I don't think I've ever seen an umpire call this before. Here's the rule:

e) The pitcher makes an illegal pitch; A quick pitch is an illegal pitch. Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter's box. With runners on base the penalty is a balk; with no runners on base, it is a ball. The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.

It looked to me like the batter was set.

In any event, Stroman was furious about it, but took his anger out on the Angels and went the distance, winning 6-2.
4/24/2017 9:29 AM
now lets see if they ever disallow a HBP because the batter didn't try to ge tout of the way
4/24/2017 10:02 AM
Looks like a terrible call. The hitter's feet are set and his bat is upright and in a ready position.
4/24/2017 10:49 AM
I think this was a bad call, but I've seen quick pitches called plenty of times. Usually only for not coming set with runners on base, but this isn't the first time I've seen it with the bases empty.
4/25/2017 1:45 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/25/2017 1:45:00 AM (view original):
I think this was a bad call, but I've seen quick pitches called plenty of times. Usually only for not coming set with runners on base, but this isn't the first time I've seen it with the bases empty.
It's the first time I recall seeing it with the bases empty. It seems to me like one of those rules that's never called, like the neighbourhood play at second before the rule change. An ump isn't wrong to call it, but it's gotta be frustrating to players when 95% of umps won't react to it.
4/25/2017 10:53 PM
In case anyone ever asks you, "What's the most spectacular play ever by Chris Coghlan?"

5/18/2017 1:47 AM (edited)
Posted by Jtpsops on 4/25/2017 10:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/25/2017 1:45:00 AM (view original):
It's the first time I recall seeing it with the bases empty. It seems to me like one of those rules that's never called, like the neighbourhood play at second before the rule change. An ump isn't wrong to call it, but it's gotta be frustrating to players when 95% of umps won't react to it.
I'm pretty sure Joel Peralta was called for one a few years ago in a game I was watching. Don't remember who he was pitching for at the time. Also, for whatever reason I don't think they awarded a ball to the batter. I think the ump just ruled it no pitch.
4/26/2017 2:40 AM
Since I'm watching a lot more baseball than I have in recent years, I'll retitle this thread so that I (and others!) can have a place to post about things we're seeing this season.

I just watched Aaron Judge go 6 for 12 with 3 HR and 2 BB in a series against my Blue Jays. He looks to be solid defensively, too. What kind of stats is he going to wind up with? Right now he's got a line of .330/.433/.818 with 13 HR in 26 games. I can't imagine he'd keep up that kind of pace over a full season, but I don't think he's Shane Spencer, either. I'm thinking maybe a .300 average with 40+ HR?

And what a specimen this guy is. I saw him talking to some Jays during batting practice and he towered over them all.
5/4/2017 1:02 PM
I don't think Judge winds up with a .300 average or 40 HRs this year. I'm not saying he won't ever get those numbers, but I just don't see him having an MVP season as an almost-rookie. His home run totals from his first 3 seasons as a professional were 21, 20, and 23. As a strong guy with a huge head start he'll likely crush that trend this year, but I don't think to the tune of 40. I see more like .270 with 30-32 HRs.
5/4/2017 1:44 PM
I'm with dahsdebater. Judge is still "pretty new" and the league is still putting together the book to find his swing holes (and given his mammoth size, there have to be some). I'm not discounting his ability to adjust or improve as time goes on, but I believe it's going to be tough for Judge to hit .300 I see him at .265-.275 with 30 homers.
5/4/2017 2:06 PM
I am somewhere in between crazystengel and dahsdebater. Since I remember Shane Spencer's 1998, I have been hesitant to go beyond being very happy as a Yankees fan that this is happening. But he does, as crazystengel suggests, seem much more talented by far than Spencer even seemed like he would be even at that moment. Judge seems to have Mickey Mantle potential. But he might end up not adjusting to the adjustments, as redwingscup argues.

Still, they never found the holes in Hank Aaron's swing either. Or Babe Ruth's. So who knows?

Bill James was asked about him on his online website and wrote only when asked who was the most similar player to explode as an outlyer like this "Dave Nicholson". Which I thought was very Red Sox of him, and for once not really an objective announcement, since he writes about Mookie Betts like he was Willie Mays.

I do see, and Yankees announcers make clear, that Judge has made a big adjustment, not swinging at pitches outside the strike zone, very disciplined.

So I am waiting to see, but cautiously optimistic, writing as a Yankees fan.
5/6/2017 2:48 PM
Sweet Kevin Pillar catch from tonight's Toronto-Cleveland game.
5/9/2017 2:18 AM
Kevin Kiermaier
Kevin Pillar

whos the better defensive centerfielder.
5/9/2017 8:10 AM
Kevin K's already won two Gold Gloves while Kevin P has yet to win one, but I read where Bill James rated Pillar higher; being a Toronto homer and a Bill James fan, I'll agree!
5/9/2017 9:12 AM
Interesting night to pose that question since Pillar made the diving catch and Kiermaier let a ground ball single go under his glove in ugly enough fashion that Lorenzo Cain touched all four bases on his way around the infield. Sucks that one of them could be considered the 2nd best Kevin playing CF these days.
5/9/2017 9:50 AM
1|2|3...17 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.