Can you win with Westbrook? Topic

I have him on a triple era progressive league (heading into 74-75/94-95/14-15). My team is solid, but there are several really good teams in my division. I don't think I need him at all in this upcoming season, but I see a path to playing time for him the following season. My original plan when I acquired him was to use him as a 6th man off the bench to basically cover any usage/reb%/ast% issues that the bench players might have. My lineup would be something like this in x5-x6:

PG Chris Paul
SG CJ McCullom
SF Al Horford (at 96%)
PF Mason Plumlee
C Anthony Davis

That leaves me Westbrook, Steven Adams, Harrison Barnes, and Allan Houston to cover the backup minutes. Danny Green is available but not so good eFG% wise and Pat Ewing has limited minutes and an even worse eFG%. Steph is in my division and if I remember correctly this is his golden year, so no expectations of winning a title or anything; just thinking about using this season as an experiment to see what one can do with one of Westbrrok's more useful eFG% seasons. I can have a crazy good state farm type lineup of ast% (just over 100) if I start him over CJ or I can use him off the bench to address some of the bench weaknesses. In the big scheme of things it probably doesn't matter as there are better teams in my division, but to me that makes this the perfect time to see if something unexpected happens. This team has a couple better years after this one when AD is peaking, so it's as good of a time as any to play around and see what happens.

Has anyone been successful in a progressive with Westbrook?
10/15/2019 4:57 PM
20ks just won the 11-12 season of the ATBA with a starting lineup of Westbrook, Paul Pierce, Luol Deng, Kevin Love & Greg Monroe beating some very good teams on the way so it's definitely possible.

He wasn't quite as much of a usage drain and triple double threat as he is in some of his more recent seasons, but seeing 20ks' success is starting to make me reconsider whether Westbrook can work out in progressives and/or other leagues.
11/10/2019 4:25 PM
I think 11-12 or 12-13 are your best bets, surrounded by elite shooting, defense and rebounding. Not ideal conditions though.
11/21/2019 10:52 PM
Unfortunately we're in 14-15 (in a triple era league)...

So far the team is 8-4 in a really tough division loaded with elite players.

Starting lineup is Chris Paul, Danny Green, Al Horford, Patrick Ewing, and Anthony Davis. Westbrook covers both PG and most of the SG backup minutes, Mason Plumlee is the backup SF, and Brook Lopez is covering the big man backup role. I was playing Westbrook only as backup PG, but I gave him more minutes because I think I need the additional rebounding he provides off the bench. Right now averaging only 22 minutes with 15.2 PPG, 5.2 RPG, and 6.7 APG with only 2.8 TOPG. Small sample size, but his FG% and 3P% are both slightly higher than real life...some of that is probably due to the relatively high ast% of the team.

I'm pretty pleased with Westbrook so far. I'm going to need to rely on him more in future years as Paul's minutes decline, but this is giving me some hope that he can contribute to a championship contender in a couple years.
11/27/2019 8:38 PM
Update:

Team is 34-12; tied for 2nd in the division. Westbrook is currently leading the 6th man race.

25 MPG, 16.8 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 7.6 APG, 3.2 TOPG. Stats sound good; shooting percentages aren't very good but slightly better than actual.
12/14/2019 4:35 PM
Season is over. Team went 63-19 and is the 3rd seed in the conference. Westbrook won 6th man of the year and he was one of 4 players on the team in the top 25 for MVP voting. I think that last part is important as I don't know that he can be THE player for a good team, but I do believe he can be A player for a good team.
Name GP GS Min Pts FG% 3Pt% FT% OReb Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF
14-15 Russell Westbrook 82 0 26.5 17.7 44.4 30.3 86.7 1.3 5.3 8.4 3.0 1.7 0.3 1.8

Shooting stats are slightly better than expected; his assist numbers are much better given the minutes/game difference from his actual statistics.

I'm going to need more out of him in 15-16. Projected lineup looks something like this:

PG Chris Paul
SG Danny Green or CJ McCollum
SF Al Horford
PF Anthony Davis
C Mason Plumlee

Westbrook will come off the bench covering the PG/SG backup minutes. I love him coming off the bench because his usage makes sure there will never be a usage penalty and his reb and ast percentages will cover any deficiencies from the bench players.
1/1/2020 4:29 PM
Can you win with Westbrook? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.