I'm working on adding some more information to the SimLeague Basketball knowledge base. If there is anything you think warrants explanation that's not in there or needs more explanation please post here.

I'll definitely add the advanced stats (e.g. rebound%, Usage%, etc.). I'm also going to add an explanation of normalization and how we're using it.

Thanks.
9/8/2008 2:36 PM
I have 2 questions:

1. Are offense now run through 2pt%# and 3pt%# now?

2. Did rebounding system get revamped with the new release? Or is there a upper limit to rebounding where once you exceed it, your rebounding ability actually decreases (i.e some kind of bug)?

I am asking about question 2 because my new team, with a total of 5800 reb drafted (1900 off) got outrebounded 2x out of 4 games already by teams with 4700 reb and 4200 reb.

I understand reb rate now matters but my team starters with 91-92 Rodman (17.1oreb% 31.6dreb%), 81-82 Moses Malone (16.8 20.3), 68-69 Jerry Lucas (12.2 26.8), 60-61 Oscar (5.1 13.5 ) have some of the best reb rates in game.

They got outrebounded in game one by Unseld, Shaq, Frazier, Anthony Mason, and Jerry Sloan.

Game 2 got outrebounded by Mourning, Fat Lever, Peja, Phills, and Calderon, with Fat Lever incredibly taking 9 off boards.

I understand there are statistical outliers but my old rebounding teams with about 5k reb only got outrebounded 7x in 2 seasons plus playoffs, so something seems a little off for me.

Thanks
9/8/2008 10:36 PM
Actually, I'm the owner of the Fat Lever lead team and I admit that I was a bit surprised to see my team do so well on the boards. I was just waiting a bit because 4 games is a bit of a small sample to evaluate that but Alonzo Mourning has been stellar for me so far out rebounding guys like Russels...

However, during this morning's game (I live in Europe so I guess it was last night's game for you), my team was out rebounded by 17 by a stronger rebounding team so this is already better and the previous games might just have been a random artefact (not that is makes me happy but it make more sense).
9/9/2008 11:50 AM
tianyi7886:

1. Just added a KB article to explain how we do normalization for shooting percentages (#726).

2. Rebounding did not change. Here is an explanation from the KB article about how the SimEngine works (#582). Here is the relevant quote:

Every missed field goal attempt in a normal possession is rebounded. Rebounding looks at the real-life offensive and defensive rebounding percentages of all ten players on the court, though the shooter and his defender generally have less of a chance, especially in the case of a three-point attempt. We look at each one-on-one matchup for this situation (shooting team is still considered offense) to determine if one player has a better than average advantage over his opponent. These players will get a boost to their percentages, while their opponents will see their percentages drop. We then look at all ten modified percentages. The chance that an individual player has of getting the rebound is relative to how his percentage compares.
9/11/2008 9:47 AM
"It is important to note that the player's actual shooting percentage, as opposed to his normalized shooting percentage, still accounts for more than half of the end result. This is reflected in the # numbers. "

Isn't the # numbers the normalized numbers?
9/11/2008 9:52 AM
The # number is the combination of the normalized number and the actual. That way it closely represents how the SimEngine works.
9/11/2008 10:28 AM
What kind(s) of possessions are considered "not normal"?
9/11/2008 10:37 AM
I think steals that lead to layups/dunks aren't normal, those in the last minute of the game, and all of the ones that lead directly to trtllvr losses.
9/11/2008 10:40 AM
Essentially time expiration is the only possession where a missed shot does not end in a rebound. But free throw attempts are handled differently, since the odds of a rebound on a FT really depend significantly on where you're lined up for the shot.
9/11/2008 11:43 AM
Thanks Seble.
9/11/2008 11:49 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.