NEW 1901 w/ surprise Progessive League 1/16 Topic

Okay so this is my first attempt at starting a theme league. I figured I would start a progressive league to see  how it goes. Why not start in 1901 and play around in the dead ball era. Some Ty Cobb and Cy Young action to make everyone happy. Yes I know people here hate the dead ball pitchers, as do I, but they don't hurt anyone if they pitch in their era against each other. I do not know how long this will last, but I'll keep it going as long as people are interested. So let's start with the basic shall we?

Year: 1901
Salary Cap: $130 Mil (I picked this # because IDK how it would be effected once I add the players discussed below)
Teams: 16 (May expand in the future, keeping it simple for now)
League Format: Alternate WIS Format E (16 Teams, 4 in each Division, 4 Playoff Teams, 162 Games)
Stadiums: You will use your teams home field.
AAA: 6 positional - 2 pitchers (Average)
Trades: ALLOWED
NO CLONES, DH, WW

Okay so 1901 progessive league is nice and boring right? In order for people to join I need to spice it up a little bit right? Well every season I will pick some players from a different decade that will be included in this season. Maybe they will be bad maybe they will be awesome. Maybe they are all gold glovers, who knows? This year we will be having two drafts. The first draft is to pick our two SPECIAL players. After that we will draft the 1901 players and add them to our rosters.

Who are this years' special players? Well each team will get one power hitter from the 1990s and one strikeout pitcher from the 2000s. I have already gone through and selected the 16 hitters and 16 pitchers. The first draft will be a serpentine. Round 1 we wil select the hitters and round 2 we will select the pitchers. This way whoever gets 16th pick for hitter, they get 1st pick for pitcher. The first draft is known as the Special Draft. The special draft is only two rounds long of course. Then we will have the 1901 draft after that. The 1901 draft will be serpentine as well and wil ljust be the reverse order from the Special Draft. So whoever picks 1st in the Special Draft picks 16th in the 1901 Draft. I will randomize the draft order once everyone is signed up.  Also, hitters will be in your starting lineup and your pitchers will be in your starting rotation. Wow, now that I am done dumming that down...

When you sign up pick whichever franchise you wish, just remember you will get their stadium. I know they say don't pick first in your own theme league, but I want the New York Giants because I am a hardcore Giants fan.

American League
Baltimore Orioles (Oriole Park IV)
     No Manager
Boston Americans (Huntington Ave Baseball Grounds)
     No Manager
Chicago White Stockings (South Side Park III)
     No Manager
Cleveland Blues (League Park I)
     No Manager
Detroit Tigers (Bennett Park)
     No Manager
Milwaukee Brewers (Llyod Street Grounds)
     No Manager
Philadelphia Athletics (Columbia Park)
     No Manager
Washington Senators (Americans League Park I)
     No Manager

National League
Boston Beaneaters (South End Grounds III)
     No Manager
Brooklyn Suprbas (Washington Park III)
     No Manager
Chicago Orphans (Westside Grounds)
     No Manager
Cincinnati Reds (League Park II)
     No Manager
New York Giants (Polo Grounds)
     caseyglee
Philadelphia Phillies (Baker Bowl)
     No Manager
Pittsburgh Pirates (Exposition Park III)
     No Manager
St. Louis Cardinals (Robison Field)
     No Manager

1990s Sluggers
1) 1998 Mark McGwire
2) 1997 Larry Walker
3) 1993 Barry Bonds
4) 1995 Albert Belle
5) 1997 Ken Griffey Jr.
6) 1996 Brady Anderson
7) 1997 Mike Piazza
8) 1996 Ken Caminiti
9) 1999 Rafael Palmeiro
10) 1998 Sammy Sosa
11) 1999 Chipper Jones
12) 1998 Alex Rodriguez
13) 1998 Vinny Castilla
14) 1996 Gary Sheffield
15) 1999 Shawn Green
16) 1999 Manny Ramirez

2000s Strikeout Pitchers
1) 2001 Randy Johnson
2) 2000 Pedro Martinez
3) 2003 Kerry Wood
4) 2008 Tim Lincecum
5) 2004 Johan Santana
6) 2002 Curt Schilling
7) 2004 Ben Sheets
8) 2004 Jason Schmidt
9) 2003 Mark Prior
10) 2009 Justin Verlander
11) 2009 Javier Vazquez
12) 2009 Zack Greinke
13) 2007 Jake Peavy
14) 2009 Jon Lester
15) 2004 Roger Clemens
16) 2007 Scott Kazmir
4/2/2012 1:44 AM (edited)
BUMPIN

If you guys think this a bad idea or aren't interested, feedback would always be helpful. Still a rookie around here trying to learn the ropes.
3/29/2012 11:39 PM
Good idea. Maybe start your special draft players in their rookie seasons and let them progress thru their career. Go with what ur doin and see what happens.   
3/30/2012 10:29 PM
Posted by snydpie on 3/30/2012 10:29:00 PM (view original):
Good idea. Maybe start your special draft players in their rookie seasons and let them progress thru their career. Go with what ur doin and see what happens.   
I like it better with different special players each season. Perhaps the WS winner gets to pick next season's special players (must be from a different decade than season 1) ? Draw back to that would be you couldn't do the draft until after the WS is concluded so maybe that doesn't work.
3/31/2012 2:14 PM
Yea, I'm going to do different special players each year. Maybe do a poll towards the end of each year, or just continue to surprise everyone haha. That is if anyone wants to join. I'll keep this up and check every now and then to see if anyone wants to join up.
4/1/2012 9:48 AM
I  think Above Average AAA is a bad idea.   Even "average" AAA in 1901 will do better than many typical players.   I would recommend using below average.
4/1/2012 11:00 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/1/2012 11:00:00 AM (view original):
I  think Above Average AAA is a bad idea.   Even "average" AAA in 1901 will do better than many typical players.   I would recommend using below average.
Noted. I will change it to Average. I want AAA to have a little more impact than usual because they can be the unexpected in a league where everyone else you know how they are going to perform.
4/2/2012 1:44 AM
NEW 1901 w/ surprise Progessive League 1/16 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.