NEW 1963 J4M formula Progressive - FULL Topic

[See edit below for proposed League info]

Hello WIS,

It’s been about 6 years since I last participated in Simleague baseball, and given the current events I was having an itching to get back into a good progressive league!

My favorite era to start a progressive is mid/late 60’s as you see a lot of amazing players in the beginning and prime of their careers. Also gives a lot of options between 20/24 team leagues.

Given my long hiatus from the site, I don’t feel I would be the best person to run a new league so, I’m putting out a flare to see if anyone out there was considering starting something up.

I’m sure I could get my brother to join too ;)

Interested owners (15):

Chargingryno; Coldfoot; Contrarian23; Disco Dogs; Rls1; h_incandenza; Cpdpoet; N4ser; Husker75; Kallison1; Dbrom; Fire13; dannino; strubrosII; tycobb33



EDIT:
(In progress)

Inaugural Draft/Season:

The initial draft will be 16 rounds of snake style draft, each owner making 1 selection per round, followed by 5 rounds of snake style draft with each owner making 2 selections per round. Stadium/Franchise must be selected during the draft. (Draft Order will be determined by random.org). The player database available for the draft will be all players (WIS) available in 1963.

Round 1 will be untimed. Subsequent rounds will be timed with one-hour slots, running from Noon to 8pm PM, Eastern Time, Monday through Saturday. The inaugural draft will take a long time.

Missed Picks

Nobody will miss their Round 1 pick. Any missed picks in the following rounds means an owner can not pick until their scheduled time slot. If an owner goes AWOL and misses three consecutive rounds of picks, the commish may halt the draft.

Proxies

If you will be away during your pick, you have two options:

(a) post a public proxy in the league forums OR

(b) send a proxy to the commissioner and the two owners immediately following you AND post in the league forum draft thread that you have done this.

Failure to comply with at least one of these two conditions will be considered a missed pick. As long as you do either of these two things, your proxy will be honored, even if the owner posting for you posts late.

Future Seasons:

The draft for future seasons will use the Just4me draft formula for the first round of each rookie draft and will go worst to first in all subsequent rounds of each draft. *see note at bottom regarding formula

KEEPERS

The commissioner will set up a keeper thread in the private forum after the 120 game mark of each season. Keeper lists are due by the 150-game mark of each season. Teams may keep up to 25 players each year. At the 162-game mark, all keeper lists are final; any subsequent roster corrections must be posted directly in the league forum and sitemailed to the commissioner.

DRAFT PICKS

Each team will begin the draft with as many picks as needed to complete a 25-man roster. If, because of trades occurring during the draft, a team finds that it needs additional picks, those picks will be slotted at the very end of the draft. You may not trade draft picks that you don’t have. For instance, should a team begin the draft needing only two picks (Rounds 1 & 2), you can not trade a third round draft pick.

AVAILABLE PLAYERS

Each season the commissioner will post a list of available players for the upcoming draft. This list will be compiled from the list of all WIS-eligible players in the given season, subtracting out all players listed as keepers. In the event that the commissioner makes a mistake and lists an ineligible player on the Availables list, the player will remain with the franchise that protected him. Anyone that drafts said player will need to repick when the issue comes to light.

General Rules:

Teams: 16 - 4/4 division split
Team Name: Must be the same City/State as in RL (e.g., Chicago Scorpians, 1963 New York Pies, are allowed, whereas Midwest Cubs, Massachusetts Sox are not allowed. (I’m willing to nudge on this rule if others want more freedom with names))
AAA: 6/4 below average
DH: NL- NO /AL - YES
IR: If a rostered player doesn't have a WIS eligible season during the current season, he can be placed on IR. Owners must notate which players are on IR on their keeper lists prior to each draft.
Trades: No restrictions on trades as trades are highly encouraged to achieve parity and competitiveness. 120 game trade deadline will be enforced, but roster moves will be allowed all season long. Draft picks are restricted to 2 year's (e.g. During 1963 DRAFT, 1963 and 1964 picks are available to trade. During 1963 SEASON, 1964 and 1965 picks are available for trade. Commissioner reserves the right to allow a trade outside of these specifications on a per trade basis. Commissioner can overrule any that is deemed harmful to the integrity of the league.
WW: No
Stadiums: Must use teams RL stadium for the appropriate season.
Relocation: Teams have the option to relocate and/or change team names as appropriate with real life events in current season.
Expansion: As new cities become available in the late 60’s and 70's teams that are interested in relocating to one of these cities can express interest and will be put into a lottery for the relocation if more than 1 team is interested in relocating.

League Prizes:

Assuming the league goes five seasons and we keep at least half of the inaugural owners the $50 prize from admin will be distributed as five $10 GC as follows:

Best Cumulative Record
This goes to the owner who has the best overall W% with a minimum three season played in the league.

If the owner ran multiple teams and each team qualifies then each team will be counted separately. If one, or no team qualifies, they will be counted together.

Best Cumulative Draft Score
This goes to the owner who has achieved the best draft score with a minimum three season played in the league. The formula is applied to the cumulative salaries/wins over the 5 year period (or 3 or for owners who have not participated in all 5 seasons).

If the owner ran multiple teams and each team qualifies then each team will be counted separately. If one, or no team qualifies, they will be counted together.

Random Prize
This will be randomly distributed to any single current owner in the league, myself excluded. Owners with two teams will have two chances.

Longevity Award
This will be randomly distributed to any single current owner who has been with the league from the inaugural season, myself excluded.

*Wildcard*
This will be changed up every 5 seasons to give some variety and allow for other goals or prizes.

Commissioner:

As many of you know, I don't have time to run this league. So I will be more or less a board member only really taking on the draft formula and clarifying any rules/issues. Otherwise, (you?) will be running the league and will have full Commissioner powers/responsibilities.


*For those unfamiliar with the Just4me formula, it has been used by at least a dozen progressives over the years, was used in 3 of the 4 I started, and at least 2 other now defunct leagues. It is essentially an anti-tanking formula that encourages teams to be competitive even during rebuilding years; while rewarding teams based on how well they exceed their win expectancy using salary to compare each team to its league-mates and schedule. Rewarding those that do better than expected with good draft picks. Typically exceeding the expectation by 20% was good enough for the top pick (or at least a top 5 pick). For example, a rebuilding team might be expected to win 40 games, whereas winning 48 would be a 20% improvement over expectations and would net the team a top pick, where a top team might be expected to win 110 would then need to win 132 to reach that same target of 20%.
4/22/2020 1:55 PM (edited)
I can’t Commish it but I would join for sure.
4/13/2020 10:01 AM
I'm in, but not able to run it.
4/13/2020 10:01 AM
You just missed it - we are in the 3rd round of a brand new progressive starting in 1960.
4/13/2020 11:10 AM
Posted by Landry19 on 4/13/2020 11:10:00 AM (view original):
You just missed it - we are in the 3rd round of a brand new progressive starting in 1960.
Nuts! Is it a standard progressive? Or the territorial prog?
4/13/2020 11:13 AM
It is the Territorial one - which is basically a standard progressive with a minor tweak (we start with 7 of our own franchise players)
4/13/2020 1:19 PM
Yeah I saw that one a couple weeks ago. It's a cool idea, I'm more of a traditional league fan myself though
4/13/2020 4:17 PM
Ryno!! Welcome back. And I thought I saw just4me kicking around the forums recently.

Wow, this site just got a fabulous injection of owner talent.

I'm not up for running this progressive - see the separate forum thread where I outline the one I do plan on starting eventually - but if you get this one going AND it has a non-reverse-order-of-finish annual draft (maybe using your brother's old expected-wins formula??) then I might join.
4/13/2020 6:55 PM
Contrarian! Good to see you buddy. It's nice seeing a bunch of familiar names still here.

I did see your other post and is definitely something I’ll be keeping my eyes on your league. Not sure yet if I wanna do multiple progressive leagues yet, but depending on how this goes, it may be something I look at more closely!

Yep, J4M is in the WIS Championship, I believe I'm on the waitlist, but my comeback came just a bit too late. I would love to use his formula if he's willing to help run it! I know he said he's made some adjustments to his formula over the years as well!

4/13/2020 8:16 PM
I’m already running 2, got my hands full, but would join up as well.
Edit-If it comes down to it, I would probably run it.
4/14/2020 7:22 AM (edited)
ha! Disco great to see you again. There's a part of me too that says "oh just run it!" - but I'm trying to stay strong and not over commit to doing more than I'm able.

On the bright side, looks like we likely have 6-7 signups already :)
4/14/2020 9:45 AM
I've received sitemails with a couple other interested owners - that brings us up to 8 owners in with 1 MAYBE commish ??
4/14/2020 1:07 PM
I actually commish a prog league called J4M and I’ve never known what the J4M stood for. I had a team in there for a while and the commish wanted to step down and handed me the reigns. I’ve actually enjoyed running things but have also been blessed with great owners. We’re working our way to the present in year 2004 and I’ve been thinking about whether we’d start anew after that and what year would be a good one. Originally I was thinking the year Ruth started but the 50s or 60s might be better. Anyway, I’m interested but would need a couple days to make sure I can handle the workload. I’d also like more details about the league, such as number of teams, DH, cap, etc.
4/14/2020 4:21 PM
Posted by tradrrr on 4/14/2020 4:21:00 PM (view original):
I actually commish a prog league called J4M and I’ve never known what the J4M stood for. I had a team in there for a while and the commish wanted to step down and handed me the reigns. I’ve actually enjoyed running things but have also been blessed with great owners. We’re working our way to the present in year 2004 and I’ve been thinking about whether we’d start anew after that and what year would be a good one. Originally I was thinking the year Ruth started but the 50s or 60s might be better. Anyway, I’m interested but would need a couple days to make sure I can handle the workload. I’d also like more details about the league, such as number of teams, DH, cap, etc.
I'm curious if that's the original Just4me Progressive League. That was the first progressive I ever joined (j4m is my brother), though I'm guessing that league would have to had run its course by now.

As far as league details, I'd say it could be up to who runs it but my idea was either 20 or 24 teams - if 24, we'd start in 69 , if 20 then perhaps we could start in 63. DH I don't have much preference, would depend on player pool if there's enough quality to go around and I never typically used caps in progressives, but it's been awhile since I've been here ha
4/14/2020 5:29 PM
We're in season 63 in 2003. Thunderkat is the only original owner remaining but we've got a couple other really long time owners. I didn't come in until the 1972 season. I've often wondered how these progs all came about as it seems I was late to the game.

This particular league has an 85 million cap. I'm in one other prog league and it's without a cap. I guess I'd prefer the cap because it forces tough decisions and keeps the teams closer, but I'd be open to both.

I also like the idea of making it as mirroring RL as much as possible. DH in AL only, Same divisions and format as RL. So if we started in 69 there'd be 2 leagues and 2 divisions and only 2 rounds of playoffs. We could change it up when RL changes and expand as well. Any thoughts/interest in this?
4/14/2020 7:25 PM
12345 Next ▸
NEW 1963 J4M formula Progressive - FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.