1904 Prog w/1984 All Stars! Full Topic

Cy Young and the Cy Youngs Progressive (CYCYPL)
1904/84(AS)

I used to run a few progressive leagues but then life got in the way. Now my kids are older, take 1 goes to college in August, I am counting the months until retirement (65 64 if you were wondering) and my wife goes to bed when the sun sets. Lo and behold, I got time......

I would like to run a league that is fun, easy to set up, and remains close to historically accurate. And awesome. And a bit hard. And like unpredictable. But not to unpredictable.

Here's my proposal for the initial draft:

1. All players in the 1904 player pool and the 1984 All Star teams.
2. Sixteen (16) teams.
3. Old school, two 8 team divisions. No playoffs, just the WS.
4. Start with a 25 man roster.
5. Any Stadium from 1904 or 1984 All Star Stadium to start.
6. Random snake draft.

For subsequent drafts here are the relevant rules:

1. New players will be ONLY rookies from old timers and the next years, not kept, modern All Stars.
2. All players would advance one year at a time and are eligible to be kept. As soon as Old Timers are cut (or forgotten) they exit the player pool. Modern players who are cut would be become eligible to be drafted if they make a future all star team
3.The 1984 players can be kept regardless of if they are All-Stars. If a modern all star is kept, he can not be drafted in the future. For example, there can only be one Ricky Henderson.
4. Draft Order will be Best Record to not make the WS to worst record in round 1 and then worst to first in subsequent.
5. If a team has a losing record 4 seasons in a row, they will get a supplemental pick at the end of the first round ( #17).
6. Going forward I think we will want to expand the rosters. I am not sure how this will play out but for now, there will be a 25 person cap.
7. No AAA/DH/Clones/WW and all that jazz.

What I am hoping to accomplish:

1. A neat league, I like the idea of seeing how Dwight Gooden does again Chip Knulte or some other 1904 rando. I want to see if Ty Cobb can beat Tony Gwynn in a batting race. I want to see how much a modern shortstop helps the 1904 pitcher with 2.6 K/9.
2. An easy draft. There's like 75 rookies in 1905, there's something like 20 new all stars (full disclosure, I didn't check that one, but I feel like it's a safe guess).
3. A league that discourages tanking (winning helps your draft position) but gives some help for franchises in a bad spot.


If you have any questions, fire away. I am sure I forgot something.

Just a clarification on keepers, cuts, and retirements: (New 2-5-25)

All players from the original 1904 draft (Old Timers) who are cut at the end of the 1904 season permanently retire from the league.

You may keep any 1984 All-Star on your roster along with any Old Timers you like.

Any 1984 All-Stars cut also permanently retire from the league unless they appear as an All-Star in a future season, at which time they can be redrafted in that season's All-Star rookie draft.

The next draft will consist of 1905 rookies and any 1985 All-Stars that are new to the league (not keepers from 1984). We then proceed 1 year forward each draft until we run out of seasons.

Also I am working on a spreadsheet that will have the available players, I'll just share this with whoever wants it. I normally do my research using the + numbers (AVG, OBP, SLG, ERC, WHIP, HR/9) but can easily add a category in the future if any wants it. Just let me know.

If someone could check the spreadsheet to make sure it works, I would appreciate it. I am getting kinda old....

NEW 2-7:

Universal scrubs are added (on page 2 until I figure out how to format it).
Spreadsheet done.
Added snake draft for season 1.

NEW 2-11:
Changed the available stadiums

NEW 2-12:
Added the stadiums and universal scrubs to the spreadsheet.
Just realized it's a 154 game schedule.

NEW 2-24

Started untimed draft
Timed draft will begin on 3-3.

Owners:

1. Trentonjoe
2. Crustydoc
3. Dbrom
4. chargingryno
5.calnah
6.just4me
7.midknight
8. dirtbag13
9.fabulous
10. Danidon
11.wgasa
12. Strubrosll
13. benfc
14. eman7400
15. Italyprof
16. Moser34
2/25/2025 2:41 AM (edited)
Count me in, TJ.
2/4/2025 11:16 AM
Sounds interesting. Count me in.
2/4/2025 6:16 PM
Thanks guys!
2/4/2025 7:59 PM
Added a clarification and available players worksheet.
2/5/2025 7:53 AM
You can throw my hat in the ring here. Sounds fun and love the rewarding to win factor.
2/5/2025 10:16 AM
Looked at spreadsheet, read that some players are possible keepers. Is league just starting? Or are you a season in?
2/5/2025 6:35 PM
League’s just starting. I was just projecting out what the season 2 draft would look like. I am counting the impact of the 1985 All-Stars.

EDIT: If you have a suggestion on how to organize the spreadsheet, I am all ears!
2/6/2025 9:41 AM (edited)
I'll give it a shot.
2/6/2025 10:25 AM
Year one has 346 players.

It looks like we will be 54 short.....I'll double check tonight but if I am right I will come up with a group of crappy 200K guys we will all use to fill out rosters.
2/6/2025 10:55 AM
Posted by calnah on 2/6/2025 10:25:00 AM (view original):
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks man!
2/6/2025 10:56 AM
I’m intrigued… go ahead and sign me up
2/6/2025 8:00 PM
I'll play - sounds interesting.

A couple of questions:
  1. Will the initial draft be a snake draft?
  2. Regarding the 54 shorted players, instead of $200K players, would you consider allowing players from 1984 with salaries up to $500-$750? No studs, but a little more respectable backup players. They would not be held over season to season.
2/6/2025 8:27 PM
Awesome ! Thanks guys.

Midknight,

1. ABSOLUTELY.
2. I’ll have to sig deep tomorrow but I don’t think there will be a shortage of IP and PA just bodies. I’ll see if I can put together a scrub team of 1984 dudes though.
2/6/2025 10:07 PM
In.
2/6/2025 10:45 PM
1234 Next ▸
1904 Prog w/1984 All Stars! Full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.