How do progressive themes work? Topic

Just looking into progressives for the first time and I'm not really sure how it works.   Anyone who is willing to take a couple minutes and fill me in I would appreciate it.  I'm just looking to expand my knowledge of this game and try out new themes and so forth. Thanks again.
9/6/2012 8:42 PM
You could think of it as having a single season team of exclusive players that progress from one season to the next.  An example would be having a team of players from the 1998 season.  You play out the season with your players and then at the end of the season pick out the players you want to keep for next year.  A draft is held for the next year.  Rookies and players cut from other teams are in the draft.  You add to your keepers by selecting players from the draft.  

I find progressives a lot of fun for several reasons.  I find more like real life baseball since your bench players and subs impact your team much more.  You aren't going to end up with a lineup of allstars and HOF'ers.  That 3rd round draft pick for a year is going to impact your team.  You tend to see players perform a lot closer to their real life numbers as well.  

I think the comradery and rivalries between teams and owners make the league much more enjoyable as well.  

Really this is just the tip of the barrel, I believe there is a FAQ on progressives out there somewhere, I couldn't find it.  Anyone have the link?

Couldn't end my response with plugging one of the progressives I am in as well.  We have an opening for the 1999 season in the WIBL.  It is a great league and my favorite progressive.  We have 15 owners that have been in the league for 12 or more seasons.  I am sure we can hook you with a free season if you are willing to commit to the league.
9/6/2012 9:16 PM
I have bumped the thread you were speaking of profcake.
It is in the SimLeague Baseball forum.
contrarian was the author of the thread.
It should help you a lot Dalefan.
9/6/2012 9:50 PM
One question Profacke.  If i keep all these guys from 1998.... do they stay as 1998 or turn into 1999?  i am very interested in playing this.   Im going to try to find your league to look at it and if there is still an opening I would probably accept the offer!
9/7/2012 1:04 AM
1999 in a "progressive"

1997 in a "regressive progressive"

check out "progressive draft database" thread I bumped for you, ask to be added. Every season draft examples are in there plus alot of discussion.
9/7/2012 1:19 AM (edited)
Posted by Dalefan1 on 9/7/2012 1:04:00 AM (view original):
One question Profacke.  If i keep all these guys from 1998.... do they stay as 1998 or turn into 1999?  i am very interested in playing this.   Im going to try to find your league to look at it and if there is still an opening I would probably accept the offer!
They would progress to the '99 season.  The next year they would go to 2000 and etc.  The advertisement for our league is http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=459104&TopicsTimeframe=30.

fencer024 is our commissioner, he is the one to sitemail and let him know he is interested.  I am sure everyone would be thrilled to have you.
9/7/2012 2:04 AM
Posted by Dalefan1 on 9/6/2012 8:42:00 PM (view original):
Just looking into progressives for the first time and I'm not really sure how it works.   Anyone who is willing to take a couple minutes and fill me in I would appreciate it.  I'm just looking to expand my knowledge of this game and try out new themes and so forth. Thanks again.
Enquiring Minds like to know.
7/25/2021 5:40 AM
dalefan, I commish 3 progressives....I very seldom play a theme. The building of your team through drafts and trades are a highlight. Rivalries and bragging rights are fun. And that you can play through different eras as you progress to give you a chance to manage a bunch of different guys. One I commish is in 1927, one in 1965, and one in 75. My advice is to find a progressive entering into, or just into, your favorite era, and join. commit yourself to five seasons to get a real feel for the league and what it takes to build a team. I don't believe you will regret it.....and a bonus is you stay away from the sharks who build with the same "cookie" players in thems at the expense of newbies.

Have Fun!!!!
8/7/2021 10:19 PM
Progressives are hands down my favorite thing about this site.

I currently run a 1969 league (started in 1963) and am in a 1996 league and a 1962 league.

The ability to draft a team and run it through drafts and trades is a tremendous amount of fun.
8/7/2021 11:31 PM
How do progressive themes work? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.