dead horses are cool. Topic

58 games into an open league season and I'm third in defensive fg%. Awesome, go me, etc...

My def fg% is 49.6%. Number one's is 48.8%. 20 out of the 24 teams have def fg% of 50% or more. Our league's #1 would rank dead last when compared to the NBA last season (#1 was .431, #30 was .483).

So yeah, just thought that dead horse had had too much of a break.
11/17/2009 7:11 PM
hey but at least you pay more for it which discourages people from focusing on it too much which, since it doesnt work all that well, is probably for the best

(of course I mean the def ratings but the same could be said of the sim in general)
11/17/2009 7:25 PM
absolutely disgusting.

(the aforementioned stats and the fact that i continue to pump money into this thang)
11/17/2009 8:01 PM
I'm in the same OL as you, but I have a "random-osity" issue to pick on..... The Bishop and the "A" Rod teams are as close to identical proto-by-the-cookbook-cookies as you can get... they only have a slightly different Ray Allen, 50 def to 58 def... What stunned me was that they are on polar opposite ends of the def fg% stats for the league.... One of the twin-cookies are the league-best 48.8% team (go figure)... the other is the 3rd-worst..... just seems so far out of whack for basically the exact same squads......
11/17/2009 8:57 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
11/17/2009 9:06 PM
and the rebounds aint exactly kosher either (and that's the second game of this series where that's been the case)

((pps - and he took more FTAs though I had less PFs - where's his big FTA magnet?? is it McGrady? Howard? oh wait those are my guys))
11/17/2009 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RamBeast on 11/17/2009I'm in the same OL as you, but I have a "random-osity" issue to pick on..... The Bishop and the "A" Rod teams are as close to identical proto-by-the-cookbook-cookies as you can get... they only have a slightly different Ray Allen, 50 def to 58 def... What stunned me was that they are on polar opposite ends of the def fg% stats for the league.... One of the twin-cookies are the league-best 48.8% team (go figure)... the other is the 3rd-worst..... just seems so far out of whack for basically the exact same squads......

Yeah, Moses-Rodman (who were both great defenders, not trying to take away from them) - peja-jesus-nash... now, that's a fearsome defensive team!! Not only are the d ratings of the back 3 average to below average, the team has virtually no blocked shots.
11/17/2009 9:31 PM
You gotta compare the entire team, not just the starters. My 6th man is a second Rodman, with a defensive rating of 96. There are times I'm playing a Rodman/Rodman/Moses front court. 96 / 96 / 80.

His 6th man is a very young Steve Nash, with a 26 defensive rating.

Block shots seem overpriced in the sim engine, so I avoid them. Steals are better, but any decent player with higher steal numbers has their price tag jacked. Compare Nash in cost to Stockton for an example.
11/17/2009 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tnbishop on 11/17/2009You gotta compare the entire team, not just the starters. My 6th man is a second Rodman, with a defensive rating of 96. There are times I'm playing a Rodman/Rodman/Moses front court. 96 / 96 / 80.

His 6th man is a very young Steve Nash, with a 26 defensive rating.

Block shots seem overpriced in the sim engine, so I avoid them. Steals are better, but any decent player with higher steal numbers has their price tag jacked. Compare Nash in cost to Stockton for an example.

you still have no business leading the league in def fg%, but that wasn't what this thread was about. It's the gross distance between the sim and RL when it comes to defense, where #1 in the sim would be #31 IRL.
11/18/2009 1:23 AM
Why not?

I have 6 players that eat most my minutes. Everyone else has played <350 minutes.

Moses - 80
Peja - 47
Rodman - 96
Allen - 58
Nash - 45
Rodman - 96

You are 3rd in this metric. Your top 6 guys in terms of minutes:

Wilt - 83
Jamison - 60
Barkley - 63
Billups - 80
Barry - 60
Legler - 40

This looks pretty comparable. Factoring in minutes played, your top 6 rotation guys score an average of 65.0, whereas my top 6 score 68.6.

Maybe we're both running hot right now..

11/18/2009 4:21 AM
not even talking about comparing mine and yours (your team is irrelevant to the thread topic), but since you brought it up - you have almost zero shot blocking, and you have a three-headed monster of poor defense. Your def fg% is actually where I would expect it - it's just almost everyone else's that is fubar.

You may think blocks are overpriced in the sim, but they (or they used to) play a significant role in opp. fg%. In fact, I'd say it significantly trumps def rating. Def rating is almost meaningless.
11/18/2009 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tnbishop on 11/18/2009Why not?

I have 6 players that eat most my minutes. Everyone else has played <350 minutes.

Moses - 80
Peja - 47
Rodman - 96
Allen - 58
Nash - 45
Rodman - 96

You are 3rd in this metric. Your top 6 guys in terms of minutes:

Wilt - 83
Jamison - 60
Barkley - 63
Billups - 80
Barry - 60
Legler - 40

This looks pretty comparable. Factoring in minutes played, your top 6 rotation guys score an average of 65.0, whereas my top 6 score 68.6.

Maybe we're both running hot right now..

You come up with that team composition all by yourself, Bishop?

Don't know about the rest of the guys, but I'm thoroughly impressed. Never seen one like it.
11/18/2009 4:33 PM
he has 2 finals, 1 'ship and a team that has currently the 2nd best record in the league in only 4 tries. Don't question his knowledge, shap.
11/18/2009 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ashamael on 11/18/2009he has 2 finals, 1 'ship and a team that has currently the 2nd best record in the league in only 4 tries. Don't question his knowledge, shap.

Sorry, man. I will question anyone who rolls w/the Rodman, Moses, Peja, Ray, and Nashty combo. Don't respect it. Never will.
11/18/2009 5:23 PM
I saw a few teams like it...

Unoriginal Bastard I, Unoriginal Bastard II, Unoriginal Bastard III, Unoriginal Bastard IV, and Unoriginal Bastard V.

After winning those titles, I transferred $65 worth of my credits to my regular account for use on all the progressive leagues I'm in. Along the way, I got some unexpected fun out of beating people that it annoyed.
11/18/2009 5:34 PM
123 Next ▸
dead horses are cool. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.