Posted by firesalt on 8/3/2018 5:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dspahlinger on 8/3/2018 2:46:00 PM (view original):
After further reflection I will bow out of this league. 280 players (20 times 14, presumably most of the good 1974 players) are owned by existing teams, and the list of 1974 owned players includes names like Yogi Berra, Del Crandall, Smoky Burgess etc. who retired way before the 1970's as well.
I think the new teams will have too tough a time to catch up since the 280 owned player will mostly be at the start of their career plus the existing teams will get 14 picks in each round compared to 20 for the new teams(2 each).
Sorry to bow out at this point but I didn't fully think through the drafting process versus retained players.
Dave, one thing to consider: the 8 teams being added will make up 2 new divisions. That means all the new teams will be competing against each other and 2 new teams are guaranteed to win their division. If you don't make the Playoffs your first year, you will have no one to blame but yourself. True, it may take a few years to have as good a team as some of the veteran teams, but at least you will be competitive within your division, and once the Playoffs start, anything can happen.
Not only that, but not all of those 20 keepers have spectacular rookie seasons. I have Brooks Robinson (135 PA/.239 BA/2 HR/14 RBI in 1957), Ralph Garr (102/.281/0/8/5 SB in 1970), and Jim Palmer (92 IP/3.72 ERA/.229 OAV/1.42 WHIP/0.59 HR/9 in 1965). Many other owners are in the same situation with key players. And I have players like Moe Drabowsky, who isn't worth much in the middle of his career. It all equals out--well, except for the fact that my division is so tough, the other three owners have each won the division at least twice, and at least one World Series victory! I'm currently seven games behind firesalt, with the fourth-best (?) record in the league! In the inaugural season, I won 117--and lost out to firesalt and his 119 wins!!!!!!
And a LOT of those rookies being added in aren't going to set the league on fire immediately, either.
8/4/2018 2:05 PM (edited)