Just putting in my 2 cents here:
The league started in '69. I joined in '73. We're entering 1986 very soon.
One of the best things about this progressive IS the formula. It basically disallows tanking........
W/o going into the "how" specifics it rewards teams that "overachieve" on a predetermined win total. That win total is based on team salary vs league salary average. Every 20 games a snapshot is taken and salaries are updated. The structure is only for round 1, after that it's worst to first.
Anyway the structure does/has lead to some interesting. In my 13 seasons I have had the worst record in the league and still got the #1 pick (Valenzuela

) by managing my bench and salary. I have also had one of the best records in the league and drafted in the top 3(Trammell

).
And of course, I have had seasons where I managed and managed and well failed, that's on me. Remember, I am going against 23 other owners and Lady Luck too.
I have used lefty Greg Gross at 3b in a late season platoon, Larry Bowa and Bill Russell OOP and not rated at 2b for a few seasons, dozens on non 1b playing 1b, D/D- players at 3b for a whole season, 4 headed LF platoons, 3 headed catching platoons - all of the moves geared to win, to put the best product on the field.
Even if you are way out of the playoff picture, you still must pay attention to your win total. Not just because of a win-floor/lottery either. Every win counts, the owner still has something to play for. A top pick can go to a 60 win team, a .500 team or division winner. The scenerio is very different each year.
This is not a league where you usually have a 4.5 million dollar 5th outfielder. Granted some owners do that and succeed.
Sooooooo for my final example, in 1985 I had a bottom 4 salary @78(league range was @63 to @90, 94w a WC berth and wound up w/ the 16th pick. Four players started every game, seven players saw significant time at the 4 other spots and 2 late season trades bolstered the whole offense. On the other hand, my pitching staff was very stable.
It is a very unique AND long running progressive. Recently, I have had to cut back my WIS time substantially, but this is one league I will not leave unless I leave the site.
This was my first progressive, the formula makes it challenging, I hope owners - either new or not - will take a looksee.
Feel free to sitemail me w/ any Q's.