5/19 Release Survey Results Topic

Here are the results for the first 2 questions on the survey:

How do you feel in general about the new Defensive Ratings?
33% Better than the old ratings.
24% About the same as the old ratings.
13% Worse than the old ratings.
30% No opinion.

How should we handle the All-Defense boost?
23% Give the boost to 1st and 2nd team only.
24% Give the boost to 1st and 2nd team and anyone who gets a 1st team vote (i.e. No Change).
23% Give the boost to 1st and 2nd team and anyone who gets a 1st team vote, but lower it's impact.
13% Give the boost to 1st and 2nd team and anyone who gets a 1st team vote, but increase it's impact.
16% Keep things strictly objective and don't give the boost to anyone.

There was a decisive result on the 3rd question that we keep Defensive Rating and also show Stop%.
5/30/2008 11:57 AM
I would really like to hear from the owners who said they like think the new ratings are better than the old ratings.....
5/30/2008 11:59 AM
Seble, is there anyway you could redo this survey but send it to the top 50 or 100 owners in the NBA sim according to money spent on the site or total teams purchased? I would really like to see the difference. If there is no difference I would shut my yap and continue to let you do your fine work. ( and I am not being sarcastic since I really love this site and the nba sim )
5/30/2008 12:02 PM
To sum up our plans:

- Add Stop% to the draft search.

- The 2nd question indicated that 60% want to include anyone with a First-Team vote in the All-Defense boost. We will likely reduce the boost though, as it caused a lot of inflated ratings.

- We're still trying to acquire some team stats that were previously unavailable to improve the accuracy of numbers for some older players.

- We're discussing ways to improve the offensive range/defensive positioning system, including possibly removing the range categorization for something more flexible.

We appreciate all the responses in the survey and we're still working through the suggestions there.
5/30/2008 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cenquist on 5/30/2008Seble, is there anyway you could redo this survey but send it to the top 50 or 100 owners in the NBA sim according to money spent on the site or total teams purchased? I would really like to see the difference.
I don't think that's necessary. We're not using the survey as the end-all for making decisions.
5/30/2008 12:05 PM
But here is my point I guess....I have played a few MLB sim seasons. I recieved a survey about the sim and all the questions you were asking I really had no idea about some of them. I had to fill it out to get rid of it so I could fill out the NBA one you recently sent out. How many owners just purchased one or two teams in the last year.....and don't really care for the NBA sim or aren't going to play it very often at all. They may think it is ok the new way but how can there opinion be just as valid as say an owner who purchased a 6 pack every 3 months.
5/30/2008 12:09 PM
Whether a user has a team currently playing is meaningless really. All that's necessary to see the Defensive Ratings is to have a team in the Draft Center.
5/30/2008 12:16 PM
You are correct about that. But can you really tell me that the opinion of an owner who has one or two teams in the last year is exactly the same as an owner who has 4 or 5 six packs in the last year? I would figure that the second owner would care more about the sim and the way it is improving/declining.
5/30/2008 12:21 PM
Agreed, but there's not really a way to measure how much an owner cares about the game or how valid their opinions are.
5/30/2008 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 5/30/2008

- The 2nd question indicated that 60% want to include anyone with a First-Team vote in the All-Defense boost. We will likely reduce the boost though, as it caused a lot of inflated ratings.

That sounds like a key take-away. I'd be curious to see how much Lebron's First-Team vote caused an increase in his D rating.

Would it make sense to consider some threshold level for counting All-Defense votes, like 3 or 5? A single vote could be pretty extraneous...could have been anything from a whim to a "political" favor.
5/30/2008 1:19 PM
That's something we've discussed and we're open to a different level of minimum for inclusion, whether by total votes or 1st team votes.
5/30/2008 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 5/30/2008Whether a user has a team currently playing is meaningless really. All that's necessary to see the Defensive Ratings is to have a team in the Draft Center
I completely disagree...how can you evaluate the "correctness" of something if you haven't/won't/can't play it? Like I said, probably less than 10% of those 583 users have teams in the NEW SIM, but of course you won't own up to those numbers because you know I'm right. The opinions of people that don't play, don't matter...I will bank on the assumptions/assertations/developments, etc of the qistats, jakotays, monkeys, usmoos all day, long before I would necessarily even care what a newbie thought.

The new d ratings and o ranges are horrible...why else is it taking multiple days for open leagues to fill after a new release came out?

Your survey is not valid because more than 90% haven't/aren't playing in a full season in the new sim...period. Own your flawed logic dude.
5/30/2008 1:34 PM
You don't have to be playing in a league to view player information, which is what the survey was asking about.
5/30/2008 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cenquist on 5/30/2008
Seble, is there anyway you could redo this survey but send it to the top 50 or 100 owners in the NBA sim according to money spent on the site or total teams purchased? I would really like to see the difference. If there is no difference I would shut my yap and continue to let you do your fine work. ( and I am not being sarcastic since I really love this site and the nba sim )

I see your point but I wonder if that would really get you the clarity you're wanting. I suspect that top 100 (according to money) would include at least a few folks who are happy to spend oodles of money and time on the site, have uneven success at it, and are likely to continue doing so no matter what changes are or aren't made. But you'd probably miss out on the input of some owners who invest money at a much slower rate than many of us but do extremely well at the sim and know their hoops (abrondon and bball_jones come to mind). I don't know if there's a perfect way to parse the survey results. Just my two cents.
5/30/2008 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 5/30/2008That's something we've discussed and we're open to a different level of minimum for inclusion, whether by total votes or 1st team votes
Fair enough. Off the top of my head I'd advocate for a minimum of 3 total votes, since that demonstrates the beginnings of a real body of opinion, and starts to limit the possibility that an extraneous vote owing to a whim or bit of favoritism will influence the ratings.
5/30/2008 1:53 PM
1234 Next ▸
5/19 Release Survey Results Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.