Round 2 Themes, 2021 Topic

I'm not really seeing that. Looks like agreement on 70M, basic agreement on 80M and the SLG calculation. We just need a decision maker to step up (ozo ideally, or schwarze).

I haven't seen any timetable, but if we end up starting a few weeks later than we were all envisioning because folks (understandably) chose to wait rather than start building these teams, that seems a nonissue--we just start late.
9/10/2021 7:55 AM
Given the lack of communication from ozo, I have asked schwarze to be the final decision maker on rules interpretations and disputes. We need someone in charge. Hopefully he jumps in.
9/10/2021 10:13 AM
I was asked to make some rule interpretations. I can do that. Let me read the last few pages of comments.
9/10/2021 11:28 AM
With respect to Hall of Fame question...

My initial thought was to allow only players that come up in the search engine when you check the Awards box = Hall of Fame. I think the spirit of the theme is to include only HOF players, not to allow the loophole of adding cheap player-seasons by HOF managers or other executives who may have had a cup of coffee in the MLB.

So my ruling is to only allow HOF Players, i.e., those that show up on the search engine. Since 2020 HOF's have not yet been added, I would go ahead and allow Jeter, Walker & Simmons as well. Let me know if any other players are missing from the HOF search criteria.

EDIT
I was unaware that all non-player HOF show up in the search, so based on that.... yes... anybody who shows up in the search when you choose HOF is eligible + the 2020 inductees.
9/10/2021 12:52 PM (edited)
Posted by rbow923 on 9/9/2021 11:47:00 AM (view original):
Simplest answer for HoF is to use whoever is in the search function. Complicating things for the sake if realism isn't always a good idea.
Exactly.
9/10/2021 11:53 AM
With respect to the 70M 5-Clone theme

Interestingly enough, when I suggested the 5-player clone theme to ozomatli (he asked to see my theme league ideas that I had mapped out), I suggested this 5-clones idea, but for a high cap theme, like $140M. I never expected him to use it for the lowest salary theme. At a high cap, teams can afford some dead salary. At a super low cap, this does seem pretty punitive. Ironically, my HOF suggestion was meant for the 70M league.

I have a radical idea, that I would like to propose. I know some folks have already built teams, so I will based the ruling on the results of a simple majority vote.

9/10/2021 12:12 PM (edited)
Please choose one of the two options.

(1) Keep the 70M and 80M themes exactly as ozomatli outlined, including 5 players in the 70M theme.
(2) Swap the 70M and 80M themes. The HOF theme will use a $70M cap. The 5 clones theme will use an $80M cap.

Votes: 24
(Last vote received: 9/10/2021 5:16 PM)
9/10/2021 12:04 PM
With respect to the SLG% Theme...

The Variable Cap theme based on a statistic is an Ozomatli special. Personally, I despise these type of themes and the very issue I'm asked to rule on is exactly why. When creating a theme idea, the first thing I do is determine how easy or hard is the verification process of the roster.

Based on this, I think it's far better to use what SLG% shows up AFTER you enter your team. Yes, it might be a bit of a hassle for you, but think about the poor sap that would have to check all the rosters, if you did it the other way.

That is my ruling.

I will check back to see the results of the voting. Once that is determined, the commissioners can send me their rosters to verify. (Just copy/paste directly into a sitemail, with no edits).
9/10/2021 12:11 PM
schwarze in the HOF search, managers and executives show up as well as players
9/10/2021 12:24 PM
Thanks for the quick responses Schwarze.

Just my $0.02 - with regards to the 70M 5-clone team, I think it would be a huge mistake to do a switch at this time. I have already spent a ton of time on this theme, as I imagine many others have as well. Yes the theme is difficult, and would be a lot easier if it were more players or a higher cap. However, this is the cage so difficulty shouldn't be a reason to switch things up at such a late stage...
9/10/2021 12:32 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 9/10/2021 12:24:00 PM (view original):
schwarze in the HOF search, managers and executives show up as well as players
I guess I learned something new today. If that's the case, then all that show up are eligible.
9/10/2021 12:51 PM
Posted by mjkrunner on 9/10/2021 12:32:00 PM (view original):

Just my $0.02 - with regards to the 70M 5-clone team, I think it would be a huge mistake to do a switch at this time. I have already spent a ton of time on this theme, as I imagine many others have as well. Yes the theme is difficult, and would be a lot easier if it were more players or a higher cap. However, this is the cage so difficulty shouldn't be a reason to switch things up at such a late stage...
I totally agree. I would not like to have to put together another clone team.
9/10/2021 1:05 PM
Posted by mjkrunner on 9/10/2021 12:32:00 PM (view original):

Yep, I also agree. I Iike Schwarze's thinking and would normally prefer to swap them (and I'm personally not close to completing either team), but we shouldn't change things up like that 18 days after they were posted.

At least it looks like a very strong consensus so far in the voting on that.
9/10/2021 3:05 PM
thanks for taking care of all this schwarze
9/10/2021 4:18 PM
Yep - I think you have your Official Ruling on the 70M theme. 5 players it is.

Commissioners can send me rosters. Once I validate, you can open the leagues and starting posting league numbers.
9/10/2021 4:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2021 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.