Posted by contrarian23 on 10/1/2026 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/30/2026 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Want to talk about trap guys in progressives? The guys that look good but end up not helping teams win?
Something like the slighty above average OF's in double season progressives? The dudes that are just a little better league average for multiple years in a row so you take them and they end up hitting 7th and hitting .260 for forever.
This is probably one of the most important ideas that differentiates the truly great progressive owners: their understanding of replacement value. Knowing who to keep, cut, draft. Which can vary significantly from league to league based on size of the player pool, number of prog teams in the league, and any additional rules like salary-based draft formulas, contract/salary caps, etc. The same player who is a solid long-term guy in one league becomes an albatross in another. Great owners understand this concept and ruthlessly build their rosters around it.
I totally agree w/ C23 here. This is a stats/probability game. Things like leadership/intangibles from RL do NOT matter. Many times I have traded a "name" player for a haul of players that made my team better or guys who would rather lose with a legend than actually address holes they have. I once traded Mike Schmidt lottery pick one year for a lower 1st, 2nd, Buddy Bell, Jim Rooker. I was told I was crazy for doing the deal.
Schmidt had a HoF career in that league. Here is what I got.
- Buddy Bell 10+ seasons at 3B (4 GG, .290 average, 900 RBI.)
- 1st was an OF (Gary Matthews I think) who hit .290 / great OBP for a 7-8 years.
- SP (Jim Rooker) went 60-20 in 4 seasons.
- 2nd SP (Montefusco) who had 2 very good seasons for me.
Won a couple of titles, made playoffs 5+ times....the guy who got Schmidt won a couple MVPs and made it to one playoff in 10yrs. Who Won that trade?