The New Collective Bargaining Agreement and HBD Topic

I would love to put a bug in WIS' ear that now that MLB has a new 5 year labor deal, maybe it is time to update HBD so that we are not still playing by the pre 2011 CBA. Make it happen!
12/9/2016 7:57 AM
What changes would this see implemented to HBD? I'm not all that familiar with the CBA agreement.
12/9/2016 8:13 AM
Type A free agents would no longer be as big a deal.
12/9/2016 11:18 AM
So, pretty much take out the whole spend the whole prospect budget on Internationals approach?
12/9/2016 1:48 PM
New collective bargaining elements include:
- Rule 5 picks costing 100k instead of 50k
- minimum DL stint changed to 10 days from 15 days
- Type A (or qualifying offer) compensation changes in a way that is outside HBD's reality, but teams lose either their third highest pick (those who receive revenue sharing), their 2nd and 5th picks (those who pay revenue sharing), or their 2nd and 500k in international money if they are neither. Note the Type A already had changed to a qualifying offer system, where the team had to make a qualifying offer (which paid them a lot) in order for said player to give them back compensation. you only got compensation if they turned down the QO and signed elsewhere. Now they have to turn down the QO, and if they sign for more than 50 million total, they are a Type A and get a draft choice "after the first round", and if it is less then 50 million the are a type B (and I'm not real sure what the type B draft picks are now)
- There is now a hard cap on international signings and it is between 4.75 and 5.75 depending on revenue. Note that this is not per signing, this is a cap on total budget and they have included significant penalties to any teams trying to find ways to breech that budget. There are also age and experience requirements that determine whether these international players qualify as prospects or players so that older players can sign ML deals still
-
12/9/2016 4:34 PM
And didn't WIS say it was going to develop an app for HBD?
12/9/2016 8:25 PM
SweetSalve, There are no more B Comp picks. Have not been so for 5 years. I think that qualifying offers should be programmable. So should the rule 4 draft and international signing pools. Competitive Balance picks don't belong since there are no big market/small market franchises. Other than that, the rules are all programmable.

The alternative is to continue playing this legacy game with rules long ago out of date.
12/9/2016 10:52 PM
Will it bring in enough new owners to compensate for the ones who leave because they don't like change?
12/9/2016 11:30 PM
The qualifying offer would be weird in HBD. While easy to figure out what it would be (MLB's is the average of the top 125 salaries), but you would have to come up with an algorithm to randomly figure out who takes and rejects the QO. And based on MLB's new rules on compensation for whether the free agent signs for $50 million or not, what is that level in HBD? The salary structures are so different.

The minimum salaries will be going up, too, so does our salary cap go up? I would have to think so.

Would internationals go away based on the new spending limits? Or would HBD go to an international draft? (I'd be OK with that.)

Yes, this game is due for a major update. Hopefully WIS at least addresses whether it will update soon.
12/9/2016 11:43 PM
Posted by ttnorm on 12/9/2016 10:52:00 PM (view original):
SweetSalve, There are no more B Comp picks. Have not been so for 5 years. I think that qualifying offers should be programmable. So should the rule 4 draft and international signing pools. Competitive Balance picks don't belong since there are no big market/small market franchises. Other than that, the rules are all programmable.

The alternative is to continue playing this legacy game with rules long ago out of date.
I only used the term Type B for reference. The new CBA does indeed add a second tier of compensation level free agents based on the contract they sign
12/10/2016 10:17 AM
Bottom line is it would all take work and there's no way they are putting time and effort into a game that isn't generating new owners and can't fill existing worlds
12/10/2016 10:20 AM
Posted by sweetsalve on 12/10/2016 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Bottom line is it would all take work and there's no way they are putting time and effort into a game that isn't generating new owners and can't fill existing worlds
So their business model is essentially bleed the current customers dry I guess.
12/10/2016 12:26 PM
Just their pattern...
12/10/2016 1:06 PM
Posted by drummer_66 on 12/9/2016 11:43:00 PM (view original):
The qualifying offer would be weird in HBD. While easy to figure out what it would be (MLB's is the average of the top 125 salaries), but you would have to come up with an algorithm to randomly figure out who takes and rejects the QO. And based on MLB's new rules on compensation for whether the free agent signs for $50 million or not, what is that level in HBD? The salary structures are so different.

The minimum salaries will be going up, too, so does our salary cap go up? I would have to think so.

Would internationals go away based on the new spending limits? Or would HBD go to an international draft? (I'd be OK with that.)

Yes, this game is due for a major update. Hopefully WIS at least addresses whether it will update soon.
You put an international draft in here and there will be more tanking.
12/10/2016 1:58 PM
I think the current international budgeting encourages tanking far more. Too many teams keep their salaries in the 20-30 M range in order to transfer 30+ M to their prospect budget for internationals. An international draft should get rid of that strategy.
12/12/2016 1:44 AM
12 Next ▸
The New Collective Bargaining Agreement and HBD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.