Auction League - 1901 Start Topic

I am exploring the idea of creating a league based around an auction system.

The basic idea would be there are points and contract years and when you sign a player your points are tied up for the duration of the contract and your contract years have one return to the pool each year.

Players could be bid on up to two years early. If there is no change in bid on a player in 24h then that bid completes and the player is assigned to the highest bidder. Auto bidding will be supported where you can bid for example 400 and if the current bid is 250 it will bid 251 but then bid again immediately whenever someone raises it. So for example if they enter 350 and you enter 400 you will bid 351. You can also manually bid exact amounts as you prefer.

The site will automatically track and display available points for all teams as well as have viewable rosters.

I am a software developer and would build and host the site for the auctions. The auction would entirely replace the initial draft and the draft each year.

Would there be any interest in this format? I thought the idea of completely eliminating draft oriented RNG might appeal to a lot of owners.
9/28/2026 7:09 PM
SF....I probably am not interested in this league at this time due to too many teams already but I LOVE that some software guys are getting involved here and look forward to seeing any new innovations/tools that creative folks develop as while this site is great, the economics do not allow many common sense updates as it relates to drafting and researching players. Many guys here like crazystengel, J4M have developed some pretty cool tools but much more is needed.

Welcome and good luck with this idea.
9/29/2026 9:12 AM
I’m happy to work on this. I feel like it adds a lot of value to progressive leagues to not have a huge amount of RNG around pick order in the initial draft, but especially in the yearly drafts. Having available resources and how much someone is willing to pay in those resources determine who gets players instead of having it come down to the RNG of pick order seems to be a good way to balance a league. It also makes it likely that if you want a specific player badly and plan to have resources available when they come up you have a much better chance of getting them than you would in a random draft.
9/29/2026 12:00 PM
I will play want to see this software if enough people show interest
9/29/2026 12:08 PM
This sounds awesome!
10/4/2026 9:04 PM
Auction League - 1901 Start Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.