New - CFP League - Full / Waitlist Topic

Posted by sigblend on 8/30/2021 5:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chargingryno on 8/29/2021 10:43:00 PM (view original):
I am possibpy interested in this league - not sure if I have the time for another progressive right now, but am curious why all drafted FA’s aren’t given the same 5 year free agency, but just the rookies are?

It definitely adds a twist to the draft strategy, but would see some very good talent enter back into the draft pool that way as well.
The rookie free agency mimics real life a little without having to take in to account years of service, age drafted, arbitration, etc. But you hit the nail on the head with your observation that it adds a twist and hopefully opens up several different strategies for team building.

I feel like part of the fun of building your team is having some stars you try and keep as long as possible. That's why not everyone will be a free agent.

It would be great if you joined. At the rate we are going we are probably a few weeks away from drafting. I am going to do a lot of record keeping that should reduce your time investment to some degree.
I guess my "thought/concern" is that because its a franchise draft, and not a full player draft, some teams are going to be built [significantly) much better than other teams - and the only offset is the teams who have crappy teams to start get to pick first in the player draft - but very few veteran players [if any] available in the draft will be valued higher than any of the rookies in the draft, and the rookies come with an expiration.

I know part of the fun of progressives comes in building a team regardless of the starting point, but I just feel a (for example) Cincinnati/New York (NL) franchise is going to be far more valuable - with guys like Bench, Rose, May, Perez, McRae or Seaver, Ryan, Koosman, Gentry, McGraw, etc, who can all play for 10+ years, versus a team like Cleveland who has Graig Nettles, and then no one else who is still playing in 3-5 years. You're gonna need more than 5 years of Blyleven in order to balance it out, and sure you'll probably get top picks in 71 and 72 and 73, but by then your stars are almost gone, while those other teams are still going strong.

That's my biggest objection to joining right now. IMO - the only way to do it fairly is to give 5 year contracts to all players - I know you're trying to mimic RL a little bit - but those are my concerns.
8/30/2021 1:23 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 8/30/2021 1:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sigblend on 8/30/2021 5:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chargingryno on 8/29/2021 10:43:00 PM (view original):
I am possibpy interested in this league - not sure if I have the time for another progressive right now, but am curious why all drafted FA’s aren’t given the same 5 year free agency, but just the rookies are?

It definitely adds a twist to the draft strategy, but would see some very good talent enter back into the draft pool that way as well.
The rookie free agency mimics real life a little without having to take in to account years of service, age drafted, arbitration, etc. But you hit the nail on the head with your observation that it adds a twist and hopefully opens up several different strategies for team building.

I feel like part of the fun of building your team is having some stars you try and keep as long as possible. That's why not everyone will be a free agent.

It would be great if you joined. At the rate we are going we are probably a few weeks away from drafting. I am going to do a lot of record keeping that should reduce your time investment to some degree.
I guess my "thought/concern" is that because its a franchise draft, and not a full player draft, some teams are going to be built [significantly) much better than other teams - and the only offset is the teams who have crappy teams to start get to pick first in the player draft - but very few veteran players [if any] available in the draft will be valued higher than any of the rookies in the draft, and the rookies come with an expiration.

I know part of the fun of progressives comes in building a team regardless of the starting point, but I just feel a (for example) Cincinnati/New York (NL) franchise is going to be far more valuable - with guys like Bench, Rose, May, Perez, McRae or Seaver, Ryan, Koosman, Gentry, McGraw, etc, who can all play for 10+ years, versus a team like Cleveland who has Graig Nettles, and then no one else who is still playing in 3-5 years. You're gonna need more than 5 years of Blyleven in order to balance it out, and sure you'll probably get top picks in 71 and 72 and 73, but by then your stars are almost gone, while those other teams are still going strong.

That's my biggest objection to joining right now. IMO - the only way to do it fairly is to give 5 year contracts to all players - I know you're trying to mimic RL a little bit - but those are my concerns.
I understand your thoughts and concerns and I appreciate you sharing those. But with respect - you're poking holes in something that has not even taken place yet. I get that anyone wants to look at a league and figure out how they can win and how they see their team a few years down the road. There are strong and weak teams in MLB just like there will be here. They get better with their draft strategies, trades and their ability to get free agents or they get worse with their draft strategies, trades and the free agents they lose.

Success in MLB runs in cycles. I don't expect this league to be any different.

8/30/2021 3:18 PM
always looking for good Progressive's - we'll take a team.
8/31/2021 12:17 AM
Posted by hoopsrus on 8/31/2021 12:17:00 AM (view original):
always looking for good Progressive's - we'll take a team.
Great! Thanks for joining.
8/31/2021 6:14 AM
sigblend, I appreciate and admire the thought and work you have put in to this project.

I would like to participate in your Progressive League.
9/6/2021 4:58 AM
Posted by ooooohdoggie on 9/6/2021 4:58:00 AM (view original):
sigblend, I appreciate and admire the thought and work you have put in to this project.

I would like to participate in your Progressive League.
Well come on in! Thanks for signing up.
9/6/2021 11:05 AM
I would like to try this
9/8/2021 12:16 AM
Posted by yatagon on 9/8/2021 12:16:00 AM (view original):
I would like to try this
Glad to have you join! Welcome.
9/8/2021 5:23 AM
Looks quite interesting.I'll get in on it.
9/8/2021 3:04 PM
Posted by big_dowg on 9/8/2021 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Looks quite interesting.I'll get in on it.
Come on in and get yourself something cool to drink! Welcome.
9/8/2021 3:21 PM
I AM IN.

aLSO WONDERING IF MAYBE TO COMBAT CHARGING RYNO'S CONCERNS, WHICH SEEM LEGIT TO ME, i WOULD LIKE YOU TO CONSIDER SOMETHING ON THE VERSION OF EACH TEAM CAN NAME 1 PLAYER THEY DRAFT IN ANY GIVEN SEASON TO A 7 YEAR CONTRACT, OR LIFE-LONG. kIND OF LIKE mlb TEAMS ARE DOING NOW BY SIGNING YOUNG GUYS (TATIS OR GUERRO FOR EXAMPLE) BEFORE THEY BECOME STARS. THAT ONE GUY WOULD ALLOW A WEAK TEAM AN OPPORTUNITY TO BUILD FOR THE FUTURE EVEN IF THE ORIGINAL ROSTER IS VERY THIN.

i LIKE THE ODD LEAGUES....ASKING SOMETHING DIFFERENT OF THE OWNER/GM.
9/11/2021 2:01 AM
Posted by BullMoose on 9/11/2021 2:01:00 AM (view original):
I AM IN.

aLSO WONDERING IF MAYBE TO COMBAT CHARGING RYNO'S CONCERNS, WHICH SEEM LEGIT TO ME, i WOULD LIKE YOU TO CONSIDER SOMETHING ON THE VERSION OF EACH TEAM CAN NAME 1 PLAYER THEY DRAFT IN ANY GIVEN SEASON TO A 7 YEAR CONTRACT, OR LIFE-LONG. kIND OF LIKE mlb TEAMS ARE DOING NOW BY SIGNING YOUNG GUYS (TATIS OR GUERRO FOR EXAMPLE) BEFORE THEY BECOME STARS. THAT ONE GUY WOULD ALLOW A WEAK TEAM AN OPPORTUNITY TO BUILD FOR THE FUTURE EVEN IF THE ORIGINAL ROSTER IS VERY THIN.

i LIKE THE ODD LEAGUES....ASKING SOMETHING DIFFERENT OF THE OWNER/GM.
Thanks for joining! Welcome aboard.

I have toyed with the idea of some form of arbitration to extend a rookie past the 5 year window. I think that is a topic I will ask the league to consider after we fill and before we begin play. I don't think it is a bad idea.
9/11/2021 6:58 AM
Im in. mets
9/12/2021 11:30 PM
Deal me in please - love the free agency concept
9/13/2021 1:50 AM
Am I right in my understanding that we will draft our franchise? I note an owner above wants in but said Mets....I don't think that is how it works but wanted to be sure.
9/13/2021 2:51 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
New - CFP League - Full / Waitlist Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.