Hey all,
Just starting to get interested here. What is the source for the advanced statistics when drafting players? They don't look the same as basketball-reference, but it sounds like these are the important ones to monitor.
7/3/2020 5:26 PM
Posted by Llamafeet on 7/3/2020 5:28:00 PM (view original):
Hey all,
Just starting to get interested here. What is the source for the advanced statistics when drafting players? They don't look the same as basketball-reference, but it sounds like these are the important ones to monitor.
They are the same as basketball reference but you'll want to refer to adjusted shooting rather than advanced for eFG%. Good rule of thumb would be to not use anyone below 50% eFG% unless they are very low usage with huge REB or AST % stats. I think some users would up that and say not to go below 52-53, I'm certainly no expert.
7/3/2020 6:24 PM
yeah bballref is a good basis but there is some fudging on stuff like ast% also much of the pre merger stuff is made up BS - just ask Bill Russell
7/3/2020 7:00 PM
I wasn't even thinking about pre-ABA players. I was just messing around with some modern players. Stats like block, assist and steal percentage do not match. Myles Turner 18-19 has a block percentage of 8.4 according to b-ref, but here it's 5.2. Rudy Gobert 18-19 has a block percent of 5.8 on b-ref, but here it is 4.0. Shooting percentages and usage match, though.

I was just curious about what the adjustments are and, if possible, what the logic is for making it different.
7/4/2020 10:17 AM (edited)
I mean he’s got a point. Anyone know why the numbers differ from NBA.com and bballref even though the WIS FAQ article about stat calculations seem to be the same explanation as the other two sites?
7/4/2020 11:23 AM
For blk% WIS doesn’t remove 3PA.
For ast% WIS doesn’t remove a players own fga.

Both changes make sense when you take into account how the sim calculates each possession.
7/4/2020 12:48 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 7/4/2020 12:48:00 PM (view original):
For blk% WIS doesn’t remove 3PA.
For ast% WIS doesn’t remove a players own fga.

Both changes make sense when you take into account how the sim calculates each possession.
Yeah, that does make sense.

Where is that listed? Not that I doubt you, but I would like to see what other tidbits are out there.
7/4/2020 12:58 PM
It’s not listed. At least not that I know of. I had to do my own calculations to figure it out. The assist one is actually a Bball reference stat called assist rate, WIS just calls it assist percentage to be consistent with their other stats. Makes it confusing though.
7/4/2020 1:07 PM
I got admin confirmation years & years ago on both things Ben cited. I would find the post, but we're talking like 7 or 8 years ago.
7/4/2020 6:26 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.