Don't know if I have ever seen this talked about Topic

So I know playing time helps improvement and WE. Does playcalling help as well? So if I have WR that I am trying to improve, if I call more pass plays will that help him improve (obviously along with him actually being on the field) more than if I have a more blananced approach with run plays being incorporated at a similar rate to pass plays?
8/21/2026 3:27 PM
Posted by waregl72 on 8/21/2026 3:27:00 PM (view original):
So I know playing time helps improvement and WE. Does playcalling help as well? So if I have WR that I am trying to improve, if I call more pass plays will that help him improve (obviously along with him actually being on the field) more than if I have a more blananced approach with run plays being incorporated at a similar rate to pass plays?
From what I recall years ago one of the developers mentioned practicing a formation grows formation IQ and playing in the game using that formation doesn’t affect formation IQ growth at all. I confirmed this by using formations in my playbook I was not practicing and players’ formation IQ did not improve for the non-practiced formation.
8/21/2026 3:35 PM
Posted by majique on 8/21/2026 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by waregl72 on 8/21/2026 3:27:00 PM (view original):
So I know playing time helps improvement and WE. Does playcalling help as well? So if I have WR that I am trying to improve, if I call more pass plays will that help him improve (obviously along with him actually being on the field) more than if I have a more blananced approach with run plays being incorporated at a similar rate to pass plays?
From what I recall years ago one of the developers mentioned practicing a formation grows formation IQ and playing in the game using that formation doesn’t affect formation IQ growth at all. I confirmed this by using formations in my playbook I was not practicing and players’ formation IQ did not improve for the non-practiced formation.
I was talking more in terms of like GI and Tech growth because they get more reps in.the plays that position is designed for. Not as much formation IQ.
8/21/2026 3:45 PM
Posted by waregl72 on 8/21/2026 3:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by majique on 8/21/2026 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by waregl72 on 8/21/2026 3:27:00 PM (view original):
So I know playing time helps improvement and WE. Does playcalling help as well? So if I have WR that I am trying to improve, if I call more pass plays will that help him improve (obviously along with him actually being on the field) more than if I have a more blananced approach with run plays being incorporated at a similar rate to pass plays?
From what I recall years ago one of the developers mentioned practicing a formation grows formation IQ and playing in the game using that formation doesn’t affect formation IQ growth at all. I confirmed this by using formations in my playbook I was not practicing and players’ formation IQ did not improve for the non-practiced formation.
I was talking more in terms of like GI and Tech growth because they get more reps in.the plays that position is designed for. Not as much formation IQ.
My bad, Eric. I'll try something definitive by removing blocking practice for my TEs and have them block during a game or two and see what happens to the current blocking rating. I'm betting the rating drops.
8/21/2026 7:16 PM (edited)
So here is another reason to ask this question. On my DII team I will have a SO starting at QB. I have thought about running a lot more because my RB is a SR. Will my QB not develop as much because all he is doing is handing off the ball instead of throwing it? That is what I am getting at with this whole discussion. Will my WR not develop as much because they aren't running routes? Is there a technique and GI development issue here because they aren't getting game experience at what they are supposed to be doing?
10/8/2026 1:51 PM
From personal experience, I can't speak for anyone else. Per my player settings and playbooks, I haven't noticed any difference. For example, I do have a full run playbook, and I haven't noticed any drop-off, except for "WE" on my receivers. They are not getting enough playing time. Don't worry about that too much; as long as their other attributes are growing, you'll be fine. The same can be said for "LB" if you're not playing them enough, but that will dictate formation. Again, same scenario: "WE" might drop, but as long as other attributes are continuing to grow, etc.

From what I've gathered from the forums and advice from the old-timers. Have your system and recruit to that system to the best of your abilities. It was mentioned to me in another chat that some of these guys have been playing so long, they know who to recruit and what playbook(s) to run against pretty much any formation.
10/8/2026 5:48 PM
Don't know if I have ever seen this talked about Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.