Does anyone want to hear my story? Topic

Please stay with this story, it will get interesting. I promise. Please deal with the boring backstory. Also, I am not a writer so I apologize for any incorrect tense changes, grammar or spelling errors.

For the past few months I have not been enjoying this game as much as I used to.

In the beginning, I loved this game. The strategy, the competition, the chess match of recruiting, I loved it all. When my first son was born, I was not as competitive and focused less on this hobby. When my second son was born, I stopped playing for a few years. Once they got a little older, I came back. I missed the game and the competition and was glad I came back. When cjsweat started his podcast, it sparked me to pay even more attention to this game and spend more time on it. I even finally got back to my dream job, Penn State, in Leahy. Then something happened and it has turned me off to the game. (Stay tuned, I will get back to that)

If you coach in D1A in a lot of worlds, you may know me or at least have seen my username. I have been around since the start of GD. I have found that most coaches are competitive and honest. This is a story about someone who is not. It is even a bit of a detective story. Does anyone want to hear my story?
2/10/2017 9:05 AM
I'm hooked. Lay it on us Ol Hoss.
2/10/2017 9:09 AM
Everyone likes a good whodunit
2/10/2017 9:17 AM
I'll take mojolad in the kitchen with the lead pipe.
2/10/2017 9:20 AM
More background, this time on collusion. What does it take to tip a recruiting battle? Sometimes only a few hundred dollars. How about if you could save thousands or tens of thousands of dollars? That could make a huge difference. Say farm out all of your scouting and save your money for CVs and HVs, etc. How about use another account to scout for high potential, low rated recruits that you could sign on the cheap and save money to battle for high potential, high rated stars (the ones everyone wants). How about this formula, use the second account to battle a common foe for recruits. It makes them spend their money and allows your primary account to win his battle. Or use your second account to target one or two of your opponents recruits. It causes them to recruit differently than they normally would, they stay away from battling other users for recruits to save money.
2/10/2017 9:36 AM
Here is my story
I recently found myself being targeted by another coach during recruiting. The only goal of this coach appears to be to prevent me from signing any RBs. I have not had any interaction with this coach before this and in fact avoided him because of an incident he had with another coach about a year ago. The coach is akite30. (You may remember a problem he had with esf0242 in late 2015. If not, check out this thread -> https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=488314 ) But he is not the real target of this essay. I started to consider why he was targeting me. What was he trying to gain? The rest of his recruiting class seems to only be aimed at saving money to steal my RBs. It didn’t seem like a coach concerned with winning games. So I looked at his history. He never seemed concerned with winning or putting a good team on the field.

I started me thinking. You can’t win games that way. But you could help someone else win games. So who could benefit?
2/10/2017 9:37 AM
My recruiting foes? Megalladon at Syracuse, caesari at Rutgers, diamondjim69 at Maryland, robert_porta at Navy, and huskerfan26 at Temple. None of these fit the profile. I could find no link for any of them. Most I have coached against for years without issue. No one can be a tougher recruiting problem than Robert_porta but he is always fair, honest and never complains or seems vindictive. Caesari and diamondjim have both been around for a long time and are competitive, good coaches. Huskerfan and I have bumped head in Leahy and Wilkinson A LOT, but I have a lot of respect for him and he doesn’t seem to be the type. I don’t know much about megalladon, but he hasn’t really profited from the issues in anyway so he seems clear also.
2/10/2017 9:37 AM
How about my division mates? Surely they would like to see me struggle. None of them fit the profile. Hawkfan1992 has been at Iowa a long time. He always has the Hawkeyes competitive and you can tell he gets frustrated sometimes, but I seem to remember him bumping heads with akite in the past. Buckeyedick at Ohio State. Buckeye has been able to succeed across multiple worlds, always stays close to Ohio State and akite is not in the other worlds to help him there. How about winstonis at Notre Dame? He only coaches in Leahy, won the conference last season after building up to over a few seasons. But Notre Dame was the target of akite last time he had an issue and winstonis came several seasons after that. None of them seem to fit either.
2/10/2017 9:38 AM
How about my main opponent in the other division? Tigerpark135. He was the target of esf0242’s original charge about collusion. He sent in a ticket to customer support before esf did to clear his name. So I looked into where the akite and tigerpark have crossed paths.

The following, very lengthy essay is what I have found and why I believe the two accounts are the same person with akite being used like a bodyguard account for tigerpark during recruiting.

2/10/2017 9:39 AM
It all starts in Leahy D3
Tigerpark joined Leahy in season 54 at Randolph Macon in Ashland, Virginia. He stayed there until season 82. He made Randolph into a national power. Won 3 National Championships, appeared in 3 other NC games.

Akite30 joined Leahy in season 59. From season 62-64 he coached at Shenandoah in Winchester, VA. 120 miles from Ashland. From season 65-76 he coached at Hampden-Sydney in Hampden-Sydney, VA. 82 miles from Ashland. Both are perfect places to influence tigerpark’s recruiting efforts. He made the playoffs a few times but generally stayed off the radar. He coached from 77-84 at Bloomsburg and Bluffton but had no real impact at either mostly losing. He left after season 84.
Tigerpark bounces around and moves up.
After Randolph Macon, tigerpark went to Fairmont State in d2 for season 83, went to the playoffs and moved up to d1AA Tennessee-Chattanooga. At UTC he spent 2 seasons with winning records, enough to move up to D1A. Virginia Tech from season 86-90 he went 36-32 in five seasons , made 2 bowls and moved down to Central Washington in D1AA for season 91-92. Then E. Tennessee St, then Penn. Between season 83 and 94, tigerpark jumped around a lot and was very mediocre. In season 95 he landed at Ball State and had a very successful 7 season run. It was good enough to land him the job at Michigan for season 102.
Akite comes back, bumbles around d3 and then moves up quickly.

Akite comes back in season 91 and bumbles around D3 until season 107. He doen’t really win anything or do much. It doesn’t even appear that he is trying to win. (No easy feat in a sparsely populated D3 level). He stays close to tigerpark for seasons 91-92 (220 miles away in the Northwest), 95 – 101 (18 miles away in Indiana) and 102-107 (36 miles away in Michigan). Notice how akite moves each time tigerpark does. He stays really close to him. At first I almost dismissed this time period. But looking at it, it is almost genius. Who would accuse a struggling D3 coach of helping someone at the D1A level. Just use one account for scouting to save money for the other account. Identify high potential cheap recruits for the D1A guy to sign to save money to battle on more expensive recruits. If you are not trying to win with the first account, it can really help your second account.
2/10/2017 9:40 AM
Michigan dominates and akite moves up to the Big Ten

Tigerpark starts to dominate the Big Ten at Michigan. 6 straight CC 106-111. 2 NC appearances. His biggest competition comes esf0242 at Notre Dame. Esf won the CC from 103-105 and then again from 112-114. Suddenly, akite gets inspired to move up. 1 season at D2 then 4 at D1AA. Dayton is 196 miles from Ann Arbor (seasons 109-112). Close enough to scout and save money. Season 113, akite moves up to Illinois in the same conference.
Akite messes with esf0242, Michigan returns to the top of the Big Ten and akite disappears

Shortly after arriving at Illinois, akite starts to mess with esf’s recruiting classes. In season 113 he overspends on a top OL (esf had all but locked up) while saving money on all other recruits (walk on caliber, check guess if you don’t believe me) , then doesn’t sign the OL. In season 114, akite and tigerpark rip into esf’s recruiting class and destroy it. Other coaches see the blood in the water and pick apart what is left. In a move I have never seen before, esf had customer support remove him from Notre Dame before recruiting is over. I believe the whole experience drove a great coach out of the game for a short while. Don’t believe me, check out this forum thread. https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=488314
After this happens, Michigan rises back to the top, akite sticks around until season 117 then disappears again. Notice in the thread that akite mentions receiving recruiting advice from tigerpark and esf and liking what tigerpark had to offer better. So tigerpark even got esf to give away some of his recruiting strategy.
I leave the comfort of LSU for my dream job at PSU for season 121, Michigan starts to slump and akite is back

I was super excited to be at my old alma mater. I got on a roll and won 3 CC in 4 seasons, including a national championship and another NC appearance. I even won my first 6 games against tigerpark, all close and all exciting. I have to say that I considered it an accomplishment to beat such an accomplished coach. Season 125, akite shows up again, this time at Wisconsin.
2/10/2017 9:41 AM
123 Next ▸
Does anyone want to hear my story? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.