Commentary Thread DH $52M Draft League LXVIII Topic

Posted by tarheel1991 on 4/17/2020 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Good to see someone else whose team defense is almost as bad as mine
I basically punted on defense and ended up in the Finals last season so you guys probably aren't in as bad of a position as you may think.
4/17/2020 5:32 PM
Posted by mikee1 on 4/17/2020 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 4/17/2020 3:51:00 PM (view original):
Marques for instance
He's available!
I still think he's a decent fit for you
4/17/2020 7:24 PM (edited)
I’ll do evals tonight or tomorrow but it’s gonna be hard with so many good teams
4/17/2020 5:40 PM
Posted by copernicus on 4/17/2020 7:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mikee1 on 4/17/2020 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 4/17/2020 3:51:00 PM (view original):
Marques for instance
He's available!
I still think he's a decent fit for you
Decent fit yes, but I think I'd have a better backup to Ewing if I had waited to grab SF in the 6th. There are still a number of serviceable guys. I think I botched picks 4-7, unfortunately, and if you're trading 2 and 3 for an extra 1 you simply cannot screw up the "support staff" of the team.

That being said, I have a new strategy for next season, and it still involves trying to pair DAJ with a volume, high EFG shooter (or two).
4/17/2020 8:03 PM
I always felt that picking at the bottom of the round 1 allowed you to take risks with lower minute highly productive players, ie Kawhi Leonard and Hassan Whiteside. That's because picking of the top of the 6th is so awesome. But now the owners in this league are all smart enough to snag the great bench players before the 6th round.
4/17/2020 11:04 PM
but also the player pool is more...? deeper?
4/17/2020 11:36 PM
Evaluations in three parts (8 per post, in reverse order starting with the 24th pick):

Don’t get mad if you don’t like my analysis. I’m usually bad at these anyway.

24. Longtallbrad (Duncan, Garnett, Buck, Jrue, Smart, Cousins, James Johnson)

I love the idea of Duncan and Garnett playing together. 2 of the best big men of my era. Buck is a smart pick as a switchable SF/PF with Garnett guarding the better forward but Buck helping offset Garnett’s weakish rebounding. James Johnson in the 6th is a great pick just because he’s good at everything. I don’t know how efficient this team will be with Duncan/Garnett/Cousins though...I think that might hold them back. I’ll say possible but not guaranteed playoffs and not a contender.

23. BDS9992 (Dr J, Ben Wallace, Horford, Conley, Okafor, Dragic, West)

It’s funny. I think my least favorite pick of yours is the first pick. Wallace is obviously a good pick at the early 2nd. Horford and Conley are great role players. Okafor/Dragic/West are all solid that late in the draft. I don’t think I’d ever pick Dr J in the first, but looking at the whole picture it doesn’t look like a bad team. I’m assuming Erving at SG and Horford at SF? If so, the rebounding will be strong and strong enough to keep you in any game. The efficiency will only be okay and that might hurt you. I’d say this is about a 40 win team.

22. Vancem (Kawhi, Whiteside, Deron, Drexler, Willis Reed, AC Green, Bynum):

Kawhi is a great building block if you can get the right pieces around him. Whiteside is fantastic and was a big part of my last title team. Deron is a good next to Kawhi because you need to make up for Kawhi’s lack of assists. Drexler makes a great backup to Kawhi but I don’t know if I’d use a 4th on a backup...I like the first 3 picks a lot but I would’ve went a different direction afterward. Bynum is a nice pick though. He and Whiteside give you a lot up front. This should be a playoff team for sure.

21. DH555 (Stockton, Magic, Noah, Boerwinkle, Grant Hill, Mark Jackson, Westbrook)

I honestly don’t know how to evaluate this team. The passing is insane. Defense looks okay. Somehow you’re going to be able to compete in rebounding too even with all the guards. I think instead of Grant Hill, I would’ve picked a player who sucked at passing but was super efficient at scoring so that the other 4 could feed him shots, but I understand you were wanting 5 good passers on the court, and it might work, I honestly don’t know. I think this team will make the playoffs. Excited to see how it goes though. If you have success, you just raised the draft stock of every good passer in the sim.

20. Mptrey (David Robinson, Wade, Jokic, Nance, Iggy, Danny Green, Diallo)

This team is the complete opposite of the previous one. You’re barely squeaking by in assists, but my last title team only had one guy on the whole team who could pass, so that’s not a huge deal to me. I like how you have 4 great defenders to cover for Jokic’s weakness. I think you’ve got above average D and good rebounding but I just don’t see what would carry you to a championship. I think this is a playoff team but not a contender. However, you always field a strong squad and depending on your bench you could change that.

19. Me (Barkley, McHale, Klay, Simmons, O’Quinn, Mullin, Embiid)

I fell in love with the McHale/Barkley duo early in the draft but then realized that I had way too many holes to fill. This led to me having only one good passer and one good shooter in the starting 5. I still think my efficiency will win lots of games but I just don’t feel the magic on this team. I was really hoping Jerry Lucas would fall to me in the 5th. I would’ve used the Knicks version that was okay at D, good at passing and even shot some 3s. Would’ve solved a lot of problems for me. If I could do it over again I would’ve picked someone aside from Klay in the 3rd. I’m making the playoffs. Don’t think I’m repeating.

18. Pharrop (Davis, Kidd, Ibaka, Jonas, Domantas, Mirotic, Majerle)

The first three picks were GREAT but I feel like Jonas was a reach at 4. DSabonis is good value at 5 but Mirotic and Majerle seem like they were a reach with better players available like Ray Allen. This is a good team but I think going SG in the 4th with Brent Barry over Jonas and then filling in C with guys like Javale would’ve been a better overall team. I hate saying “playoffs” for almost every team because that’s not possible, but this looks like a borderline playoff team to me.

17. Coachcroft (Moses, Drummond, George, Barry, Rondo, Harkless, Javale)

Moses and Drummond up front is filthy. George is a good player at that pick in the 3rd, and after looking at your team it looks like you’re going to use him at SF since you don’t need a rebounder there thanks to Moses/Drummond, which is smart. That then gives you another shooter at the 2 (Brent Barry), and then you capitalize on your two good shooters by getting a great PG in the 5th with Rondo since you can afford his lack of shooting. So you have 1 great and 2 good passers, 2 good shooters, 2 elite rebounders, and pretty good defense overall. This looks like a playoff team to me, so maybe most of the non-playoff teams picked earlier in the draft?
4/18/2020 12:13 AM
I wanted Boozer, then D. Sabonis. Okafor is safer defensively but you're right, this team may not be efficient enough. Checks all the boxes but may not be dominant.
4/18/2020 12:20 AM
dBKC, thanks for the feedback. Love this about this league and the ODL. Responding not because I am mad but with the quarantine I have the time.

To me, these draft leagues are like my favorite all-time show, The Wire, everything is connected. So I try not to reach in the first 3 rounds but after that, the course is set and the other 4 picks have to fit with the first 3. Every man must have a code and mine is, don’t overpay for useage, take care of 3/4/5 spots first, and 3>2.

I almost pulled the trigger on Barkley but I decided against it because my current ODL team with Chuck is a disappointment and made me question if I know how to build around him. So went with AD whose reb% is a little light for a 4 man. That led to Kidd in the second as his reb% is ++ for a 1 guard. Took Ibaka in the third b/c of his 92 D season(covers 3/4/5 very well) but his reb% is a little light for these tough leagues.

4th round, I need my 2 or my 5 to be strong at D(preferably the 2). I need my 5 to have a strong reb%. Kidd’s low useage also factored in. So Barry’s useage was below my floor so did not even consider him. It came down to the DSabonis or Jonas. Jonas D was a little better and he shot over 40% from 3 on 74 ATT. DSabonis is a lot better passer and he was available in the 5th so took him as Jonas is 1700 min season. Sabonis shoots over 50% from 3 on only 17 ATT.

So my 5 is the weak spot on D so my 2 guard needs to be strong. Allen’s D was below my floor so he never factored in. Thunder Dan is 80D (100% at 3 spot too) and 38% from 3 on over 400 ATT. I strongly considered Robert Covington as he switches well up to the 5 but his assist rate was low for this team.

McGee’s rebounding rate is too low to fit this team and he doesn’t shoot 3’s. For this team, all due respect, Jonas/Sabonis combo is much better.

I had Embiid slotted in to take up bench 4 and 5 spots but you took him right before me. So Mirotic plays the 4/5 rebounds well enough and…shoots the 3. I got Charlie Villanueva to fill in the rest of the minutes. Also went with a 600 minute 96 D guy for when we play the low post powerhouses.

If anyone read this far, thanks…especially if you are in the division draft.

4/18/2020 10:11 AM
You’re right, my suggestions would’ve left you a little light on USG but was more just saying that I think you could’ve gotten Jonas and Majerle later in the draft and picked up another stud in the 4th. Still think you’ve got a good team as mentioned originally.
4/18/2020 10:49 AM
Chris Andersen could have maybe been Gerald Wallace, but otherwise, I'm happy with how it went for me.
4/18/2020 10:53 AM
Posted by dBKC on 4/18/2020 10:49:00 AM (view original):
You’re right, my suggestions would’ve left you a little light on USG but was more just saying that I think you could’ve gotten Jonas and Majerle later in the draft and picked up another stud in the 4th. Still think you’ve got a good team as mentioned originally.
Fair enough, yes maybe for this league I think 4 guys and fill in with the last 3, thanks for the help
4/18/2020 12:16 PM
good evaluations.....

so far
4/18/2020 12:26 PM
I’ll finish today or tonight
4/18/2020 12:49 PM
no hurry...
4/18/2020 1:22 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16|17 Next ▸
Commentary Thread DH $52M Draft League LXVIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.