7 SEASON PLACE OF BIRTH PROGRESSIVE Topic

This will be my first league as a commissioner and I'm looking for 11 other managers who are prepared to commit to a 7 season progressive. The majority of the work will be done before season 1 and therefore we should be able to move through the years without undue delay.

Basic Concept


A 12 team, 2 division progressive that will run for 7 seasons.

Teams selected from players based on their place of birth.

Eligibility based on seasons 1960-2010, however each team will be allowed 1 position player and 1 pitcher from 1910-1960.

Teams

Proposed teams as follows (teams in bold are taken);

California - ikocur
Atlantic Coast (New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina)
South Eastern (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana) - crazyjoe02
Pennsylvania
Central America & Caribbean (Puerto Rico, Cuba, Panama, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Mexico)
Mid Western (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota)

South West (Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico)
New York
New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont)
Illinois
Ohio
Pacific & North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada & Japan) - loyalcanuck

Obviously some of these are slightly contrived in the interests of balancing the talent pool and I am open to suggestions. When we finalize will align broadly on basis of players available based on Baseball reference, but am confident that each team as proposed can put together a competitive squad.

Rosters

When we have 12 owners each will post 30 players who will see them through the full 7 seasons of the league.

20 players will play in all seasons and you will choose 7 consecutive seasons from their career.

Missing seasons from WiS for injury or war will be ignored i.e. they will be 7 consecutive WiS seasons, for example you could use Ted Williams 1940-42, 46-49.

The remaining 10 players will contribute a combined 35 seasons (5 places x 7)  as suits your specific requirements. Again you will identify the years you will be using when you post your squad.

28 of the 30 players will be from 1960-2010 inclusive. The remaining 2 (1 position, 1 pitcher) will come from seasons 1910-1960.

Other

We will be using the DH, but there will be no AAA and obviously no WW.

Given nature of the theme I propose that there should be no trading, but am open to discussion on this.

No clones.

Stadium from your state or region.

Prefer team names that are realistic so please find something that fits!


I think that about covers it...I will select 6th and please let me know if any questions or if you have ideas that might improve this concept.

4/27/2011 2:11 PM (edited)
i'll take California. is there a salary cap?
4/22/2011 5:51 AM
Excellent, we're off! California is yours.

No salary cap.


4/23/2011 9:26 AM
I'll take the Pacific & Northwest
4/24/2011 1:18 AM

Just to clarify.  When we pick the 7 seasons for the 20 players do we play them in chronological order?  For example if I have Larry Walker 94 to 00, do I use him starting with 94 Larry Walker in season 1, 95 Larry Walker in season 2 etc? 

Also, with the pool of 10, can I reuse years from players in this pool.  For example if I had Ichiro in this pool of 10, could I keep using his 2002 season or can I only us that season once?  Also do I have to use their seasons chronologically?  for example I use Ichiro's 2002 year in season 1, do I then have to use Ichiro's 2003 season the next time I use him?

From the sounds of it we have to set our rosters for the whole 7 seasons from the beginning, correct?

Thanks.  

4/24/2011 1:39 AM
They're yours!

Good questions...

- All players must be used in chronological order

- Each season for any player can only be used once

- Yes, rosters set for full 7 seasons at the beginning...hopefully this means we'll roll through without delays.

4/24/2011 5:21 AM
Thanks.  I've got another question. Do the players in the pool of 10 have to have 7 WIS seasons to qualify.  For example if I wanted Joey Votto and he only has 4 seasons could I still use him? 
4/24/2011 6:40 AM
No, that's why I did it this way...if you use Votto for 4 you need to have another of your 10 for 3 to complete the 7. Does that make sense?
4/24/2011 6:56 AM
OK so I could use Votto's four for seasons 1-4 and then another player with three years for seasons 5-7, but they would count as two players out of my pool of 10.
4/24/2011 3:59 PM
Correct.
4/24/2011 6:16 PM
3 in, 9 to go...
4/25/2011 6:32 AM
Sounds interesting. I like the idea of no downtime between seasons waiting for rosters, draft etc. Give me the Southeastern states. I would be against trading because that would defeat the purpose of the place of birth progressive.
4/27/2011 12:45 PM
Great to have you crazyjoe. Agree on trading.

8 to go...
4/27/2011 2:10 PM
Join this league!!
5/3/2011 6:09 AM
Thank you...couldn't have put it better myself!
5/5/2011 5:53 PM
7 SEASON PLACE OF BIRTH PROGRESSIVE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.