Looking for feedback on a new concept Topic

I am toying with putting together a progressive league that incorporates the promotion/relegation concept of European football. There is at least one other league I am aware of that does this (Ted Lasso), but that is a regressive rather than a progressive; I will be building on some of the ideas from that league and augmenting them.

A few of the basic ideas will include:
-- A contract-based salary cap system similar to those in place in a few other leagues, including the NWP-EE and the NWP-RE.
-- Starting in 1946 with the existing 16 MLB franchises (randomly allocated; there would be no initial draft).
-- Each season, franchises would have right of first refusal to their actual rookies; the annual draft would include only unclaimed rookies, previously unused players, and any players whose contract has expired. So, very different from a traditional progressive.
-- League would use the 1904-1960 SLB format: 16-teams, 2-league, no WC, 154-game schedule. This would be used in perpetuity.
-- Teams over time would be promoted (to the NL) or relegated (to the AL) based on previous season's performance. AL teams would see a reduction in their salary cap compared to NL.
-- The NL pennant winner will be considered the league champ; the SLB World Series will just be for fun, akin to the FA Cup in England.

I have a complete initial set of rules that is a lot more fleshed out, but there are enough new ideas working in combination here that I would like to pressure-test those rules with some experienced progressive owners. I am sure I am missing some things, or have created inadvertent loopholes, etc.

I AM NOT TAKING SIGNUPS FOR THIS LEAGUE AT THIS TIME. I am only about 50% certain that I will ever actually get it going, and if I do start it, participation will be by invitation only to experienced, reliable prog owners.

Please post here IF:
-- You are an experienced progressive owner (this is NOT a league for prog newbies)
-- Who would like to be considered for this league if/when it gets started,
-- AND (very important) you are willing to review the proposed rules and provide feedback. I will be asking you to sitemail me your email address, and I will email you a Word document with the draft constitution.


7/26/2023 12:30 PM
There is / was a progressive like this. I forget the name of it but maybe someone with experience in that league will chime in. I like the idea.
7/26/2023 1:44 PM
I like the promotion/relegation idea, which is what attracted me to the Ted Lasso league. I also like the format. The old WIBHEL used it. Not sure about the contract idea...I've never been a league that uses it. Also not sure if I'd join. I like to stay around six leagues, but I could be pesuaded. I'll SM you my email.
7/26/2023 3:07 PM
Re: contract points, I definitely didn't originate the idea, but I've started two progs that use them and I am kinda addicted to the concept. I think it makes running a prog team much more like the job of a modern day GM:

-- You can't lock up every player for his entire career
-- There is now a "cost" to IR; that player doesn't take up a roster spot, but he still costs you a contract point that season
-- You have to make tradeoffs that you don't even think about in most other leagues. Which is more value to you over a 5 season span? The guy with five decent-but-not-great fulltime seasons? Or the guy with 2 stud seasons, 2 average ones, and a season on IR?
-- It adds a lot of interest to the annual drafts because guys become free agents mid-career. You can't just prepare by relying on the results of previous drafts, because there are probably a couple mid-career hall of famers in the mix. In the NWP-RE, Ty Cobb will become a free agent after the 1918 season. When was the last time, if ever, Cobb was in a draft pool mid-career?

In this league, teams that are relegated will see their contract point budget get cut, much like a team relegated from the EPL to the Championship League loses out on EPL revenue. Whereas teams that get promoted will get a CP boost, like Luton Town for this upcoming season.
7/26/2023 4:13 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 7/26/2023 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Re: contract points, I definitely didn't originate the idea, but I've started two progs that use them and I am kinda addicted to the concept. I think it makes running a prog team much more like the job of a modern day GM:

-- You can't lock up every player for his entire career
-- There is now a "cost" to IR; that player doesn't take up a roster spot, but he still costs you a contract point that season
-- You have to make tradeoffs that you don't even think about in most other leagues. Which is more value to you over a 5 season span? The guy with five decent-but-not-great fulltime seasons? Or the guy with 2 stud seasons, 2 average ones, and a season on IR?
-- It adds a lot of interest to the annual drafts because guys become free agents mid-career. You can't just prepare by relying on the results of previous drafts, because there are probably a couple mid-career hall of famers in the mix. In the NWP-RE, Ty Cobb will become a free agent after the 1918 season. When was the last time, if ever, Cobb was in a draft pool mid-career?

In this league, teams that are relegated will see their contract point budget get cut, much like a team relegated from the EPL to the Championship League loses out on EPL revenue. Whereas teams that get promoted will get a CP boost, like Luton Town for this upcoming season.
I get it. So, there will be an "individual cap" for players? As an example, let's say I have Mickey Mantle. Could I assign him 11 contract points, and basically secure his best seasons, or will there be a 5 or 7 point limit? Also, is there the possibility of extending a player by "resigning" him at the cost of a draft pick?

I'm reviewing your draft constitution as we speak.
7/26/2023 6:57 PM
No individual cap. Any player’s contract is unlimited.

Contract extensions are not allowed, with one exception, which is explained in the document.
7/26/2023 8:21 PM
wondering how the decreased salary cap for AL would affect their roster decisions and impact them when they get ready to enter NL. Seems they would be at a disadvantage enter NL and a likely canidated for demotion the following season---an unhappy and discouraging repeat occurance?
7/29/2023 3:54 PM
BullMoose, they would get their CP reinstated upon promotion to the NL...this very situation is thought through carefully (I think...) in the rules, which I would be happy to share with you for feedback. If interested, send me a sitemail with your email address...
7/29/2023 11:18 PM
Looking for feedback on a new concept Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.