When to ignore Regular season stats? Topic

I have a team that is going to make the playoffs and I have  1915 Ed Walsh (who was supposed to be share Closer A duties), but he was horrid in the bullpen ending the season with a 4.21 ERA, but he was much worst than those numbers indicate.

My opponent plays at Fulton Stadium which is a HR friendly park.  Do you all ignore the regular season stats in the playoffs or is that an indicator to future performance? I am thinking about starting him, but I am a little gun shy at this point. (Walsh ended the season as a Setup B with a pull setting of 5 he was that bad).

9/15/2010 10:57 AM
Pay attention to the regular stats. You probably got a defective model.
9/15/2010 4:05 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
FWIW, I love him...use him all the time in OLs.  Because of his small # of IP, I expect he's very susceptible to performance variation... a couple of bad outings and there's no way his stats can recover.

In an OL that just finished (Dodger Stadium) he pitched 31.2 IP.  1.71 ERA, .203 OAV, 1.04 WHIP, 2.56 BB/9.  I'll take it.
9/15/2010 7:05 PM
Ignore the regular season stats.
9/15/2010 7:07 PM
Ignore Boogerlips
9/15/2010 8:36 PM
Ignore truemen.  The whole "defective model" theory - one held by a few players who insist that the game randomly "tweaks" players "up or down" after you draft them and before the league starts - has been repeatedly denied by multiple WiS administrations.  Looking at performances over enough samples for the same player without significant fatigue issues typically shows a fairly reasonable distribution of final statistics which doesn't indicate "tweaking" at all.  Walsh '15 is Walsh '15, and he's a pretty good pitcher at $80 million, particularly in a big +HR park like AFC.  If you think you can go the rest of the playoffs without him I wouldn't hesitate to start him.
9/16/2010 3:07 PM
The handbook says that when in discussion with someone who uses superior logic either (1) grudgingly agree and change the subject or (2) keep pressing the illogical point till they give up or (3) ignore the logic of the arguement and use stress feelings.

So in response to dahsdebaters' point, yeah he might have a point, but if you start Walsh and he gets bombed you are going to feel bad cause you did not listen to your heart. Oh and

continue to ignore boogerlips.
9/16/2010 4:51 PM
LOL you guys are nuts

Since I have a blistering .143 playoff winning percentage I need to not ignore anyone at this point.

I will start Walsh at Fulton County and see what happens. I will report back.

I like it here - you guys make me laugh
9/16/2010 5:31 PM

Started Mr. Walsh at AFC and here is his line:  0.1 IP 3H 4R 4ER 1BB 1SO 22PC 108 ERA. He took the loss.

9/19/2010 2:04 PM
Refer to the WIS HOF CHEAT CODES oops you're only a rookie. nevermind
9/19/2010 5:10 PM
Yep you got one of them defective one's.  Hopefully that did not cost you to lose the playoffs. If it did, then boogerlips should give you one of his free teams.
9/20/2010 11:44 AM
Well. late (as usual) for the discussion...I use '15 walsh frequently, and ususally to good results, but only in a -HR park. You neglected to point out his start would be in a +HR park, which, I am certain, would have changed those advising you to let him start.
10/18/2010 2:09 PM
When to ignore Regular season stats? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.