the appeal of open leagues...? Topic

how is it even an option to play these things any more? aside from complete and utter newbies, how could you enter an open league and not see the winning combo???

each championship team has some combo of 78-79 moses, 91-92 rodman, 03-04 peja, 05-06 allen, and one year of 05-08 nash.

even if you play w/variety, you still one of those clowns on the winning team(s). you can chuck 08-09 troy murphy, 85-86 bird, and other SIM jokes into this pool.

THIS IS A PLEA TO OPEN LEAGUERS - ENTER THEME LEAGUES. THE OPEN LEAGUES IN NBA SIM SUCK. TRY SOMETHING NEW. I BEG YOU.

that is all.
9/30/2009 9:51 PM
break the code - there's always some dominant paradigm - maybe the fun is figuring out how to beat it
10/1/2009 11:44 AM
the other thing to consider is that for any release these paradigm teams more or less diagnose the flaws and faults of the engine

look at the team you describe - what does their perimeter defense look like? crap maybe? do they pay for having d ratings of 30s and 40s on the perimeter? not really

if you play them with perimeter players with high d ratings does that slow down their 3 point onslaught? not really

and what of that 3pt onslaught? there's a reason that people who are loading their teams with 1500-1800 3pas are having success - anecdotally Im pretty used to seeing the 3p fg% of my players sim higher than IRL - why might that be?
10/1/2009 11:56 AM
I guess I'm with monkee here...why would you want to incessantly enter the same team/kind of team over and over and over again?

The game is nowhere near great...hell even playable, however it is what you make of it, and if you confine yourself to these cookie cutter combinations because you feel like you can't win with anything else, then you should take a hard look in the mirror.
10/1/2009 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by colonels19 on 10/01/2009I guess I'm with monkee here...why would you want to incessantly enter the same team/kind of team over and over and over again?The game is nowhere near great...hell even playable, however it is what you make of it, and if you confine yourself to these cookie cutter combinations because you feel like you can't win with anything else, then you should take a hard look in the mirror.

exactly my point.

and monk - i agree w/everything you say except for the joy in defeating the paradigm. the paradigm is a vile, disgusting excuse to describe the dominant team structure in this game.

no open leagues for me until their is a new engine or adjustments have been made.
10/1/2009 12:32 PM
Agree w/everyone and haven't played OL for awhile.

However you have the same guys (Moses, Worm, Nash, Shaq, Bird) in most themes and once they are gone, good luck getting to the playoffs. Same sh*t. The low $ leagues are most like what the OL used to be like.

I enjoy being able to compete using the Unselds, Mark Prices, and Mike Millers of the SIM, but I don't like the engine too much right now.
10/1/2009 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By badja on 10/01/2009Agree w/everyone and haven't played OL for awhile.

However you have the same guys (Moses, Worm, Nash, Shaq, Bird) in most themes and once they are gone, good luck getting to the playoffs. Same sh*t. The low $ leagues are most like what the OL used to be like.

I enjoy being able to compete using the Unselds, Mark Prices, & Mark Millers of the SIM, but I don't like the engine too much right now
I'm surprised Mark Price isnt used more actually - his 89-90 season is pretty straight up paradigm
10/1/2009 7:18 PM
Has anyone studied how many more 3 point FGs are being attempted in the SIM than in RL? How much higher is the 3 point FG% than in RL?
10/3/2009 1:27 AM
Typically I see teams shooting 5-6% over RL for the season.
10/5/2009 7:46 PM
OL is fun when you have the best record in your conference and you secure the bye week only to play a guy in the 2nd round whose players are all still 100% even though they are all avg 3-4 mins over their TM from a 7 game series AND then he decides to play his starters for the full 48 mins of every game against me. His players still took 2 games to fatigue and then even after they dropped into the low 90s and Nash got hurt during a game, and BTW he was 5-5 at 85% fatigue b4 the injury he still ended up beating me and then losing in the next round because I refused to sacrifice my teams own fatigue by doing the same stupid BS. I also like the guys who bench their entire starting 5 for the 1st game of a playoff series so they can run theirs starters 48 mins each with no penalty for the next 6 games of the series. Those owners make OL fun. Sory for my retarded rant, only 3 more free teams then I am done.
10/5/2009 8:06 PM
i wish i would have read this forum before i just joined an open league...
2/4/2010 3:07 PM
andrew5975 = emonk alias.
2/4/2010 3:34 PM
im not even sure what that means...
2/4/2010 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monkee on 10/01/2009break the code - there's always some dominant paradigm - maybe the fun is figuring out how to beat it

Quoted for irony. Yeah this guy was a loose cannon and he also filled your pockets, WIS. There is no such thing as bad publicity.
2/5/2010 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by badja on 2/05/2010
Quote: Originally posted by monkee on 10/01/2009break the code - there's always some dominant paradigm - maybe the fun is figuring out how to beat it
Quoted for irony. Yeah this guy was a loose cannon and he also filled your pockets, WIS. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

good call badja!
2/5/2010 2:22 PM
the appeal of open leagues...? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.