Mile High rated higher than Coors ? ? Topic

Why is Mile High rated high than Coors (143-137?) The numbers for S, D, T, HR L/R  look higher and tally higher for Coors. What am I missing?
Thanks
12/24/2013 12:48 AM
relative to the rest of the league during the designated years, maybe? Normailization would be my guess.
12/24/2013 1:19 AM
Posted by bebechacha on 12/24/2013 12:48:00 AM (view original):
Why is Mile High rated high than Coors (143-137?) The numbers for S, D, T, HR L/R  look higher and tally higher for Coors. What am I missing?
Thanks
Every ball-park on earth, is dirt, obviously, & the dirt has a
middleman, somewhere in it's history... -Follow me on this
thought, for a brief moment...

Dang near every piece of dirt on earth, has had a broker.
or real estate agent... What sells generally, is the idea of
"Location, location, location"... The buyer is stuck with a
location, so he chooses the location, -&- the middlemen
get their commissions...

The geography of the Denver Metro area explains all of
the slight variances in the numbers... The original MILE
HIGH STADIUM used to be where the parking lot is, -for
the MILE HIGH STADIUM that exists today... Not much of
a difference concerning location... Pretty much southwest
Denver, by a few miles...

However, @ a slightly different elevation, northwest of the
Denver Metro area, is where they built Coors Field...

How does this apply to Wi$ ???... It's like this --->>>

There are other stadiums used in Hardball Dynasty, as an
example... Santa Fe, New Mexico is also a capital city, -&,
is @ a higher elevation than Denver, Colorado... It's a very
interesting study of numbers, as to how that stadium is also
rated... Check it out, sometime...

The new Mile High had to wait to be built, until Coors Field
was finished... Once the Rockies moved up-town, the work
had begun to tear apart Mile High's parking lot...

I can find no other logical explanation for the differences in
the numbers, between the 2 stadiums... It's history, it is dirt,
& it is "Location, location, location"...

12/24/2013 10:50 AM
The numbers for hits, doubles, triples and home runs are rounded.
12/25/2013 5:20 PM
The singles through HR for Coors add up to 19 while they only add up to 11 for Mile High, 17% higher. But Mile High has a rating of 143 . . . 6 points higher than Coors' 137

Aside from the dirt and humidors of reality, is the way they perform in WIS noticeably different? Maybe the fellow who runs "Long Ball at Coors" will do some comparison leagues, "Long Ball at Mile High."

Thanks for your replies.
12/27/2013 1:35 AM
That should have been 77% higher - not 17.
12/27/2013 1:18 PM
That should have been 77% higher - not 17.
12/27/2013 1:18 PM
Posted by bebechacha on 12/27/2013 1:35:00 AM (view original):
The singles through HR for Coors add up to 19 while they only add up to 11 for Mile High, 17% higher. But Mile High has a rating of 143 . . . 6 points higher than Coors' 137

Aside from the dirt and humidors of reality, is the way they perform in WIS noticeably different? Maybe the fellow who runs "Long Ball at Coors" will do some comparison leagues, "Long Ball at Mile High."

Thanks for your replies.
adding the numbers up is not close to how they arrive at the park factor number.

the +/- for events have to do with how likely each of those things is to happen given the historical data of those events in that park.   the 1b number is in reference to hits in general, not just singles.  the 2b, 3b, and HR numbers tell how much more likely those hits are to be 2b, 3b, or HRs.  the park factor number has to do with runs scored compared to league average.

so for Coors vs Mile High--
Both are +3 for hits, meaning (obviously) there are more hits there than most other places. as someone else said, this is rounded.  so each number could be anywhere from 2.51 to 3.49.  the 2b, 3b, and HR numbers show that hits at Coors are more likely to be extra base hits than at Mile High, but that one should expect more triples at Mile High than Coors.   park factor tells us that more runs were scored at Mile High than at Coors (likely meaning that the +3 for hits is higher at Mile High than Coors).

i would imagine that Mile High's park factor is in no small way influenced by the fact that the Rockies were an expansion team in their first 2 years of existence (when they played there) and the Rocks were troting out some AA quality arms during those seasons.  and not the AA on the way to the show type arms.  combine that with the thin air and the extremely small (in comparison to other stadia) sample size and you pretty much have a perfect recipe for the best hitters environment of all time.

as for how they play in WiS - i would imagine that they would play similar on the number of hits allowed (slightly higher at Mile High), with more 2bs and HR at Coors.  both would be very tough on a pitching staff in terms of number of innings required.
12/27/2013 1:45 PM
Fascinating and thorough explanation loudawg10 - This gives me a whole new way to look at this game.

How would you explain Baker Bowl which has a "0" 1B (overall hits) yet looks like a highly productive hitter's ballpark. By your previous definition it appears to be mostly an extra bases ball park, especially doubles?

Thanks

12/30/2013 4:48 AM
Park factors are just like the + numbers for players in that they compare runs scored at that park to league averages while the park was in existence (I believe), with 1.00 being neutral or average (like 100 for a + stat).  As far as I can tell though, park factor has absolutely no influence on SIM gameplay.  Only the individual hit rates are used in the at-bat calculations, per the old Powerpoint presentation.
12/31/2013 12:19 AM
my explanation for Baker Bowl would be that, while the overall number of hits modifier is rounded to 0, the hits that occur there are far more likely to be extra base hits than they are at other places (basically what you said).  

if you haven't seen the powerpoint that skunk references, it really helps to understand the underlying structure of the sim (specifically the event tree) and would be well worth the time to find it.
1/2/2014 3:47 PM
1/2/2014 5:18 PM
Thank you one and all for the education. It continues . . . .

Happy New Year

1/4/2014 2:26 AM
Mile High rated higher than Coors ? ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.