The No Whining Progressive, Early Edition (NWPEE) is a new 16-team double-season progressive. Building off many of the constructs used in the original (and still-running) No Whining Progressive, the NWPEE will have a number of additional twists that should make for a highly competitive league.
I have posted a complete set of league rules here:
www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx
I highly recommend that everyone read the rules prior to signing up, but here is a synopsis:
-- 16 teams
-- Inaugural draft will draw from the 1885/1950 seasons, and we will progress from there
-- Each season the draft order will be generated from a random, equally-weighted lottery in which each team has a 1/16 chance of drawing the #1 pick. W-L record will play no role in determining the draft order. Hence there is no advantage to tanking.
-- This is a contract-based progressive in which each team is limited to 75 contract points for each season. 1 contract point = 1 season that you can keep the player. 2 points means you can keep him for 2 seasons, etc. Once a contract is up, a player becomes a free agent and will be included in the next season's draft. Contracts may not extended. Seasons on IR do count against your contract. 75 is obviously an arbitrary number; I played around with several different scenarios, and I like the way 75 seems to work, but if for any reason it turns out to be untenable we will consider raising/lowering it as needed.
-- No AAA. We shouldn't need AAA to fill 16 teams from 2 seasons worth of players. I have selected 8 players from the WIS database who can be used by any owner as part of the 25 man roster if you think you will be short of PA or IP in any season (see the above link for a list of these players, who are obviously not exclusive).
-- No trade vetoes. I find the whole concept of trade vetoes in progressives to be silly and petty. The league rules do allow for an owner to object to a trade if he thinks it is so lopsided as to be damaging to the league's integrity, but it puts the onus on the objecting owner to raise the issue, make his case, and convince enough other owners to override the trade. The original NWP uses this rule and it has never once been invoked in 27 seasons.
-- Most other stuff is pretty straightforward. Don't be scared off by the length of the constitution; I just believe in being thorough. Everything in there is a result of issues that I have seen cause dispute in other leagues I have been a part of.
Come on in and give this a try. Experienced prog owners are welcome. Owners who have been on WIS for a while but who are new to progs are also welcome, but please do read the rules thoroughly and ask any questions before joining. Owners who are brand new to WIS...well, I certainly won't turn you away, but this might not be the best place for you to get your feet wet.
12/24/2014 9:16 AM (edited)