WIS - $2.95 means more than commissioners Topic

I'm having a hard time understanding how anything has been "abused" here, or even how it could be.  Could someone please explain the scam?  Assuming some owner were hell-bent on causing maximum damage, what's the worst case scenario for WIS?   Someone sends teams to a friend or family member so they can give SLB a try?  Or maybe he sends teams to his other IDs, so he can run a test league for himself?  I've done both of these things.  Was I hurting WIS by doing so?

More to the point, I'm in a long-running prog where several of us have contributed free teams to recruit new owners.  I've personally sent maybe 10 free teams to incoming owners over the years, and yes, all those teams were probably bought via the "multi-pack" offer.  So what?  When I buy something on discount at a store, the store doesn't force me to use that product myself -- I can give it away if I choose.  Why does WIS care who uses the teams?  

Furthermore, these teams are being used specifically to keep the prog running.  I'm fairly certain that without these giveaways the league would have died by now.  We're into 2009 in this particular prog, and as some of you know it gets harder and harder to find new owners to take over mediocre or bad teams as you start to catch up to the present day.  Why would WIS want to make it even harder for us to keep these progs going?
7/12/2015 12:53 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 7/12/2015 12:54:00 AM (view original):
I'm having a hard time understanding how anything has been "abused" here, or even how it could be.  Could someone please explain the scam?  Assuming some owner were hell-bent on causing maximum damage, what's the worst case scenario for WIS?   Someone sends teams to a friend or family member so they can give SLB a try?  Or maybe he sends teams to his other IDs, so he can run a test league for himself?  I've done both of these things.  Was I hurting WIS by doing so?

More to the point, I'm in a long-running prog where several of us have contributed free teams to recruit new owners.  I've personally sent maybe 10 free teams to incoming owners over the years, and yes, all those teams were probably bought via the "multi-pack" offer.  So what?  When I buy something on discount at a store, the store doesn't force me to use that product myself -- I can give it away if I choose.  Why does WIS care who uses the teams?  

Furthermore, these teams are being used specifically to keep the prog running.  I'm fairly certain that without these giveaways the league would have died by now.  We're into 2009 in this particular prog, and as some of you know it gets harder and harder to find new owners to take over mediocre or bad teams as you start to catch up to the present day.  Why would WIS want to make it even harder for us to keep these progs going?
Excellent points Crazy
7/12/2015 1:58 PM
...so they would rather risk losing the money paid for 23 teams (in a 24-team league) when the league shuts down, than allow a team that was purchased at a $3 discount to be transferred so the league can be filled and continue?

Corporate America at its finest. Way to go Fox
7/12/2015 5:18 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I understand that WIS's hands may be tied due to their mother ship setting policy.  It is pretty indicative of where this site is headed.  We will be excited if they actually roll out some updates, but you don't really think a price increase won't follow?  I used to love this site.  Now it's something that is marginally fun for me.  It's slowly dying.  I've been cutting back drastically and am planning my exit strategy.  
7/15/2015 8:44 PM
Posted by rooskie on 7/14/2015 3:14:00 PM (view original):
I appreciate all the well thought out comments from some very distinguished members of the WIS community! That and the vote which only has 3 against as one was made in error by kallison1 and posted as an error on the previous page.
I made the same mistake as kallison1 - meant to vote yes, accidentally hit no
7/16/2015 9:29 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
WIS - $2.95 means more than commissioners Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.