So I have seen quite a few leagues around that focus on geography by place of birth, but I had a different idea. My idea is to do a league based on place of death. Being as this would be based on place of death I would also think it would be best as a regressive. So my idea is to break the US/World into six regions and have a 24 team league.
Each division would have a separate draft from all of the players available who died in their region. The full list of players can be found here:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/ Scroll about halfway down and you can see the list by place of death.
Since we are drafting from the entire pool players tanking to get a better draft pick should not even be an issue so the draft order will be worst to first every year. The initial draft will be random and serpentine, straight order every year after that. One other thing I will add is that if you do the research and find a player who is not on that list, but can provide me with adequate proof of place of death you may draft that player as well. When drafted a player will regress one season at a time. Any seasons that they are on IR they are just skipped on to their next active season. You may cut players at any point. Once you cut a player they will be blacklisted for five seasons until they can be re-drafted to start at their last season again.
Trades may only be made within your division. Alignment will be standard WiS Format, 3 divisions of four teams.
I have done a ton of research on the totals and evened them out as much as I can. Based on my research the divisions will be as follows:
National League
New England Division
Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Canada & Europe
Mid-Atlantic Coast
Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, West Virginia
Midwest
Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee
American League
Southeast
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Central, South America & Caribbean
Big Sky
Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming
West
Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Asia/Pacific Islands
Anyone interested?