hey wis made a mistake and admitted it: Topic

Quote: Originally posted by norbert on 1/15/2010There was some concern about the Pass Ratings for the 2009 Team Defense and upon further review, the ratings were being calculated from incorrect stats. This has been fixed and it affects the Pass Ratings for both Team Defense and O-Lines.I have sent a site mail to any user with teams using these team units, but if I have missed anyone, you should send your team back to the draft center. If you can not do this through your Team Center, then send in a support ticket to have it sent back.Thanks.

So why haven't they admitted they made two critical mistakes with the 08-09 players and gone back and fixed them?

Oh, I forgot, we don't have anybody that cares.

(for reference, the critical mistakes are:

position effectiveness, which ncmusician7 or someone showed clearly how they were one position off

skewed defense ratings: Troy Murphy was a 96 (on indiana), Zac Randolph a 93 (on lac), while Chauncey Billups was a 50 (on denver). They clearly made a mistake with their formula evidenced by the very thing they told us they use to calculate defense (defensive rating, how the team's defense was, defensive rebounding). That last should have zero to do with how a player guards another player and affects their fg%, but it does for some reason, and both Murphy and Randolph (among others) have extremely high defense ratings on teams that played very poor defense (while consequently playing average and below average defense if you watched them at all in 08-09), while Billups played good defense (changed the entire team's mental approach to defense, actually) on a team that played good defense, but didn't get many defensive boards because he's a 6'3" point guard who has never been big on the boards.

Of course, if we get a response, it will just be this post deleted, a smart-*** response at the expense of me or another community member, or some whiny little excuse like "we don't have time".

The NFL sim, which is arguably worse than this one and has less participation, had two major errors when it was released and has already had both fixed. In less than a week.

Seble said, "make threads and tell us what's wrong."

We did.

This was in May 2009.

It's January 2010.

Just thought I'd share.
1/15/2010 5:39 PM
a couple thoughts - I think it was tracyr who so succinctly showed using % distro by position that it was time to call shenanigans

also wasnt it seble himself who created a thread for us to give feedback? I think he should have titled it the 'wish in one hand thread'
1/15/2010 6:54 PM
I think it was tracyr now that I think about it some more... good call.

Yeah, it was seble. lol.
1/16/2010 4:34 PM
A shame because I remember this SIM being so much fun 1 1/2-2 yrs ago.
1/16/2010 6:27 PM
yeah, i went back a few years and positions are definitely off going backwards - guys who started 70 games at center are not 100 pct at center - ran into some of those recently

no idea why they refused to go back over those - i can't imagine it would take that long
1/16/2010 6:33 PM
damn - at first glance, i thought something was done to fix troy the tool's 08-09 season. i actually went to the draft center, searched for murph, and frowned when i saw his defense was still at 96.

ash - good work at bringing this injustice back to the forefront. the 08-09 rankings are a travesty and they illustrate the neglect that WIS is shamelessly placing on the the NBA version of this SIM.

anytime troy murphy's defensive ranking is above any season of Mutumbo, Rodman, Artest, et all...well, it is just gross and absurd.

thanks for investigating the flaws, seble. god knows doing your job isn't that important.
1/16/2010 8:57 PM
are you saying white guys can't play defense?
1/16/2010 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tracyr on 1/16/2010are you saying white guys can't play defense?

TRACY'S ON FIIIIRE.
1/16/2010 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 1/15/2010
Quote: Originally posted by norbert on 1/15/2010
There was some concern about the Pass Ratings for the 2009 Team Defense and upon further review, the ratings were being calculated from incorrect stats. This has been fixed and it affects the Pass Ratings for both Team Defense and O-Lines.

I have sent a site mail to any user with teams using these team units, but if I have missed anyone, you should send your team back to the draft center. If you can not do this through your Team Center, then send in a support ticket to have it sent back.

Thanks.

So why haven't they admitted they made two critical mistakes with the 08-09 players and gone back and fixed them?

Oh, I forgot, we don't have anybody that cares.

(for reference, the critical mistakes are:

position effectiveness, which ncmusician7 or someone showed clearly how they were one position off

skewed defense ratings: Troy Murphy was a 96 (on indiana), Zac Randolph a 93 (on lac), while Chauncey Billups was a 50 (on denver). They clearly made a mistake with their formula evidenced by the very thing they told us they use to calculate defense (defensive rating, how the team's defense was, defensive rebounding). That last should have zero to do with how a player guards another player and affects their fg%, but it does for some reason, and both Murphy and Randolph (among others) have extremely high defense ratings on teams that played very poor defense (while consequently playing average and below average defense if you watched them at all in 08-09), while Billups played good defense (changed the entire team's mental approach to defense, actually) on a team that played good defense, but didn't get many defensive boards because he's a 6'3" point guard who has never been big on the boards.

Of course, if we get a response, it will just be this post deleted, a smart-*** response at the expense of me or another community member, or some whiny little excuse like "we don't have time".

The NFL sim, which is arguably worse than this one and has less participation, had two major errors when it was released and has already had both fixed. In less than a week.

Seble said, "make threads and tell us what's wrong."

We did.

This was in May 2009.

It's January 2010.

Just thought I'd share
See, this is what they have to do to gain interest in the DEADFL Sim.
1/17/2010 9:31 AM
Do more people play the NFLsim than the NBAsim? Only WIS knows the true answer but...

In the NFL sim discussion forum the 2nd thread is titled "Why is the NFL sim dying?" or something like that..

I find it hard to believe the NFL sim currently generates more revenue than the NBA sim based on that.

because wasn't that their logic when it was mentioned the nba sim doesn't generate as much revenue as mlb, hardball dynasty and others therefore they need to look after those games more?

wtf
1/18/2010 8:20 AM
A year or 2 ago, Norbert told me that the NFL sim was the lowest grossing sim out there, only brought in about 2% of the revenue. Given how popular American football is, that's rather pathetic if you ask me.
1/18/2010 8:52 AM
look we all know seble is a liar - I've caught him at it repeatedly - so you need to take statements like 'we arent paying attention to the NBA sim because it isnt very popular' with a shaker of salt
1/18/2010 9:14 AM
I think they have the NBA sim on auto pilot right now essentially.....seble is prepping for a big update in HD and "we're" in beta testing now.

I'm with monkee though, if you don't have enough programmers to handle the games out there, you have a combination of too few employees (cheapness) or too many games...ironically enough this was something I warned WIS/everyone about back 5-6 years ago, don't bite off more than you can chew.
1/18/2010 9:41 AM
hey wis made a mistake and admitted it: Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.