Theme leagues filling slow of late Topic

With a scant few exceptions, Theme leagues are taking forever to fill these days and when they do, it seems like it takes forever to get all the teams entered.  I remember a ways back when mudbone filled a Macabre Death theme in about 45 minutes.   This is in no wise a complaint, just an observation.  Could it be because of:

1. The economic climate?  -  Thankfully, I've remained employed but have definitely cut back on frivolous spending.

2. thejuice6's mega tournament(s) that seem to suck the life out of the "mom & pop" themes? -  Hey, don't get me wrong,  I like the juiceman and have been in his leagues and he's been in mine... no rancor here.

3. WIS burnout?  -  Earlier this summer I cut way back to maybe 3-4 active teams... it was refreshing.  But it's a tough addiction and I'm now up to double digits again.
9/29/2010 5:07 PM
I'm about to start my 3rd league and I can only do one league at at a time due to a budget not to mention I would probably burn out if I did more.  I definetely need leisure time and I like this game because I can take a month off before starting a new league.   Trying to find simple leisure time activities is important, this game is a little complicated but it is really fun for a lover of baseball. I was possibly looking into a hardball dynasty league in the future just to try. Watching the "sports century"show on espn classics has brought me back to play again.
9/29/2010 5:33 PM

For me it's (thankfully) mostly 2, with the WIS Championship thrown in....I've got a lot of teams - I'm embarrassed to say how many - committed to those 2 endeavors.  Throw in a few progressives, and that's all I've got time for right now.  There are a lot of themes currently advertised, that I've played in before but have no bandwidth for right now.  Similarly, there are many owners, including you finn, whose leagues I would almost certainly consider during a less frenzied time on WIS.

9/29/2010 7:45 PM
I gave up on mine.
I actually filled a league in a decent amount of time before the WIS Championship started, and couldn't get more than 4 people for season 2.
9/29/2010 9:26 PM
I am aghast - AGHAST, I tell you! - that Spotsell's Dodgeball league had to start with 16 because he couldn't get 24.  Easily one of the best themes EVER, and it just wouldn't fill.  Did I mention I am aghast?  Well, I am.
9/30/2010 2:32 AM
For me, it's strictly the WIS championship that's stopping me from being in more theme leagues. I've devoted ALL my WIS time to it...
9/30/2010 3:22 PM
I wonder if the WISC is good or bad for the overall health of SLB? Hard to say for sure. You could argue both ways.
10/1/2010 12:39 AM
I dunno.  I tried to join Dodgeball twice a few months apart about a year and a half ago and both times it never got off the ground...  So that certainly is not unprecedented...
10/1/2010 2:33 AM
This happens every now and then....the new guys will be released in 2 weeks and then leagues will fill fast again.   There will be 2010 leagues that fill in a day. 
10/1/2010 2:34 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/1/2010 2:34:00 PM (view original):
This happens every now and then....the new guys will be released in 2 weeks and then leagues will fill fast again.   There will be 2010 leagues that fill in a day. 
TJ's on point here.

Every year around this time, the baseball portion of WIS slows.......
College and Pro football dominate weekend TV time, so even though RL MLB is in the homestretch, owners are abit worn w/ current players.
Once the 2010 guys are released and the "newness" of football has passed, the simmers will be back.

But the economy has had an effect IMO... As for me, I stick w/ my 3 progs (Centenary, JCP Progressive & EEPL) and limit myself to 1-2 themes at a time.

HOWEVER
, what is missing is the "When 2010 gets released who'll be worth what?" forum. I do not do open leagues anymore, but it was fun to peruse those pages.......
10/1/2010 6:56 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/1/2010 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Yep, I agree once the 2010 players are released you'll see a flurry of activity.
10/4/2010 1:08 PM
I am giving mine one last shot, before pulling it down. Guess people just like their deadball pitchers too much to give them up. Oh well
10/4/2010 11:27 PM
It seems to me that there are just too many theme leagues right now. I'm curious what everyone else's impression is - do you think people start them more for the prospect of a free team or because they really believe in their theme idea? In other words, if WIS reduced or eliminated the financial benefit of filling a theme league, would it have a dramatic impact on the number of leagues available?
10/21/2010 9:37 AM
I probably represent a modest non-vocal number that says 3 games a day 7 days a week is too much.  2 games a day would be great and/or at least take Sunday off.  (spaz out junkies!)

That's really my reason for not taking on more teams.
10/21/2010 9:00 PM
Theme leagues filling slow of late Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.