Feedback, please? New progressive idea... Topic

Hey guys -

I posted a thread for a new progressive theme early in the week, and haven't gotten a single bite or sniff of interest. I'm OK with that, but wondered if anyone might take a moment to look over my idea tell me what you think [I'm fine with brutal honesty :) ].

Are there any flaws or holes in my concept, or as a new commissioner have I just not built up enough credibility to be trusted to run something of this magnitude? I'd be interested to receive input from either direction. Thanks!

My progressive idea is below.
2/24/2012 7:56 AM
BIRTH OF THE BIG LEAGUES (BOBL) PROGRESSIVE
 
This league will use dual seasons, beginning with 1885 (the first season in the database) and 1915. It will progress from there to 1886/1916, then 1887/1917, and so on. We will use the 16 franchises from the 1915 season (posted below). You can come up with your own mascot/team name, but must use the true city name and stadium for your franchise, again using 1915 as the reference point. I will either use WIS league format B or E, so that we get 162 games and will have 4 playoff teams. League affiliation will reflect RL, divisions will be determined geographically. I’m open to either having interleague play or not. Feel free to chime in on that.
 

Here’s my spin: you do not pick a franchise when you sign up for the league. The first round of the draft will be determined by lottery (detailed in rules section below). In the first round you will select [1] your franchise (and therefore your city and stadium), and [2] your first player: your “franchise” player.
 
Your franchise player must be someone who actually spent a minimum of 3 seasons in real-life with your designated franchise, and has a season in the database for 1885 or 1915 (although not necessarily with your team in that specific year). For example, if you wanted Babe Ruth, then you could either choose the Boston (AL) or New York (AL) franchise because he played for 3 or more seasons with each team. You could not take Ruth with the Boston (NL) franchise because even though he did play there, it was only during one season. There will be no clones, so if someone takes Boston (AL) and Ruth, then NY will have to take someone else. Whether or not Boston decides later to sell him to the Yanks for a six-pack and a bag of chips will then be up to those two owners! After Round 1 there will be no restrictions on which players may be taken, as long as they are from either the 1885 or 1915 seasons. Because we are drafting from only 2 seasons initially (1885 and 1915) some franchises will be more limited than others in their choices for a franchise player in Round 1, while other franchises might get to choose between 2 or more strong options. That means round 2 will have quite a few excellent players left for those franchises who were at the bottom of Round 1, and may not have had a decent selection for franchise player. The initial draft will go 1-16, 16-1, 16-1 and then serpentine from there until everyone has a full roster.
 

Everyone will need to be somewhat familiar with baseball history, but even if not,
www.baseball-reference.com can tell you most everything you’ll need to know. (There is also a thread in the SimLeague Baseball forum which covers the topic). For example, when searching for a franchise player, note that the Chicago White Stockings and the Chicago White Sox are not the same franchise. The Chicago (NL) Cubs were previously known as the White Stockings, then the Colts, and finally the Cubs. The Chicago (AL) White Sox have only ever been the White Sox. That means the Chicago (NL) franchise could select Cap Anson in Round 1, because he played for the White Stockings/Colts. Chicago (AL) could not select Anson in Round 1. This is just one example of the type of things you want to be aware of.
2/24/2012 7:57 AM
I really like the seasons you're using, but the main reason I didn't join is because I just joined an 1885 progressive that is currently drafting for 1886 and another progressive that is currently in 1916.  So the seasons are just too close to other leagues I'm in.  I also like the franchise player idea.  It adds something that a lot of other progressive don't which definitely sets this one apart.   If this league draws enough interest I'll probably reconsider though :-)
2/24/2012 1:05 PM
im looking for a new lg ...that will start at the beginning..you list 16 teams...will you expand number of teams as world progresses ...im interested
2/25/2012 3:51 AM
thanks, guys.  didn't realize another similar league had started recently, as I've just been watching this forum closely for about a month.

russillini - that's the plan.  i also was looking for one starting from the beginning of baseball, and also where I could be part of the initial draft.  wasn't seeing anything, so I decided I'd just start my own.  if the league runs long enough, franchises would move cities starting in the 50's, expansion beginning in the 60's, add the DH in the 70's, etc, etc.
2/25/2012 10:07 AM
im sure if you stick with it,,,you'll get this lg up and running...you can put me down...i want in...i like your ideas..and you have more then enough experience to be running a world...let me know if i can do anything..im in 3 worlds...if you'd like me to pitch the idea
2/25/2012 5:58 PM
Feedback, please? New progressive idea... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.