So I was looking through some... Topic

...of my old teams and saw the following:

60-61 Bill Russell (Boston Celtics) oreb: 11.1% dreb%: 40.2% (and it wasn't his top reb season). Had something like 4.6% blk%, too.

It's pretty sad the state Bill Russell is in for today's sim. His best reb is like 12% // 32% with his blocks at 3.9%. With his turnovers and bad efg%, it begs the question: Why are most of his seasons between 8 and 9 million?

That's glossing over the obvious question (of where did wis get these numbers, which we know the answer, they fabricated them).

I don't want to even think about Wilt... but at least Wilt's fg% is good enough to earn him on rosters (the non 30+ppg versions, anyway).

Anybody you miss using from the previous version(s) of the sim? Only the current version and the two before it were the ones I've played with.
11/28/2009 1:45 AM
yeah, back in the day, i won 4 rings in a row (4 open leagues) using this "cookie-cutter" squad i put together. it got copied, so i stopped using it.

i called it: 15 ft of bol

oscar, west, barkley, rodman, bol, bol. now, the logo is a has-been, oscar no longer is a league terror, and bol is laughable at best. today's sim favors barkley and rodman... we're only talking maybe a year ago or so this team was damn hard to beat...

there was also an owner, i forget his name, used to make teams called: The Legend Rides Again, The Legend Is Back... names like that... his teams always had these 4 guys: Russell, Pippen, Kidd and Thurmond and a revolving high def scorer as the 5th guy.

in other words, def was something of value back then.

jakotay mentioned this in our hdp league when he implied there is something wrong with the current state of affairs when rodman is favored over duncan. in the real world, u build around TD, the worm is a great role player. in the sim, rodman is the world beater.
11/28/2009 5:31 AM
hmm.. where to start w/ this.. besides the guys already mentioned, it was fun using

baylor - that 50 game season was my favorite but not anymore.
pettit - does anyone use him anymore?
buse - nash took his place as the cookie PG
schayes - why would anyone even consider him now with his low eFG%
nance - his once great D is now pretty ineffective
arizin + hondo - never see these guys anymore either, used to love using them

to be fair, I've stopped playing open leagues but I can safely say I wouldn't use any of these guys nowadays on an OL squad.
11/28/2009 1:22 PM
The legend of the six!
11/28/2009 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By scudmissle on 11/28/2009
yeah, back in the day, i won 4 rings in a row (4 open leagues) using this "cookie-cutter" squad i put together. it got copied, so i stopped using it.

i called it: 15 ft of bol

oscar, west, barkley, rodman, bol, bol. now, the logo is a has-been, oscar no longer is a league terror, and bol is laughable at best. today's sim favors barkley and rodman... we're only talking maybe a year ago or so this team was damn hard to beat...

there was also an owner, i forget his name, used to make teams called: The Legend Rides Again, The Legend Is Back... names like that... his teams always had these 4 guys: Russell, Pippen, Kidd and Thurmond and a revolving high def scorer as the 5th guy.

in other words, def was something of value back then.

jakotay mentioned this in our hdp league when he implied there is something wrong with the current state of affairs when rodman is favored over duncan. in the real world, u build around TD, the worm is a great role player. in the sim, rodman is the world beater.

wasnt dudes name jose or something like that??
11/28/2009 3:31 PM
And yes you could use a number of combination back in the day and win. More then you can now. Oscar, West, McHale, Joe Caldwell, $4 mil Stockton, Pippen, R Wallace, were all staples who just aren't as reliable anymore with this new version. Shoot even Muggsy paired with the 50 PPG Wiltzilla was fun to build around! $57 mil caps were fun to build a 5 man all time team with an excellant 6th man, now with the new salaries $57 mil you can have too many mins. I won 5 titles under 2 user names in $57 mil caps with 5 totally diff teams. I actually just put together my main 8 man rotation from my 1st title team on paper and I had enough mins and still had $3 mil on the table. Nowadays I don't think 1 of those teams would be able to compete because they weren't exactly high 3 pt shooting teams paired with low TO guys. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
11/28/2009 3:38 PM
yeah, thanks, earl! his name was... josecanusee. and yeah, one of his teams was, The Legend of the Six. i remember he won all those rings and owners were trashing him in the forums about never changing his roster except for that revolving 5th spot... he had a cookie-cutter team (his own design), then it got copied and he stopped using that team and built another... and got creamed by the teams that had copied his first one. lol. such is life in wisnba.

and gary... u know i loved buse, he was on all my teams... buse, paul pierce, thurmond, eddie jones, marion, and a partial season of rodman.

i also loved using ron boone... and wait for it... dave robisch! lol.
11/28/2009 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scudmissle on 11/28/2009i remember he won all those rings and owners were trashing him in the forums about never changing his roster except for that revolving 5th spot... he had a cookie-cutter team (his own design)

yeah, that happened to me when I first started... I used basically the same 8 or 9 players, won 4 quick championships and took a bunch of crap from certain owners, who still, to this day ride my nuts.
11/28/2009 10:38 PM
I don't like that 61-62 Elgin Baylor season...had him 5 years ago or so, and he got injured in the 1st game for me after only 14 minutes of action (he's good for 20 or so per game), and I don't remember using him since. Although I think that was also back in the day where WIS based injuries off of games played, but still that occurence was rather bizarre. He was out for like 6 games or so.
11/28/2009 10:56 PM
So I was looking through some... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.