New 1901 Prog Lg--Odd Fellows Progressive (DEAD) Topic

Theme
16 team progressive starting in 1901 and progressing through the odd years (1901, 03, 05, etc).  Dspahlinger and I will co-commish it.   Upon sign-up, choose one of the original 16 MLB franchises.  Your team name should reflect your chosen city/mascot.  Once full, we will have a 16 round draft (last rd 2 players/pick) to choose players.  There aren't enough players to field a 25 man roster, so the remaining 8 spots will be made up of 200k's and replaced by AAA (6/2).  Down the road, when there are enough players for 18/team, 19/team etc.....we will continue to bump up the roster until we reach the full 25 players/team level. 


The Draft
The initial draft order will be determined at random.  It will be what I call modified serpentine (1-16, 16-1, 16-1, 1-16).  As noted above, the last round will be 2 players per pick. 

All subsequent drafts will be worst to first all rounds based on standings at the transaction deadline.  The first round will also have a lottery for the 4 worst records (including ties)  with a 40 win floor required to be included.  This can be waived in the first year that  a new owner takes over a hapless team.  Draft picks may be traded up to one draft ahead of next scheduled draft.

Remember, we are progressing through odd years only--therefore players will turn over twice as fast.  It should make for more "meaty" player pools going forward.


League Rules
1.   No salary cap.  Cap will be set high enough to not be a factor.
2.   No clones, no DH, no WW.  Injuries turned ON and there will be a transaction deadline.  Trades allowed (max # of vetoes required).  AAA allowed 6/2.  A decision will be made on quality prior to start of league.
3.   Ballpark must be the one your team called home.  As teams changed parks in real life, so shall you.
4.   No minimum/maximum # of keepers required.  Keep as many/few as you wish.
5.   DL:  Any player not WIS eligible may be placed on the DL until he is again eligible.  You may have more than one on the DL at a time.
6.   League Format will be Alternate Format E (4/4/4/4--4 playoff teams).  Balanced schedule and interleague play.


League Alignment (Bold = Taken)
NL East = Dodgers, Phillies, Giants, Braves
NL West = Cards, Cubs, Reds, Pirates
AL East = Yanks, Red Sox, Senators, A's 
AL West = Indians, Tigers, Browns, White Sox

Teams are first come/first serve.
7/30/2010 10:07 AM (edited)
Owner Sign-Up

1.   neabaseball (Cardinals)
2.   dspahlinger (Dodgers)
3.  beirnej1 (Browns)
4.   nin311ff (Reds)
5.   seriusblack (Yanks)
6.   jayjelinek (Indians)
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
7/30/2010 10:06 AM (edited)
I'll play - Browns
7/23/2010 12:46 PM
Thanks beirnej1-this must be a half-dozen leagues we are in together
7/23/2010 1:26 PM
Glad to have you beirnej1
7/23/2010 1:54 PM
I have researched this, with 16 teams there won't be enough players to draft 25 man teams until the 1950's, you'll have a problem when guys start hoarding pitchers cause they're such a premium. You'll get to 23 players per team in the 20's but the last round or two is going to be the bottom of the barrell guys, in other words worthless. You'll be better off with 2 divisions of 6 teams. I know cause I play in a league with 16 teams currently in the 20's, and to be honest it really sucks, definetly the worst progressive out of the seven I play in.

Just my 2 cents. GL 2 U
7/26/2010 6:45 AM
If you read my post it states that there will only be 17 players per team but there will be about 5500 PA/team and 1375 IP/team.....with AAA subsidizing the small PA/IP shortfall we'll be fine.
7/26/2010 12:06 PM
some teams will have 1700 IP which will leave others with 1000 IP
some teams will have 6500 PA which will leave others with 4500 PA
200k & rookies will be dogged from the get go
don't mean to burst your progressive bubble but you'll see
if this ever gets off the ground
7/26/2010 5:58 PM
Posted by bigschnozz on 7/26/2010 5:58:00 PM (view original):
some teams will have 1700 IP which will leave others with 1000 IP
some teams will have 6500 PA which will leave others with 4500 PA
200k & rookies will be dogged from the get go
don't mean to burst your progressive bubble but you'll see
if this ever gets off the ground
No offense but I've been in WIS and running leagues for about 8 years......I've probably ran more progressive leagues than you've been in.  Stamina and scarcity of PA's/IP's are part of the strategy.
7/27/2010 1:36 PM
I will sign on and pick the Yankees. I'm assuming the Yankees in 1901 are the Baltimore Orioles and play in Oriole Park? then in 1903 they become the highlanders? anyways i'm in
7/27/2010 2:09 PM
Posted by seriusblack on 7/27/2010 2:09:00 PM (view original):
I will sign on and pick the Yankees. I'm assuming the Yankees in 1901 are the Baltimore Orioles and play in Oriole Park? then in 1903 they become the highlanders? anyways i'm in
That's correct....I meant to state that in the rules but forgot.  Glad to have you serius.
7/27/2010 2:22 PM
I'll give this a go with the Indians.
7/30/2010 8:25 AM
Sounds good......glad to have you.
7/30/2010 10:05 AM
Going to pull this one off the shelf.  Thanks guys for your interest.  I'm going to see if I can come up with something else that will appeal to a broader audience.
8/5/2010 11:41 AM
New 1901 Prog Lg--Odd Fellows Progressive (DEAD) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.