Do Admins Have Different "Vision"? Topic

We have a controversy brewing with an Admin staff member who is also a player in Yost. He seems to be uncanny in battles and seems to never lose a battle. Recently, he posted a taunt on several major boards where he indicated he knew how much money I had to spend on the recruit on which we were battling. Nevermind the attempt to collude by posting on every major board in my recruiting area the issue and his estimation on the amount of $$$ I have left to recruit (I will term this - "soft" collusion since he volunteered the info without a quid-pro-quo agreement). The issue I and several other owners have expressed is do WIS Staff Members have a different vision than non-staff players? In particular, but not limited to, can they see the recruiting budgets and/or expenditures of other teams? If they can, what is the policy regarding the use of this information among staff members who also play the game? This became an interesting thought after the WIS Staff member/player posted as part of his taunt:
"I'm guessing you spent at least $20K more than I did, which with just 8 scholarships to fill, probably doesn't leave you with much money, am I right? Especially since we were battling over Williams and McClendon and I can guess what you have into each of those guys. Enjoy that #1 RB from my backyard as well BTW. I just hope this personal vendetta against me doesn't sink the rest of your class due to your limited budget. Good luck this season!"

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? Does anyone know the answer to the above question?
7/26/2017 2:16 PM (edited)
Posted by ermackey on 7/26/2017 2:16:00 PM (view original):
We have a controversy brewing with an Admin staff member who is also a player in Yost. He seems to be uncanny in battles and seems to never lose a battle. Recently, he posted a taunt on several major boards where he indicated he knew how much money I had to spend on the recruit on which we were battling. Nevermind the attempt to collude by posting on every major board in my recruiting area the issue and his estimation on the amount of $$$ I have left to recruit (I will term this - "soft" collusion since he volunteered the info without a quid-pro-quo agreement). The issue I and several other owners have expressed is do WIS Staff Members have a different vision than non-staff players? In particular, but not limited to, can they see the recruiting budgets and/or expenditures of other teams? If they can, what is the policy regarding the use of this information among staff members who also play the game? This became an interesting thought after the WIS Staff member/player posted as part of his taunt:
"I'm guessing you spent at least $20K more than I did, which with just 8 scholarships to fill, probably doesn't leave you with much money, am I right? Especially since we were battling over Williams and McClendon and I can guess what you have into each of those guys. Enjoy that #1 RB from my backyard as well BTW. I just hope this personal vendetta against me doesn't sink the rest of your class due to your limited budget. Good luck this season!"

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? Does anyone know the answer to the above question?
That's complete bullshit that a member of WIS Staff posted something like that, btw. Not only is it completely unprofessional, but it's also an implicit attempt to entice other rivals to lay siege to your class, due to the sharing such inside information as cost estimates on a specific battle that he has with you. And with our luck, he's probably the guy answering tickets, so you can't even trust that this issue would be addressed if you send one in.
7/26/2017 2:47 PM
Even JConte didn't make his cheating this obvious.

WIS will undoubtedly dismiss this as common trash talk, but it's a horrible look for employees to throw out math like this. It's reasonable to assume employees can access this data.
7/26/2017 3:50 PM
Here's my input on this to the extent it furthers the discussion:
1. "guggendr" is the coach at Cincinnati and apparently a WIS employee. "ermackey" (the OP) is the coach at Ohio State.
2. They've been going back and forth with one another for many seasons now, each accusing the other of sandbagging on recruits and jumping in late on each other's targets.
3.Yesterday, on Yost signing day morning, guggendr posted the following to the ACC. Big East, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC chat boards:
7/25 7:53 AM guggendr Cincinnati
(Big East)
Oh well hey Mr. Mackey! Fancy seeing you here, and on the 6 AM cycle right before signings. Will you get over yourself please? This is starting to get REALLY old. I am curious though, what you spent to get back into the mix on Barajas. After the ...
(Big East)
...first 24 hours, I had to put in a very significant amount of effort to beat out Tennessee over the next two cycles. I put in a little more on the third cycle, because you never know, and now, here you are. So given what I put into him about two ...
(Big East)
...days ago, I'm guessing you spent at least $20K more than I did, which with just 8 scholarships to fill, probably doesn't leave you with much money, am I right? Especially since we were battling over Williams and McClendon and I can guess ...
(Big East)
...what you have into each of those guys. Enjoy that #1 RB from my backyard as well BTW. I just hope this personal vendetta against me doesn't sink the rest of your class due to your limited budget. Good luck this season!
7/26/2017 4:09 PM
The intent of posting that message to multiple boards is crystal clear, even if it's not something that can be absolutely proven. This is a very clear attempt at tacit collusion. I hope no other coaches in Yost D-IA took the bait.
7/26/2017 4:12 PM
It was not my intent to identify the person publicly. It is not worth someone losing a job.
7/26/2017 4:14 PM
If guggendr is "cheating" he is doing a poor job at it considering his overall record and lack of success. I'm sure this is not the first time or last time that coaches at D1 in the same state have had a rivalry. I guess we will find out a lot more when these two teams play in the 4th game of the season.
7/26/2017 4:16 PM
FWIW, I did not "jump in late" on this recruit. Here is my recruiting log for the player in question.
Jerry Barajas Am I dreaming? Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 12:06 PM
Devin Wheeler I think we're in with Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 6:05 AM
Jerry Barajas Back in the fall? Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 6:05 AM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, Coach. Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 6:05 AM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, Coach. Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 6:05 AM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas's visit Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Devin Wheeler We're on solid ground... Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas I felt at home on campus. Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, but... Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas Beautiful campus Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas Not interested Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, Coach. Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas Beautiful campus Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 3:07 AM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas doesn't want to visit. Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 12:05 AM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas's visit Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 12:05 AM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit - Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 12:05 AM
Jerry Barajas Not interested Jerry Barajas 7/25/17 12:05 AM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit - Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas's visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit for Jerry Barajas. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas seemed to enjoy himself. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas is not interested. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas is not interested. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas No Thanks. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Undecided Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Undecided Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Ohio State visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas I had fun seeing Ohio State Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Not interested Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Ohio State Campus Visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 9:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit - Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas seemed to enjoy himself. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas's visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas seemed to enjoy himself. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit for Jerry Barajas. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Jerry Barajas No Thanks. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Ohio State Campus Visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Jerry Barajas No Thanks. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Ohio State Campus Visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 6:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas's visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, but... Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas seemed to enjoy himself. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 12:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas is not interested. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 12:05 PM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, but... Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 12:05 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:07 AM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas's visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:07 AM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit for Jerry Barajas. Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:07 AM
Jerry Barajas Ohio State Campus Visit Jerry Barajas 7/24/17 3:07 AM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit - Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 3:08 PM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit for Jerry Barajas. Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 3:08 PM
Jerry Barajas I had fun seeing Ohio State Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 3:08 PM
Jerry Barajas Not interested Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 3:08 PM
Jerry Barajas I had fun seeing Ohio State Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 3:08 PM
Devin Wheeler Good trip to scout Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas is not interested. Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Devin Wheeler Jerry Barajas seemed to enjoy himself. Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Devin Wheeler Campus visit for Jerry Barajas. Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, but... Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Jerry Barajas Thanks, but... Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Jerry Barajas No Thanks. Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
Jerry Barajas Undecided Jerry Barajas 7/23/17 12:07 PM
7/26/2017 4:19 PM
Posted by jayhawkgrant on 7/26/2017 4:16:00 PM (view original):
If guggendr is "cheating" he is doing a poor job at it considering his overall record and lack of success. I'm sure this is not the first time or last time that coaches at D1 in the same state have had a rivalry. I guess we will find out a lot more when these two teams play in the 4th game of the season.
Part of JConte's strategy was to sandbag for literally dozens of seasons. You don't have to win to cheat.
7/26/2017 4:20 PM
Since guggendr has been outed, here is the past history as it is logged in my Ticket History with WIS. Makes me wonder if guggendr was the responder. Regardless, I am not impressed wth their "investigation" up to this point.
Date User
10/18/2016 3:20 PM ermackey
One of your employees players under the name guggendr. Every year he waits until I recruit my players and then he begins recruiting them. At this point I believe he is intentionally engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct and is intentionally grieving my team. I furthermore believe he is using his position as a staff member to gain an unfair advantage. He always seems to have "just enough" to squeak by and get the players. It is my direct belief that he is somehow looking at my recruiting and knows my budgetary situation and targets. Please research this and make this stop. If he is not directly cheating, he is definately targeting my team and recruits. This needs to stop.
10/18/2016 3:42 PM Customer Support
Hi Emil,

We can assure you that all of our Site Staff members abide by the same Fair Play Guidelines and Terms of Use policies that all users agree to when they sign up.

Could you provide some specific examples that would make you think guggendr is recruiting unfairly?

As far as intentionally targeting your recruits, you both have top DI schools in the state of Ohio, so a lot of the top recruits in and around Ohio will be within similar distances from Ohio State and Cincinnati. It would make sense that you typically battle for a few recruits every year.

Thank you.
10/18/2016 4:08 PM ermackey
Thanks for the reply.

The first and most important is the pattern. This is not the first year. For the last three seasons, he has waited until the 2nd or third day to start recruiting players I have already turned "green." I believe he does that to minimize his risk in the player marketplace. Once he sees who is recruiting what players, he seems to focus on my players rather than compete multiple teams. You can see this now in his recruiting. All of his recruits are considering either me or Louisville. This is the same thing every year.

Second, guggendr and I have a history. I have called him out for this behavior and I believe he is using his position to retaliate.

Just look at his recruiting this year. If you can look-up prior years. If you can do that and do not see a pattern, I'll drop it. But others in the leage have noticed it and called him out before. If it will help, I can start a chat about it with other players. MANY have commented about his recruiting tactics. What concerns me is the laser precision. I really do think he is looking at my budget. NOBODY is this good every year.
10/18/2016 4:12 PM ermackey
You can also look at the Big East chat archived over the last few seasons. His recruiting behavior is well-documented there.
10/19/2016 11:12 AM Customer Support
Hi Emil,

We will start off by saying that we can only review recruiting issues during the recruiting season, as no data is archived. We also do not archive league chats from previous seasons.

It is discouraged, and puts your school at risk of not signing top quality players, but it isn't a violation to recruit later in the recruiting process. We can't realistically expect every coach to recruit every 3 hours every day during the recruiting period. That being said, it does not look like guggendr has arrived late on any of the recruits he has sought after this recruiting period. He has been recruiting as early and as often as anyone else on the recruits considering his school.

Again, with the geographical location of each school, it would make sense that Cincinnati would battle both Ohio State and Louisville every year for the top recruits in the region.

For this season, you have 8 open scholarships and Cincinnati has 14. That would give Cincy more money to spend on higher level recruits if a coach were to spend wisely on the rest of the open scholarships. That could possibly make it more difficult for you to recruit against a school that has more money to spend.

We do not see any evidence of any sort of collusion, or terms of use violations, in this recruiting period.

Please feel free to update us in future seasons if you continue to see suspicious activity. We would ask that you keep in mind that you are going to have a lot of battles over top recruits with schools that are near you.

Thank you!
11/21/2016 1:25 AM ermackey
Just so you are aware, guggendr is at it again. No activity until this last recruiting period when, SURPRISE, he is targeting all of my players again. His strategy is obvious - wait until I am invested and then go after my players. If he wasn't one of your employees, I would appreciate it more. But the fact he works for you should be an embarrassment. I am not sure what you want to call it (harassment, targeting, etc...), but it is neither good sportsmanship nor a reflection of ethical business for your company.
11/21/2016 2:43 PM Customer Support
Emil,

We do not see any evidence of targeting or collusion here. You have 5 common targets that each of you are recruiting, all within 250 miles of each of your campuses. Out of your 15 open scholarships and his 12 open scholarships, this does not seem like an issue given your close proximity.

Thank you.
11/21/2016 2:49 PM ermackey
There are more than 5. He already flipped at least three of them so they are red on his end.
11/21/2016 2:59 PM Customer Support
Recruits that you have both put a considerable amount of money into and we would consider a recruiting battle:

DB Antonio Smith
OL David Smith
OL James Elliott

There are two others that are on both of your lists, but we would not consider you to be in a battle for:

LB Edgar Swift
RB William McCullough

There are no other players that are on either of your recruiting lists at any priority. Thank you.
7/26/2017 4:24 PM
We discussed it on the ACC board since it seemed strange that it would be shared with us. Another coach and I felt guggendr's intent was to encourage other nearby power conference schools to take a look at Ohio State's targets. guggendr responded:
7/25 10:14 AM guggendr Cincinnati
(Big East)
I generally just keep quiet and to myself but it is irritating when this guy does something that he complains about consistently.
7/25 10:11 AM guggendr Cincinnati
(Big East)
I'm not in any communication with anyone in this world. I was just following his lead for publicly blasting me a few seasons back for "poaching" a recruit we were both targeting. He just has a double standard for recruiting practices.
7/26/2017 4:24 PM
6/19/2017 6:54 AM lyonzfan37
I had put a number of actions on QB Walter Brown...the amount spent was in excess of 90k. These actions were to process on the 12:00 AM cycle. However, these actions have been applied to QB Travis Williams.

I have been suspicious about the activity of your site staff member that has Cincinnati. The only explanation I can come up with is that my actions have been moved from Walter Brown to Travis Williams to better his chances of winning the player and harming my recruiting at the same time. This is unsatisfactory. I would like to have this matter looked into. There is no doubt I applied actions to QB Walter Brown and not Travis Williams.
6/19/2017 7:17 AM lyonzfan37
When I say in excess of 90k. I mean in total. Something in the vicinity of 10 HC home visits plus 15-20 campus visits. It was 30k in actions on the 12:00AM cycle.
6/19/2017 9:53 AM lyonzfan37
I want timestamps of the times that I put actions into QB Walter Brown, the timestamps for when these actions were withdrawn and the timestamps when the actions were applied to QB Travis Williams.
6/19/2017 11:27 AM Customer Support
Hi Kevin,

There is some data regarding to recruiting that we keep private and cannot share for any reason. Here is what we can share:

We can tell you that you sent Williams an Assistant Coach Scout Trip at 7:45 AM on 6/18.
On 6/18, between 1:00 PM and 1:05 PM you sent 26 Campus Visits, although some were "rejected" and a promise of 75% playing time.
Between 10:00 PM and 10:10 PM you sent 24 Campus Visits and 24 Home Visits.

Brown was sent an Assistant Coach Scout Trip on 6/18 at 7:45 AM.
Between 8:36 PM and 8:42 PM you sent a total of 99 Campus Visits, like Williams, some of these visits were "rejected". You also sent a promise of 75% playing time during this time frame.

Keep in mind that cycles run every three hours, close to the 3's (around 12 AM, 3 AM, 6 AM, 9 AM, 12 PM, 3 PM, 6 PM and 9 PM).

There is no way that a Site Staff member would have been able to adjust any recruiting actions that you have performed, unless they are the developer of the game. The current coach at Cincinnati in Yost is Site Staff, but is not a developer.

Given how these two Quarterbacks are originally ordered and displayed next to each other on your recruit list, are you sure that it isn't possible that you mistakenly sent these actions to the wrong recruit?

If you do not believe that you made these actions, we would recommend updating your password to verify that your account is secure.

Thank you.
6/19/2017 11:33 AM lyonzfan37
So there is zero chance he worked with a developer?

I am asking for the timestamps for subsequent actions. After the 9PM cycle.

I went to bed with 90k allocated to Williams, period.
6/19/2017 11:38 AM lyonzfan37
Not just the ones processed. The ones that were withdrawn.
6/19/2017 12:11 PM lyonzfan37
I meant to say Brown with 90k.
6/20/2017 8:12 AM Customer Support
Hi Kevin,

We do not see a history of you having $90k into Brown at any time during this recruiting period. We only see that you applied recruiting effort towards Williams between the 9 PM and 12 AM cycle on the 18th.

Thank you.
6/20/2017 9:18 AM lyonzfan37
Indulge me.

What actions did I perform for Thomas England?

Not just the processed ones.
6/20/2017 9:20 AM Customer Support
This is what we have for Thomas England:

6/17 12:00 PM, AC Scout Trip.

Thanks.
6/20/2017 9:46 AM lyonzfan37
Just so I'm certain here....you do not track the scheduling of an action, only the processing of the actions?
6/20/2017 9:54 AM Customer Support
With the scheduling of an action, are you referring to the GD reports tools? We have no affiliation with GD Reports.

The information we have provided thus far is all we can provide.

Thank you.
6/20/2017 10:00 AM lyonzfan37
You have no record of a campus visit ever being submitted for Thomas England? There were a number of them on the players history tab, then I withdrew them before the processing cycle.

I'm just trying to understand what is logged and what is not.
6/20/2017 1:54 PM Customer Support
We do not see any withdrawn actions when logged in under your account for Thomas England.

Where are you seeing these withdrawn actions?
6/20/2017 1:59 PM lyonzfan37
I did them on Sunday. My curiosity is if those are logged actions as well.
6/21/2017 12:42 PM lyonzfan37
Have you stopped answering my questions? I'm looking for answers.
6/21/2017 10:02 PM Customer Support
Hi Kevin,

All actions that are processed are logged. Any action that was withdrawn and did not get processed is not kept.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks.
6/22/2017 10:07 AM lyonzfan37
Yes. Based on that I cannot prove that guggendr was behind cancelling my actions and moving them to another player. However, you cannot prove that it did not happen as well.
7/26/2017 4:34 PM
3/8/2017 2:23 PM lyonzfan37
I have some questions regarding my recruiting for Michigan in Yost. I was head to head vs Cincinnati on three recruits. I am aware that this user is an employee of WIS.

I did happen to lose all three battles to the user, not unexpected. However, I did find it hard to believe that all three players signed on the exact same cycle. One player I put a significant amount of effort into. My understanding is that the players will sign according to the difference in effort between the two teams battling for a players services. I do not believe Cincinnati could have possibly put that much more effort into the player in question (Eugene Delgado) would've signed so quickly with his team versus mine.

79 campus visits, a guaranteed freshman start plus 60% promised playing time and I wasn't close? I'm very suspicious.
3/8/2017 3:03 PM Customer Support
Hi Kevin,

Who were the other two recruits?

Yes, the Cincinnati coach (guggendr) is site staff, but we can assure you that there was absolutely no tampering of the game, or the recruits on their part. That would be pretty evident if it were, and we hold all of our employees to a high standard when it comes to following Fair Play Guidelines and other internal company policies.

As far as Delgado, it looks like Cincinnati had put in more effort very early in the recruiting process. Depending on the recruit, the earlier you recruit, there is a chance for more effort you earn towards the recruit. We cannot give exact figures, but the money spent was pretty even, it's just that Cincinnati put more into Delgado earlier on in the process.

Hope this helps. Thank you!
3/8/2017 3:15 PM lyonzfan37
The other two recruits do not matter. However, they were LB Michael Hoffman and DB William Sullivan
I spent all of those funds, with the exception of 14 campus visits on the first day. I find it difficult to believe it was much more significant of a difference the 14 that were spend on signing day versus the 65 that were spent on the very first day.

If it is close as you say, the player never would sign the morning of the second day.
3/8/2017 8:10 PM Customer Support
Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, we cannot give out the specifics as to why they signed on the same cycle, but we can tell you this. After the first cycle, if Team A holds X% lead over Team B, the recruit will sign with Team A. That percentage then can change, given how early or late it is in recruiting.

It is just very strange that all three of these recruits were X% towards Cincinnati in the exact same cycle, but again, there is nothing that we can see here that says there was any nefarious actions by anyone recruiting these players.

Thank you.
7/26/2017 4:35 PM
In re: to Lyonzfanz....

WIS, we have a problem.
7/26/2017 4:41 PM
That sucks Lyonzfan........
7/26/2017 4:45 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
Do Admins Have Different "Vision"? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.