RIP Mike Hegan Topic

left us at age 71
12/27/2013 1:57 PM
Thanks for posting this. Mike Hegan and Matt Batts have been the catching duo for a progressive league team of mine now from 1948 to now the near-end of 1954. Hegan has been steady, reliable and at times brilliant. 

Whenever I hear of the passing of one of the players we know primarily through WIS play, it makes me sad I never wrote them somehow, somewhere, to say, "Your virtual baseball persona is a fixture on my team on a website I play baseball on and you are a terrific player. Thanks !"

12/27/2013 5:56 PM
I'm guessing italyprof means Jim Hegan (Hegan pere) rather than Mike (Hegan fils).  Mike was a 1B/OF in the 70s, and IIRC, a member of the Seattle Pilots as a well.
12/27/2013 6:42 PM
I think you're correct contrarian, but appreciate italy's post and thoughts
12/29/2013 3:22 PM
Yikes ! I did intend Jim Hegan.

This is embarrassing especially when we are discussing the passing of a person. I am sorry for the confusion. But the overall point about how I have learned of players I otherwise would not have through playing here stands. 

And the Seattle Pilots, after all, played a major role in giving us "Ball Four" which was formative of my outlook on the world in many more areas than baseball. 

Farewell Mike Hegan, with apologies.
12/29/2013 5:01 PM
" Whenever I hear of the passing of one of the players we know primarily through WIS play, it makes me sad I never wrote them somehow, somewhere, to say, "Your virtual baseball persona is a fixture on my team on a website I play baseball on and you are a terrific player. Thanks !" "

I seem to remember somebody posting - many moons ago - that they had run into Bob Milacki, and told him about his SIM god-ness. As I recall, Milacki got a kick out of it.
12/30/2013 1:56 PM
I remember googling Cisco Carlos and discovered he has a successfuly kitchen remodeling business (or something of the like) in Arizona.  So I googled that business and found his web site. There was a email option and I sent him and email and told him about how he is one of the best relievers in this game and he sent a nice thank you note and seemed to have gotten a kick out of it. :-)

I remember using Mike Hegan after picking him up off of the WW.  He had a season where he was very cheap (under $1 mil I'd say) and had a good AVG. Turned out to be a nice pickup using him as a pinch hitter for my stretch run.  

Wasn't Mike Hegan also a broadcaster for a short while?  
1/5/2014 2:06 PM
23 years for the Cleveland Indians
1/5/2014 3:25 PM
RIP Mike Hegan Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.