New-Peanuts & Cracker Jacks Prog -Full! Topic

Just for clarity,
In the first draft, will the AL teams be able to draft from Cleveland (because they are *unused* in the AL) ??


Right now there are 11 NL and just 4 AL teams - in future seasons the NL is going to have a very small draft pool if we are using just the unused teams
2/12/2023 12:01 PM
Posted by jgaleo062066 on 2/12/2023 10:23:00 AM (view original):
What the hell !!! I will take a 2nd team and select the Orioles and put them in the AL...My goal is to pummel The_Creeper each season...
Thanks for taking on another team!
2/12/2023 12:59 PM
To everyone:

This intended with all due respect so please take it that way. Going in to all kinds of what ifs that have not happened and may never happen is akin to trying to shuffle the boobs off the Queens in a deck of cards.

Let me see if I can address several things for the sake of clarity. There are 18 MLB teams in 1961. There will be 10 teams in the AL and 10 in the NL. That leaves 8 unused teams for each league to draft from every season - veterans and rookies. Those 8 unused teams may not be exactly the same for each league but since there is no inter-league play that means if you are an AL owner you are on equal footing with regard to the draft pool talent as every other AL owner. There's also a salary cap to help equalize things a bit.

You will also have undrafted veterans from your own league that will be included in the draft pool

Each league will have its own unique draft list. It will be easy to figure out who is available at each position. Since there is a salary cap in this league the draft list will also have the salary info for the players. I am working on the private forum now. Once I can get just a bit more of it finished, I will give you access, and you can take a look at the way information will be presented.

So, you pick your franchise. Keep everyone you want to keep for 1961. We draft, play, win / lose, trade or not then repeat. You will have access to talent above and beyond just what your franchise provides through rookies. I can't forecast all of the what ifs and maybes better than you. But I am confident you will all be able to follow along with the information.

Lastly, I am always open to putting issues before the league for a vote. So, if there are things that we need to take another look at we will certainly do that.

Sig
2/12/2023 1:41 PM (edited)
Posted by Landry19 on 2/12/2023 12:01:00 PM (view original):
Just for clarity,
In the first draft, will the AL teams be able to draft from Cleveland (because they are *unused* in the AL) ??


Right now there are 11 NL and just 4 AL teams - in future seasons the NL is going to have a very small draft pool if we are using just the unused teams
There will be 8 unused teams for each league to draft from. 18 teams in MLB, only 10 teams per league. Unused teams will not be limited to their real life league affiliation.
2/12/2023 2:15 PM
Posted by tribe_fan_09 on 2/12/2023 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The_Creeper on 2/12/2023 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Being Commish is a thankless job but they make the rules and the owners need to follow them but I do want to get clarity. Again, not trying to change rules but Specifically my SF team will need to make a lot of trades because their rookie pipeline sucks for the next 20 years....
  • Are we limiting trades to just your league during the season? AL to AL, NL to NL, etc. I do not understand why we would consider that.
  • Using the Mantle example if I am in AL and the NL cuts Mantle I cannot draft him but someone in the NL can and then trade him to AL but only in offseason? So would there then be a separate available player list during the draft? No idea how that can be tracked (Thank God I dont have to do it but I need to know who can be drafted) but that seems like a trainwreck waiting to happen.
    • Further, if I trade for an NL pick (my team is in AL), that team could have used that pick to draft Mantle (in example above) but I now have the pick and cannot use it because the AL team already has him?
    • If the concern is we dont want clones then why allow the same teams? Its going to make the career leader boards really messy. (Yes, state nerds like me look at that)
Sig....you are the Commish, its your league, your rules and owners who do not support whatever you decide, can leave. ....I just want to get clarity before putting in the effort to plan for a long time progressive.
Again, this seems like a mess to me…..I STILL think it would be easiest just to keep the two leagues completely separate (except for the World Series).
Saying any “monkey business” can be averted by allowing 12 veto votes is NOT a solution….most leagues can’t get even SIX veto votes to stop something.

maybe this whole issue needs to be put to a vote before we start.
I am supportive of the league voting or discussing any issue. However, from my experience in running leagues I can tell you that most all of the what ifs that are presented in the classifieds never come to fruition.
2/12/2023 2:17 PM
I’ll give this a try if you’ll have me.

Baltimore Orioles in the National League
2/13/2023 11:08 AM
Posted by firecapt on 2/13/2023 11:08:00 AM (view original):
I’ll give this a try if you’ll have me.

Baltimore Orioles in the National League
Welcome to the league!
2/13/2023 2:38 PM
I am going to fill up the AL with the Kansas City Athletics
2/13/2023 2:55 PM
Posted by sigblend on 2/13/2023 2:55:00 PM (view original):
I am going to fill up the AL with the Kansas City Athletics
Welcome!
2/14/2023 1:11 PM
Posted by pmars2001 on 2/14/2023 1:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sigblend on 2/13/2023 2:55:00 PM (view original):
I am going to fill up the AL with the Kansas City Athletics
Welcome!
Thanks!
2/14/2023 2:35 PM
◂ Prev 12345
New-Peanuts & Cracker Jacks Prog -Full! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.