin, Ford and Quayle are all stupid to them. No evidence needed, for anyone who stands up loud and proud and stands for a conservative worldview is stupid.

Look at the way the radical left on these forums treats me!
1/13/2011 3:34 AM
swamp, the woman just used the phrase 'blood libel' without having a clue what it actually meant, because she thought it sounded cool.

She's an idiot.
1/13/2011 9:41 AM
She used a phrase that had a meaning in another context.

This isnt a major gaffe.

What we need to be talking about is how the media is trying to tie the massacre to the Tea Party over and over again.
1/13/2011 5:27 PM
Yes, it is. It's a massive gaffe. You only reinforce everyone's ****** opinion of you when you deny the obvious.
President of Jewish Funds for Justice Simon Greer said in a statement that "the term 'blood libel' is not a synonym for 'false accusation.' It refers to a specific falsehood perpetuated by Christians about Jews for centuries, a falsehood that motivated a good deal of anti-Jewish violence and discrimination. Unless someone has been accusing Ms. Palin of killing Christian babies and making matzoh from their blood, her use of the term is totally out-of-line."
1/13/2011 6:10 PM
No one is trying to explain it away. She used the wrong phrase.

That does not lessen the actions of the left during the tragedy. This does not forgive their actions in trying to use a massacre for political gain.
1/13/2011 8:01 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/13/2011 8:01:00 PM:
No one is trying to explain it away.

No one other than you, you mean.

Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/13/2011 5:27:00 PM:

This isnt a major gaffe.

You'd think someone who lies as much as you do would be better at it.
1/14/2011 2:18 AM
Posted by antonsirius on 1/14/2011 2:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/13/2011 8:01:00 PM:
No one is trying to explain it away.

No one other than you, you mean.

Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/13/2011 5:27:00 PM:

This isnt a major gaffe.

You'd think someone who lies as much as you do would be better at it.
It isnt a major gaffe. She used a phrase wrong.

You stil need to keep saying lie over and over, even for things that are clearly not lies.

Is it that you think if you say it enough people will believe it or that you think if you say it some people might not check that you are wrong and they will believe you that way.

I know you are not stupid enough to actually use it wrong all those times!
1/14/2011 6:45 AM
You said "No one is trying to explain it away" less than three hours after you tried to explain it away.

That's a lie. And a particularly stupid one in a text-based medium.
1/14/2011 12:04 PM
She has a habit of doing that a lot, could it be her handlers can't rein her in, or she doesn't look up what she is planning to say - which would indicate to me she really is in over her head here.
1/14/2011 5:55 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 1/14/2011 12:04:00 PM (view original):
You said "No one is trying to explain it away" less than three hours after you tried to explain it away.

That's a lie. And a particularly stupid one in a text-based medium.
You have that problem of not saying "We see this different" or "I feel you are wrong about that". You jump to liar.

No one is trying to explain it away, we are just defining the incident.
1/14/2011 6:47 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 1/14/2011 5:55:00 PM (view original):
She has a habit of doing that a lot, could it be her handlers can't rein her in, or she doesn't look up what she is planning to say - which would indicate to me she really is in over her head here.
Again she used the phrase in the wrong context.

The issue is why would the media spend all the time and effort addressing the gaffe and not the underlying issue!
1/14/2011 6:48 PM
At the risk of embarrassing myself...I didn't know the origins of it, either.  I wouldn't have used it because, well, it's really not just kicking around in my regular vocab, but also because it sounds kind of like it's probably some kind of wrong....

However, I wouldn't have known about the anti-semitic origins without people (i.e. the news) telling me, too.  And I'm decently educated and well-read...at least I thought I was.  I guess I'm just saying that it's a gaffe...but it feels like a low-level one that came from misusing a thesaurus, not from thinking that saying that sort of thing was OK...it's got nothing on her greatest hits reel of not understanding the basics of economics or geo-political relationships, I don't think.
1/14/2011 11:18 PM
OK, but it's not like mistaking 'nauseous' for 'nauseated'. It's more like mistaking 'hologram' for 'Holocaust', or 'kite' for '****'. She used a phrase she saw being tossed around that she thought had some oomph to it without bothering to look it up, and as a result made a rather horrifically offensive comparison.

If it's comparable to anything it's George Allen's "Macaca moment". In both cases it's not entirely clear whether they knew what they were really saying, and in both cases ignorance isn't really much of an excuse.
1/15/2011 2:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Another tragedy averted by an armed citizen Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.