Rules
1) Initial Draft
  • It will run serpentine Style(1-24, 24-1)
  • Draft order will be determined randomly by someone not in the league
  • You may assign contract lengths when making your selections or wait until the draft is over
  • Once the initial draft is over you will need to post your roster with all your players contract lengths. In order to keep free agents on the market every season, a structure has been put in place to limit the amount of players that can be signed to a deal at each length. Player contracts cannot be terminated at any time. Initial contract structure will be based on the following format:
1 Year-7 players
2 years-7 players
3 years-5 players
4 years-3 players
5 years-2 players
7 years-1 player
2) Future Drafts
  • The 1st 2 rounds of the draft will be from the rookie player pool only
  • Any player drafted in round 1 may be signed to up to 7 years. Any player drafted in rounds 2 & beyond may only be signed to up to 5 years
  • The draft order will be determined via team record. A minimum of 40 wins at game 120 will be required to get the top pick. If you fail to get to 40 wins, that team is slotted as follows:
39 wins-pick #2
38 wins-pick #3
37 wins-pick #4
<37 wins-pick #5(if more than one team, than most wins gets #5)
  • Draft order ties will be determined 1st by head to head results(worse record getting better pick), then by total runs scored(lower # gets better pick), & then by expected win %
  • Round 3 & beyond will take place after the free agency bidding. The player pool will consist of non-drafted rookies & all players not won in the F.A. bidding
  • You may trade draft picks from the current season & the following 2 seasons
  • If an owner misses their first round pick, the commish will make a pick for them at the end of the round so their team doesn't get too far behind.
  • If you want to save a roster spot for the F.A. bidding, you can pass on making a 2nd round pick. You will not be able to make-up that pick once you pass on it.
  • The AAA draft will be 4 rounds. It is totally voluntary. All AAA players are automatically assigned to 1 year contracts so you don't go over 25 players the following year. There will be no use of the auto-generated AAA players.

3) Free Agency Bidding
  • Free agency will work in an auction-style format, with the highest bid winning the player. The amount of credits spent on a player will determine the length of that player's contract, so spend wisely. Here is the breakdown:
1-5 credits: 1 year
6-10 credits: 2 years
11-15 credits: 3 years
16-20 credits: 4 years
21 or more credits: 5 years
  • Free agency credits will be determined by the first two numbers of team's overall winning % + home wins at game #120(minimum of 25).
  • You may only trade free agent credits from the current year or ones from the next year. You can only receive up to 50 credits for 1 draft total. Anything received over that will go back to the team that traded them away. During the free agent bidding, you may only receive a total of 25 credits without going over the 50 credit limit.
  • The free agent pools will be divided into 3 groupings. Any player not receiving bids or won from group 1 will be added to group 2. Any players not receiving bids or won from groups 1 & 2 after group 2 has been bidded on, will be added to group 3. Here is how the groupings will be determined:
Group 1-All players with a salary over $2,000,000
Group 2-All players between $1,000,000 & 1.999,999
Group 3-All players below 1,000,000
  • Anybody can bid on day 1. On day 2, anybody can bid on any player that received a bid on day 1. Only the day 1 leader will be able to bid on day 3. The reason for this, is so you get real bids on day 1 & not have day 1 be a wasted day of bidding. If there is a tie on a player after day 3 bids are submitted, those tied owners will have a day 4 of bidding. If I receive no bids that day, the player is returned to the F.A. pool. If I do receive bids for them & they are still tied then there will be a day 5 & so on. If there is a single leader, then the bidding is over(obviously). If an owner is M.I.A. for the first 2 rounds of the F.A. bidding, the commish will make bids for them in round 3 so they won't get too far behind. Also, you can trade bidding rights if you were the day 1 leader. The team receiving the bidding rights has to have enough F.A. credits to cover the bid.
  • Once a player is won, you may extend their contract up to the max of 5 years. You must spend the max # of credits to do this. For example, if you won player A with 11 credits he is signed for 3 years. If you really want him for 4 years, you would have to spend 20 credits total(the original 11 + 9 more). Since there is no max # for 5 years, you will have to spend 25 for 5 years. This MUST be stated in the draft forum before the season starts. If it is not stated there, it doesn't count.
  • You may place contingency bids. For example: I want to place a bid of up to 15 on player A. If that isn't enough, then place a bid of up to 10 on player B. No limit on how many of these you may place.
  • Half of your leftover credits may be carried over to the following draft(up to 25 total). For example, If you have 20 credits leftover, you would get 10 credits added to your following season's total.
  • Pre 1977 players that don't appear in WIS in 1977 but appear later shall be added as free agents.

4) Trade Deadline-It will be at game # 120.

5) Injured Reserve-If a player is on I.R. that season counts toward his contract.

6) Player Positions-A player must be rated at a position to play there. There is no DH. If a player has no position rating, he will be allowed to play 1B & ONLY 1B.

7) Missed Players-If a player is not listed, then they will be added to the next available players list. If it is in the last part of the draft, then the player gets added to next year's draft.

8) Rosters–Starting in 1978, the commish will post rosters so there will be no errors.

9) Illegal Rosters-There will be times when you win too many players & your roster is over 25 players. You will be forced to trade the excess player(s) before the season starts. If you don't & you are forced to cut the player(s) to get down to 25 players, you will incur a penalty. Any team that has an illegal player on their team after the season starts or has to cut players will drop 5 spots down in the 1st round or their 1st available pick will drop 5 spots in the next draft.

10) Other Trade Rules–You must trade a player for something. It can be as little as 1 free agent credit. Any trade made during the off-season can be put to a vote if it is determined to be lopsided by the commish. It will follow the same rules as an in-season trade.

11) Team Names and Stadiums-Same as real life. If your team changes names or moves parks, then you must do the same.

12) Salary Cap-None

13) Waiver Wire-No
5/20/2021 4:19 AM (edited)
Teams
Atlanta Braves-reddtrain
Baltimore Orioles-yatagon
Boston Red Sox-
California Angels-
Chicago Cubs-chargingryno
Chicago White Sox-
Cincinnati Reds-dannyjoe
Cleveland Indians-
Detroit Tigers-
Houston Astros-
Kansas City Royals-royhobbs09
Los Angeles Dodgers-DodgerDon
Milwaukee Brewers-
Minnesota Twins-
Montreal Exops-
New York Mets-strubrosII
New York Yankees-epup1975
Oakland A's-
Philadelphia Phillies-
Pittsburgh Pirates-
San Diego Padres-
San Francisco Giants-
Seattle Mariners-
St. Louis Cardinals-
Texas Rangers-
Toronto Blue Jays-flbarons
6/19/2021 2:11 AM (edited)
I have decided there might be enough interest to restart this league. We will start in 1977. I will start things off with taking the evil empire, the Yankees.
5/20/2021 3:48 AM
No DH in AL? Then it’s a simple decision....Los Angeles Dodgers.......naturally.
5/20/2021 4:07 AM (edited)
Posted by DodgerDon on 5/20/2021 4:07:00 AM (view original):
No DH in AL? Then it’s a simple decision....Los Angeles Dodgers.......naturally.
That was the original rule. It can be changed if enough people want it.
5/20/2021 4:14 AM
I will take Baltimore
5/20/2021 7:50 PM (edited)
One clarification: The season allotment is for the first season only? Or will we have to conform to that every season?

If the former, hope you're OK with only one season of Ozzie/Trammell/Molitor/Whitaker.

I'd love to represent my hometown Rangers, but with the uncertainty of the DH rule and the fact that they changed from a neutralish park to Coors South at the beginning of the "chicks dig the long ball" era - I can't do it. I'll take my wife's hometown team instead: Atlanta. Two decades of Fulton County Launchpad should be fun.
5/20/2021 9:25 AM
I'm excited about this. I'll take the Chicago Cubs
5/20/2021 9:59 AM
I'll join; the first incarnation of this league was definitely one of the most fun I've been in. I am not very picky about the franchise. You can put me down for the Reds, but I'll switch if someone else especially wants them.

Rules questions:
Is it a 25-man roster limit at the conclusion of free agency, and then you can add up to 4 more for AAA?
And during the initial draft, if I trade a player after announcing his contract length, does that carry over to the new team? For example, if I draft Eddie Murray to a 7-year contract and immediately trade him, does his new team wind up with two 7-year players? Or do I assign a 7-year contract to one of my remaining players?
5/20/2021 9:18 PM
Posted by dannyjoe on 5/20/2021 9:18:00 PM (view original):
I'll join; the first incarnation of this league was definitely one of the most fun I've been in. I am not very picky about the franchise. You can put me down for the Reds, but I'll switch if someone else especially wants them.

Rules questions:
Is it a 25-man roster limit at the conclusion of free agency, and then you can add up to 4 more for AAA?
And during the initial draft, if I trade a player after announcing his contract length, does that carry over to the new team? For example, if I draft Eddie Murray to a 7-year contract and immediately trade him, does his new team wind up with two 7-year players? Or do I assign a 7-year contract to one of my remaining players?
1) It is a 25 man limit at the end of the draft + the optional 4 AAA guys. That way, if you end up over 25 players after F.A., you will have a little time to do some trading to get back down.
2) The contracts aren't finalized until the initial draft is over. So if you draft Murray in the inaugural & then trade him before the draft is over, then the new team would still have the one 7 year contract limit. If you waited until the season starts, then the new team could have two 7 year players.
5/20/2021 10:40 PM
giddy up !!! epup - This was the League I was talking about (when I was toddleduc)
I think back then (2005? 2006?) we started it in 1982?

in with Kansas City
5/21/2021 9:55 PM (edited)
good to see you all :)) it has been awhile...
5/21/2021 9:58 PM
Posted by royhobbs09 on 5/21/2021 9:55:00 PM (view original):
giddy up !!! epup - This was the League I was talking about (when I was toddleduc)
I think back then (2005? 2006?) we started it in 1982?

in with Kansas City
Welcome back!!! Yes the 1st incarnation was 1982
5/22/2021 1:31 AM
I'd like to join again as well TO Blue Jays, I'd vote for the DH in the American League....
5/23/2021 8:43 PM
I'll play with the Mets
5/23/2021 9:43 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.